• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NBC's Community

Sunny Ghost

This is shocking. Abed is so INTP he's almost a caricature. Aside from maybe L (from Death Note), I'd be hard-pressed to find as clear-cut an INTP in my mind. That scene is, at best, carefully selected (and named). Even there, he's just n observer who found that he can play in terms of a certain system he observed. He's rather not so much manipulating as observing and behaving within the confines of a system.

I won't claim he CAN'T manipulate people, but he never does so for any real practical reason so much as to take his daydreams to the next level. To play at My Dinner With Andre, to pretend to be in a mafia movie, etc. And it's worth noting he spends almost all of his time fantasizing. I raise you the entire Christmas episode last year: one, long, drawn out daydream in Abed's head. Hell, these manipulations (including the mafia episode and the My Dinner With Andre episodes usually result in bad things for Abed (in terms of how the others see him): he never even considered the outcomes, he just wanted to play games.

As for the others:

Troy: ESFP. No doubt.
Shirley: ESFJ.
Jeff: ESTP. Too obsessed with appearances and disinterested in virtually anything else (with the exception of a few insightful moments about his friends) to be an N
Annie: ISFJ is right. She can't abide people not playing by the rules (freaking out over the pen, she's ratted on the crew a couple times) and tends to be sly and manipulative to that end. She's also very prone to overreact emotionally.
Britta: She's a little tough. She's clearly FP. I'd lean ISFP. A lot of her supposed political campaigning seems like a thin facade, a way to seem interesting or hip. She seems to spend a lot of time alone and in her head to me.
Pierce: This is the hardest. I feel like sometimes the show isn't sure how to use him so he can vary. He's a schemer, that's for sure, and he drives his friends away, implying he's more comfortable alone. INTJ.
Duncan: INTx. Lean J.
Dean Pelton: ESFx.
Chang: Very hard. He's riddled with mental issues.
I agree with these.

But to the bolded. :(

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I agree with these.

But to the bolded. :(

Well, I don't think I'd consider any of the Community characters the ideal representatives for their type. I mean, they also aren't the worst, but all of them have both the good and the bad going on.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just started watching the show. So good!

Jeff - ENFJ
Shirley - ESFJ
Troy - ESFP
Britta - ENFP
Abed - INTP
Annie - ISFJ
Pierce - ENTJ
Señor Chang - ESTP
Dean Pelton - INFP
Duncan - ENTP

I think Jeff came off ENTP in the first episode, but he definitely seems more Fe-Ni as the show goes on.

sgtmac_46

MBTI Type
ENTP
Jeff-Definitely ENTP......i've seen some folks say J, but they miss the point......the character's modus operandi is his desire to get by in life solely on his cleverness and wits, without any serious effort or preplanning whatsoever........his greatest compliment is to be seen as clever.

Britta-Some folks say ENFP, a few others ISFP.......first of all, she's definitely an NF.......she's not driven by a desire for freedom and fun but to be seen as authentic and compassionate.......she's a little too awkward in social situations to be an ENFP, however, she's definitely an INFP........

Shirley-ISFJ.......she's, again, a bit awkward in social situations, she's desires to be seen as helpful, thus her constant desire to bake, provide material comforts........and her predisposition to gossip are all hallmark ISFJ traits.

Troy-ESFP......entertainer

Abed-INTP........not sure where folks are getting INFJ from, as he's the anti-INFJ........probably because of his apparently intuitive pronouncements on everything, but this comes from his complete lack of emotional attachment and social filter.......Jeff said it best on the first episode when he noted Abed was the poster child for Aspergers.......there is no NF remotely present.......in fact, he's pretty much patterned as a character off of Star Trek NG's 'Data'.

Annie-ISxJ.....started out ISFJ.....increasingly an ISTJ as a character.......certainly demonstrating recently a tough-mindedness when pursuing her goals.

Pierce-ESFP? His character is a bit neurotic and hard to pin down......but I strongly suspect ESFP

Chang-Who knows?

Last edited:

I'm inclined to think that Britta is more of an Fe user. She's found a group she can identify with (the rebels) and she defends the ideals that go with it vigorously without putting them through the sort of internal processing you'd see in an Fi dom her age.

Anyway, I'm sufficiently entertained by the show that I don't really think of the characters' types while watching it.

bertoia

Jeff - ESTP
Shirley - ESFJ
Troy - ENFP
Britta - ENFJ
Abed - INTP
Annie - ISFJ
Pierce - ESTJ
Señor Chang - ExTx
Dean Pelton - ESFP
Duncan - INTJ

- I have seen zero Ne from Jeff, only Ti. He's critical of others' flaws and hates losing.
- Shirley is Fe-dom, self-explanatory. Si next, she likes tradition and security.
- Troy rides on Ne/Fi 99% of the time, just look at his idea-generating manner. Rarely thinks anything through, smiles a lot.
-
I'm inclined to think that Britta is more of an Fe user.
ia. She's close on Si vs. Ni, but I'm guessing Ni because of how well she reads people's inner stuff, almost unwittingly.
- Only INTx would make charts that complex. Feeling is Abed's inferior function. Ne vs. Ni is tough, but he plays off Troy's Ne too well to be J-type.
- Annie "expects everyone to be better than they are and herself to be better than anyone."
- Pierce is no N, he reacts to trends and joins cults. Demanding and confident, but foolishly brash.
- Dean Pelton wore a Gaga costume for Halloween.
- Duncan is far too control-oriented to be Ne-dom. He's also too concerned with "being emasculated" to be anything but Te-aux.

QED

jdegallo

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
so
Jeff - ENTP
Britta - ENFP
Annie - INFJ
Troy - ESFP
Abed - INTP
Pierce - ENTJ
Shirley - ESFJ

SStrange1

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think the problem with trying to type comedy characters is that they are always blown of proportion, and they often don't actually make sense--if they were perfectly consistent and realistic, they wouldn't be as funny. So I think when typing them you should try to do it based on what you think they are SUPPOSED to be. What the overall vibe from their character is--who they are mimicking, basically.
You guys type almost everyone as N, when in reality most of the population isn't!

This is my ever-so-humble attempt:
Jeff: ESTp
Annie: ISFJ
Abed: INTP
Troy: SP are the only ones that seem obvious
The Dean: ESP
Shirley: ESFJ
Britta: ....EStP

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't think Abed is an F. I say INTP. Troy is an extrovert.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Rewatching Community and loving every minute of it!

Jeff: ESTP - Very charismatic, cunning, and self-indulgent. But also very caring and perceptive.
Britta: ENFP - Of the granola girl variety.
Abed: INTP - Classic, and the character I relate to most.
Troy: XNFP - He's too on the same wavelength with Abed to be an S...OKAY FINE MAYBE ALSO ESFP.
Annie: ISFJ - Caring, anal and tightly wound. Holds herself to a high standard and tries to understand everyone at some level.
Shirley: ESFJ - Mama Bear, also anal, and is a lot more insistent upon forcing her beliefs on others. She tries, though, and wants the best for the group.
Pierce: ESTP - Honestly, though, I don't really know.

My two cents.

R

Riva

First of all [MENTION=9187]Within[/MENTION] thank you so much for recommending this show. I love it and you are awesome.

Jeff - ENTP
Shirley - ESFJ
Troy - ESTP
Britta - xNFP
Abed - xNxP
Annie - xxFJ
Pierce - ESTx
Se�or Chang � ExTP
Dean Pelton � ExFx

Jeff - ENTP (Enneagram 7 maybe?)
Britta - ISFP
Troy - ESxP < ESTP
Abed - IXXP ( Hard to type him because he is an obvious aspie.)
Chan - Sociopath (So it is best not to type him.)
Pierce - not sure
Shirley - ISFJ
Annie - ESFJ

I am so sorry to be dragging all of you here but I really needed to say that -

(1)

Shirley - ISFJ not ESFJ (Shirley is an introvert)
Annie - ESFJ not ISFJ (Annie is an extrovert)

I've noticed that most have typed Shirley as an ESFJ and Annie as an ISFJ. This is probably because there are two SFJs in the group and Annie seems to be the shy one and Shirley the confident one.

Yes Shirley is the disgusting bitch who tries to guilt trip everyone but she does it passively in an introverted manner, whereas Annie forces people to do things. Annie has her ideals and is ready to go down with the ship and she users force, much like an ExxJ would. Besides Annie is driven and ambitious the same way a stereotypical ESxJ would, has suffered teenage issues and is still recovering from them (which gives her an introverted vibe), whereas Shirley isn't forceful at all and her confidence (passive aggressive manipulation) is focused only on the group.

And if I am still not believable do a comparison between Shirley with Annie and tell me who the introvert and the extrovert is.

Sometimes it is better to simply stick with the basics (JTI and the E Vs I difference) than to complicate things.

(2)

And to beg you/Raz to please stay away from typing, probably for the rest of his life. I do however envy your dedication (research) to this one post. So please do not come to a decision based entirely on my recommendation.

R

Riva

Abed - IXXP ( Hard to type him because he is an obvious aspie.)

Okay I completed the 2nd season and is halfway through the 3rd.

I decided that Abed is an intoverted intuitive introverted type. Therefore he is either an INJ or an ISP. His Ni is too strong for it to be tertiary (ISP) therefore he is most likely an INJ.

Still I wouldn't put all my bets on whatever type I think he is because like I said earlier he is an extreme aspie.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jeff entp
britta infp pretending to be e
Shirley esfj
Annie isfj
Troy esfp
Abed intj (think of a forum member who loves movies with a similar personality)
Pierce mitt romney

R

Riva

Jeff entp
britta infp pretending to be e
Shirley esfj
Annie isfj
Troy esfp
Abed intj (think of a forum member who loves movies with a similar personality)
Pierce mitt romney

Pierce

Jeff is probably ENTP.

Britta is an ISFP not an intuitive. It is sad you can't see the difference between the two.
You have the E/Is mixed up in Shirley and Annie.
Troy is probably ESTP>ESFP.

And Abed, too much of an aspie for us to guess. INxJ or ISxP. I have a feeling though that he is a 4w5. If so INTJ would make sense.

R

Riva

I change my initial typing of Annie from ESFJ to ENFJ. She is so idealistic it's hard to ignore. Her law abiding nature is more of a do the right thing and be sympathetic Fe function than a SJ trait as I initially assumed.

L is very INTJ-ish. he's an INTP, but he has strong Ni

Is Jess a e3? I was hoping you'd have watched this show. Still not sure since your input in this thread hasn't been about anyone from the show.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm really loving this show so far. :D Anyone have any thoughts about the characters' types? These are just some shots in the dark to get the ball rolling.

Jeff - ENTP
Shirley - ESFJ
Troy - ESTP
Britta - xNFP
Abed - xNxP
Annie - xxFJ
Pierce - ESTx
Se�or Chang � ExTP
Dean Pelton � ExFx

Jeff is an ENTJ, 100%. He used to be a lawyer. He is hardly bizarre or quirky at all. Has a strong sense of what is normal, and likes to be in control.

Shirly, ESFJ for sure.

Troy ESTP yes.

Britta INTP - Britta is portrayed, especially in the first season, as this intellectual who knows a lot about what's going on in the world but doesn't actually ever do anything about it. She just flaunts her knowledge and uses it almost as a fashion statement. It provides a clear contrast when Annie and Shirley hear what she has to say about Guatemala or whatever and decide to have a baked goods drive for the cause. They are S, she is N. They are F, she is T.

Abed INTJ - A good example of this is the intricate notes he took about the women's behavior and from them realized when they were on their periods, and gave them chocolate. If that's not an INTJ caricature, what is?

Annie - ESFJ.

Pierce - ENTJ. He sees his younger self in Jeff and tries to control the group like Jeff, but he is old and outdated. He comes up with a lot of bizarre ideas that only Ns would come up with. Very non-S.

Chang - ENTP. Chang is very much an extrovert, very creative and bizarre, and has utterly no concern for what is normal. His viciousness is quite NTP, but again, clearly an extrovert.

Pelton - ENFJ.

yeah i think Abed's an INFJ

How is Annie an S not an N ?

She's not abstract, she's traditional, and she likes to fit in.

I'm not sure Abed is an F. He seems to only understand relationships and emotion in terms of form and formula, but not on its own instinctual merits. He looks like an F sometimes, but it's because pop culture has given him a logical framework through which he can shrewdly and accurately understand emotion while never actually becoming emotionally involved himself.