User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    So you guys are saying that fantasy writers pander to their audience in this regard?
    Well, it's not my final answer. I'm just answering questions before I've decided whether I actually agree with my own suggestion again.

MBTI
    INTP

Related question: What percentage of protagonists in every novel ever are introverted?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    He was, not is. Sad loss...
    I know, it's a typo. So bloody sad I didn't even feel much sadness when David Eddings passed, but when he died I almost cried.
    Good thing that he left lots and lots of material to finish the story.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, but this doesn't explain why there is a connection in the first place between fantasy and Fi-based narrative schema. All you've explained here is what is.
    Well, I think it plays into people's idealism--we all like to believe that being honest and true to your conscience will lead to saving the day and getting the girl. That's almost universally appealing because we'd like it to be true even if it isn't really--this doesn't just apply in the fantasy genre, but across fiction in general.

Also a lot of fantasy writers are INFPs, which I think is because they're Ne types (usually into creative self-expression) and so they combine that creative bent with a desire to promote the values that are important to them through the themes of their work.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I know, it's a typo. So bloody sad I didn't even feel much sadness when David Eddings passed, but when he died I almost cried.
    Good thing that he left lots and lots of material to finish the story.
    Yeah. Haven't read any of Brian Sanderson's work before and I can't tell which parts of "The Gathering Storm" are his and not Jordan's, but I liked it though mainly because I like Egwene's part of the story.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Well, I think it plays into people's idealism--we all like to believe that being honest and true to your conscience will lead to saving the day and getting the girl. That's almost universally appealing because we'd like it to be true even if it isn't really--this doesn't just apply in the fantasy genre, but across fiction in general.

Also a lot of fantasy writers are INFPs, which I think is because they're Ne types (usually into creative self-expression) and so they combine that creative bent with a desire to promote the values that are important to them through the themes of their work.
    Yeah, this is most likely the case.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I know one counterexample, at least. The Wheel of Time, my absolute favorite.
    It is very innovative, and while related to the rest of the Fantasy genre, it is quite different even in sentiment.
    I also enjoyed this series greatly, at least the 5-6 first books, then if became boring, and didn't read the last few books.

Other popular series from the top of my head, that I think is even better is Malazan Book of the Fallen and my probably favorite A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

I'll have to think about if the characters are either ISFP or INFP. That would explain why I like them so much. But there is A LOT of characters in these series, so kinda doubt they are all these awesome types :P

MBTI
    ENTP

Wheel of Time... I've begun a few times and couldn't get through. I'm sorry... not a fan.

Is it really necessary for fantasy to 'favour' Fi?
    I mean, there is really awesome fantasy out there, but to me there are two sides to it.

1) The 'love conquers evil' Fi side. Quite okay with this, but I'm looking for something new.

2) Dragons, magic,... you name it. Love this!

Does that have to occur at the same time?

Or, more relevant to my case, if I create a story where (2) is fulfilled but love doesn't enhance magic at all; love has only the effects it also has in the real world,...would you still call it fantasy?

My 'fantasy' world is based on a sort of magic that is as indifferent to morality as the laws of physics in this world. You can use the same magic for good and for evil. You can kill by accident... You get stronger at magic by exercise, not by knowing yourself... In short, it's an ENTP world. With an ESTJ heroine in it Can this still be called fantasy? If not, what should I call it?
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Fi is very heroic, I think. Justice, Chivalry, etc. Although, I still think there is a very evil side to Fi, if your values are evil ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    Related question: What percentage of protagonists in every novel ever are introverted?
    answering this would require A LOT of reading and I can't even finish one book. Either way I don't think it would be any special variable. Although IMO the introverted hero tends to be a bit more reluctant to commit to being a hero at first.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    Fi is very heroic, I think. Justice, Chivalry, etc. Although, I still think there is a very evil side to Fi, if your values are evil ones.
    I've got an INFP villain - not 100% evil, but so 'out of the world' that he'd blow up the universe to cleanse his soul.

Although IMO the introverted hero tends to be a bit more reluctant to commit to being a hero at first.
    Which is a staple in fantasy... the hero who has to "accept his destiny". Just imagine an ESTJ "chosen one":
    "So I've got to kill Evil One and I'm the only one who can do it? ENTP, I want that gun you're talking about operational by Friday. I've got to find my true love first? Okay, I'll get on it now. I don't really understand what it has to do with the matter, but I'll play by the rules. INFJ Mentor, stop speaking in riddles and just tell me what to do."
    The story would be over in fifty pages
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women