• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are there no ExxJ and ISJ entertainers or artists?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
According to this forum very few ESTJs, ESFJs, ENFJs, ENTJs, and ISJs act, sing, dance, write, or do anything related to the arts or creativity. It also seems like these types don't invent things, run companies (except for ENTJs...ESTJs are best a "middle management"), or appear on Ted.com. Most politicians are evidently ExTPs. Evidently these types do litter Fox News Channel.

Really people? I don't want a list of EJ and ISJ celebrities, I just want to know how people don't view this as a serious flaw in celebrity typings.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
According to this forum very few ESTJs, ESFJs, ENFJs, ENTJs, and ISJs act, sing, dance, write, or do anything related to the arts or creativity. It also seems like these types don't invent things, run companies (except for ENTJs...ESTJs are best a "middle management"), or appear on Ted.com. Most politicians are evidently ExTPs. Evidently these types do litter Fox News Channel.

The key to your answer is in bold.

VagrantFarce

Probably because there aren't many famous ones around. They certainly exist, I don't think anyone is disputing that. Off the top of my head:

ENTJ: James Cameron
ENFJ: Martin Scorsese
ISTJ: Tommy Lee Jones

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Probably because there aren't many famous ones around. They certainly exist, I don't think anyone is disputing that. Off the top of my head:

ENTJ: James Cameron
ENFJ: Martin Scorsese
ISTJ: Tommy Lee Jones

LOL, did you just answer my question with my own question?

I think many people are seeing what they want to see in celebrities and claiming their type, not that there aren't very many.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
You ask far too much of us.

Agreed.

Basically, a lot of celebrity typing on this forum (and on most online sites) is complete and utter B.S. In general, the best way to type a famous person is not to listen to online typing sites or forums, but instead to observe a conversation or interview with them and even better - notice their actions over time. Like you (proteanmix) said, typing of celebrities on a forum like this is a serious flaw.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
People can say SJs lack creativity, but I won't get into that, even if there is a negative correlation there. There are other reasons why we might not see tons of SJs in the arts.

Venturing to become a self-sufficient entertainer or artist is one of the least practical career choices one can make. So right off the bat, that goes against SJ Guardian sensibilities. Also, most people don't grow up in families and communities of entertainers and artists. If this were so, I'd wager we'd see more SJs in the arts, because of peer reinforcement.

I do think there are plenty of ExxJ entertainers though, proteanmix. Mostly ExFJs.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I agree with VagrantFrance. And ajblasie about ExFJs in the arts.

Off the top of my head, all I keep getting is Ivanka Trump (ISTJ).

VagrantFarce

LOL, did you just answer my question with my own question?

Buh? :thinking:

You asked why ESTJs, ESFJS, ENTJs etc. don't get typed that often as entertainers or artists, and I gave an explanation. It's easy to say that the people on this forum are biased toward their own type or some silly dismissive bollocks, but what's wrong with it simply being "there aren't as many famous celebrity SJs as there are famous celebrity NFs and SPs"? No one is saying they can't be, that's just reading something out of nothing. There aren't that many celebrity NTs either (certainly not compared to SPs and NFs) and you don't see them making this silly observation and calling its bluff.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Really people? I don't want a list of EJ and ISJ celebrities, I just want to know how people don't view this as a serious flaw in celebrity typings.
My profession is in the arts, and I think all the types you listed are represented rather well. I don't know all their test scores, but did have an opportunity to take voice lessons for a short period from a retired metropolitan opera tenor who tested as an ENFJ. From my understanding of it, I think Si is also well represented in musical performers. I think most performers tend to be extroverts, as are most of the types you listed.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ

You asked why ESTJs, ESFJS, ENTJs etc. don't get typed that often as entertainers or artists, and I gave an explanation. It's easy to say that the people on this forum are biased toward their own type or some silly dismissive bollocks, but what's wrong with it simply being "there aren't as many famous celebrity SJs as there are famous celebrity NFs and SPs"? No one is saying they can't be, that's just reading something out of nothing. There aren't that many celebrity NTs either (certainly not compared to SPs and NFs) and you don't see them making this silly observation and calling its bluff.

The quintessential NT fields (sciences) are dominated by NTs and the celebrated members of these fields are mostly NT.

SJs are most common in the sectors which are represented by others. For example an SJ working for Mac is represented in media by Steve Jobs, an ENTJ. An SJ working in the entertainment business is represented by a plethora of FP actors/producers/directors.

NTs have their celebrities, SJs don't.

I'm not quite ready to say it's a problem but it's certainly not making something of nothing.

VagrantFarce

The quintessential NT fields (sciences) are dominated by NTs and the celebrated members of these fields are mostly NT.

SJs are most common in the sectors which are represented by others. For example an SJ working for Mac is represented in media by Steve Jobs, an ENTJ. An SJ working in the entertainment business is represented by a plethora of FP actors/producers/directors.

NTs have their celebrities, SJs don't.

I'm not quite ready to say it's a problem but it's certainly not making something of nothing.

We're talking about entertainers and artists specifically, not just famous types in general.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
The reason NTs don't care is that they have their own fields.

SJs don't, and they have every right to care because of that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...Venturing to become a self-sufficient entertainer or artist is one of the least practical career choices one can make. So right off the bat, that goes against SJ Guardian sensibilities. Also, most people don't grow up in families and communities of entertainers and artists. If this were so, I'd wager we'd see more SJs in the arts, because of peer reinforcement.

Those are two big items right there.

Most of the SJs I know were brought up in other lifestyles.
Entertainment is also a risky career move, it's not a stable job and it involves lots of commitment often to the exclusion of relationships... or at least the relationships have to be a lot "flexier."
Also, art tends to involve a certain "freeness" inside that I know can scare ISFJs. P's and N's, I think, find it easier to let go and feel the vibes and go with it and explore; SFJs can be far more practical and want to reach a particular outcome and tend to structure the act within, rather than playing with it.
ISxJs also don't usually like the limelight, they're "behind the scenes" working style.

If you find the right art medium, maybe things will be easier.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

The reason why I disbelieve it is because people have no clue how to type others and base it on the most superficial and sketchy information available. For example, what if artists don't write their own lyrics or write with others? How do you know who's personality is shining through? Many artists have publicists and people that "train" them how to speak for interviews--even though the real person isn't completely obscured, there's still PR training.

And people realize their pop culture currency. They know the more outrageous and bizarre you are the longer you can stretch that precious 15 minutes.

Additionally, I think certain forms of entertainment would be more cozy to certain types rather than completely disregarding that type completely. For example, I think many stage and theater performers may be (I)SJ because of the nature of the performance (stability). I also think actors who prefer to stay in television (once again stability) rather than transition to film my indicate a preference. Actors that tend to be regarded as character actors may indicate a type preference rather than saying EJs and ISJs just don't exist in the arts. Also, I think more extroverts would prefer "leading" roles than character roles. I know two ISJ stage managers in the local theater scene that dabble in acting and they're quite good at what they do.

toonia, brought up the performing arts and that's another good one. Opera singers and professional musicians in orchestras or symphonies, professional dancers (ballet, tap, etc.) often overlooked because they're not in the public eye, but EJs and ISJs don't do these? I know we can only type people we've heard of, but people have a narrow view of the creative arts and how influential the ones we don't necessarily hear about are within their artistic communities.

I personally think many celebrities typed ExFP are ExFJ and people don't know how to separate general ExFx qualities from ExFP and ExFJ.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you're onto something with comments like these:

...think certain forms of entertainment would be more cozy to certain types rather than completely disregarding that type completely. For example, I think many stage and theater performers may be (I)SJ because of the nature of the performance (stability). I also think actors who prefer to stay in television (once again stability) rather than transition to film my indicate a preference. Actors that tend to be regarded as character actors may indicate a type preference rather than saying EJs and ISJs just don't exist in the arts. Also, I think more extroverts would prefer "leading" roles than character roles. I know two ISJ stage managers in the local theater scene that dabble in acting and they're quite good at what they do.

toonia, brought up the performing arts and that's another good one. Opera singers and professional musicians in orchestras or symphonies, professional dancers (ballet, tap, etc.) often overlooked because they're not in the public eye, but EJs and ISJs don't do these? I know we can only type people we've heard of, but people have a narrow view of the creative arts and how influential the ones we don't necessarily hear about are within their artistic communities.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Those are two big items right there.

Most of the SJs I know were brought up in other lifestyles.
Entertainment is also a risky career move, it's not a stable job and it involves lots of commitment often to the exclusion of relationships... or at least the relationships have to be a lot "flexier."
Also, art tends to involve a certain "freeness" inside that I know can scare ISFJs. P's and N's, I think, find it easier to let go and feel the vibes and go with it and explore; SFJs can be far more practical and want to reach a particular outcome and tend to structure the act within, rather than playing with it.
ISxJs also don't usually like the limelight, they're "behind the scenes" working style.

If you find the right art medium, maybe things will be easier.

Now that I think about it, it probably depends mostly on the culture. In places where ceremony and tradition are inseparably fused with art and entertainment, SJs are probably all about it. But in the West, art and entertainment is mostly secular and almost anti-tradition in some respects. Some part of the 1960s counter-culture stuck around for good.