• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

harry potter characters

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Luna Lovegood: Autistic INFP

There's no way she's Ti dominant. She actually believes all the tripe in her father's magazine. She's an expert on weird creatures, and is interested in it to the exclusion of most other things. In many conversations, she mentioned 'facts' or ideas from the Quibbler. That's very Autistic, viewing the world largely in how it relates to her savant interest. She isn't connected to criticism, because she's abnormally detached from reality in general. Yet, she's also kind and has an underlying sense of warmth about her. I think she has Aspergers.

Her weird beliefs are the strongest argument against her being a T of any kind (that and the garish paintings in her room, laced with the word "friends"). However, there just isn't any evidence of inner sensitivity or strong values. She is perfectly objective and can predict and dismiss criticism, both towards herself and her beliefs (and her father), without any emotional perturbation or permanent dislike of the critic. She never has any moral or ethical indignation over the actions of others, even when she is treated in ways that most would consider to be "wrong" on some level. She has perfectly sensible explanations of the phenomena that she believes in, but these phenomena just don't exist. It's like she's practicing logic in an alternate world of her own (and her father's), and this alternate world is abstract and has no basis in reality.

Perhaps, as someone suggested, she is an ENTP. The dominant intuition could explain her better.

Or she could be so far removed from reality that she doesn't even perceive criticism, which sometimes seems like it's the case based on the way she simply ignores people's criticisms of the Quibbler. In that case, I could see super-deluded INFP for her as well. It's just that she has none of that "quest for identity" thing going on...in fact, she has probably one of the strongest senses of self of any of the characters, in the face of all criticism and unpopularity. Also, she has no problem inserting herself unwanted into a group if that's what she desires, and this is something that I would think a sensitive INFP would rather die than do (to voluntarily be where they know they are unwanted? Ludicrous!). And I don't see her as warm at all...she was totally detached all the time, even in traumatic situations and in the face of death (Dobby's death, for instance).

Anyway, I can't believe I'm arguing over the personality of a pathetically underdeveloped character that appears in only 3 of the Harry Potter books. Lol.

MBTI Type
INxJ
^ That's why I think she's autistic. That explains the lack of sensitivity and her overly detached state.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
^ That's why I think she's autistic. That explains the lack of sensitivity and her overly detached state.

Yeah, that is one possible explanation. I have no argument against it, heh, but mostly because I only know basic things about what autism/Asperger's entails.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Harry: ISFP
Hermione: i think INTJ as she is smart and efficient but actually starts to care far less about rules later on in the series and more about efficienty. I think the whole rules thing is a reaction to being so different from her peers. Also NT girls seem to be good at faking F and that might make her appear INFJ.
Ron: ISTP as he is emotionally just plain terrible. Also he seems at the burrow to be very practical and when he goes all E with lavender he acts like a complete prick ie an unhealthy ESTP
Wesley Twins: ENTP. T because they are practical and very ambitious and have no cares about screwing someone over with a prank.
Neville: Not sure. ISFJ at first but he grow so much in the later half of the series that he appears almost an ISTP.
Ginny: Hmm. ENTP or ENTJ maybe. She is very cunning and sporty. And her general way of acting makes me think of a female ENTJ. She is also very like the twins at times.
Luna: INTP. T because she is in ravenclaw.
Draco: ESTP because he is a cocky prick but smart.
Snape: INTJ clearly because of his efficientness.
Dumbledore: I think he is a very healthy xNTP as he is cocky, smart and genius when young but quite naive but when older the old wise eccentric nutcase seems to fit a healthy INTP perfectly. Especially the muggle sweets thing and the blatent disregard for authority. Also him and Luna share a lot qualities i think in their abstract sillyness at times.
Lupin: INxP. Not sure about t or f seems to be a good mix of both.
McGonnigal: ESTJ
Voldemort: INTJ. I because he is very planning orientated and despite his charisma when older he still doesn't seem to need people except to manipulate.
Molly Weasley: ESFJ definatly.
Arthur Weasley: ENTP. Maybe a very E ish INTP.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry: ISFP (really moody and emotional with an undercurrent of crazy badass)
Hermione: ISTJ, ESTJ or ENTJ
Snape: INTJ (hands down. harncore Ni to the max)
Ron: ESFP
Malfoy: ESTP
Dumbledore: INFJ
Voldemort: INTP or INTJ
Molly Weasley: ESFJ
Arthur Weasley: ENTP
Fred and George: ENFP or ENTP (creative, intelligent, funny, easily board)
Luna Lovegood: ridiculously INFP, detached, imaginative, literally talks in Fi
McGonnigal: ENTJ or ESTJ
Neville: IF something
Percy: ESTJ or ISTJ
Sirius: FP something

Split_Infinitive

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Oh dear my view on Luna is really quite different. I think she is more tuned into everything that's going on around her than anyone else. She may come across as detached in her attitude, but to me her actions speak quite the opposite. She was the only one who understood that after the final battle Harry needed to get away from all the hoopla and be alone, while everyone else wanted to celebrate with him, for example. Yes she's a bit loopy and off with the fairies and not highly expressive in her emotions, but she reads people better than anyone else! Another example of that is that she recognised Harry when he was polyjuiced at Bill and Fleur's wedding.

As for Dumbledore, I am with the NT people on that one. Yes, Dumbledore is kind and feeling and he loves Harry etc. but he is also the chess master. He was the one moving the pieces, orchestrating the whole thing. And he didn't let his feelings for his protege get in the way of what had to be done. An INFJ would not have been able to let Harry get killed in the process.

Now, Snape remains tough one to type. Although I do think Snape may come across as an INTJ at first, in my opinion he is far too hotheaded for that. The way he has lead his life, the whole Lily thing ... it's so irrational and messy. Initially his actions may seem calculated and logical and well-reasoned, but they are all severely coloured by this selfish need to be punished for what he did. I can't see him as an NF either because everything he did was just for himself, not for "the greater good". He's not an idealist.

Having chatted about this with my INTJ friend, we have no conluded that we think he was a very dysfunctional ISTJ. Read the description on ISTJ - that fits him really well. He had a strong sense of duty, he needed for people to follow the rules, he really couldn't stand Harry's rule breaking and mouthing off. He also had this strong sense of right and wrong (though it could change to fit his situation), he kinda relished the fact that DD relied on him, it made him feel important. He really did feel like he was the one who would end up making the difference, and that no one could do what he could. And look at the whole potions thing, it is such an S field. You HAVE to follow the recipe TO THE LETTER. Yes. ISTJ it is.

Split_Infinitive

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Uh...why?
Sorry, let me make that a bit more nuanced. Of course he knew that the only way in which Voldemort could be destroyed completely was if Harry died. It had to be done. But the way he went about this was not very INFJ in my opinion. INFJ's aren't about the most effective way, but about the kindest way - the process being as important as the result. DD let Harry come to all the necessary conclusions on his own. That was probably the most effective way - trying to convince someone they have to die is less effective than trying to make them come to that conclusion themselves. However, an INFJ would not have thought this very fair. It would bother them too much to withold crucial information. They would have preferred to give Harry all the facts, plus personal opinions, rather than leaving things unsaid and leaving Harry to come to his own realisations. It is the kinder way. Like I said, probably not the most effective, but that is not that relevant for an INFJ. DD made Harry feel very alone a lot of the time. When DD died, he was ready to die, and he believed he left Harry with all the knowledge and beliefs he needed to complete the task. But Harry knew there were things that DD hadn't told him, that he was missing a lot of information, and when DD died, Harry felt very alone and deserted.

So, in short, Dumbledore handled things in the most effective way. But not in a way an INFJ would feel comfortable with.

Split_Infinitive

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
What makes you think Dumbeldore was comfortable with how he handled things?
I'm not sure I understand, are you saying you disagree with my theory? If so, why and how? It seems that you are missing the forest of my theory for the one tree of that single sentence. :)

redacted

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying you disagree with my theory? If so, why and how? It seems that you are missing the forest of my theory for the one tree of that single sentence. :)

I disagree with your theory because it seems quite clear to me that Dumbeldore is INFJ. The fact that he makes tough decisions certainly doesn't rule out ANY type. To say that an INFJ couldn't sacrifice one for many is a total misapplication of typology.

I'm not reading one sentence and throwing out the rest of the theory. I'm responding to the sentences that stick out most to me. But yeah, your theory is off IMO.

He seems like an obvious INJ, and he's definitely Fe/Ti over Te/Fi.

(Have you read Ender's Game [more importantly, the sequels when Ender is older]? Dumbeldore and Ender seem very similar actually. Ender's another example of an INFJ that makes tough decisions like that.)

MBTI Type
INxJ
Yeah, that is one possible explanation. I have no argument against it, heh, but mostly because I only know basic things about what autism/Asperger's entails.

What do you think about this?

Symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder:

• Weak interpersonal skills
  • Difficulty expressing anger, even when provoked
  • "Loner" mentality; avoidance of social situations
  • Appear to others as remote, aloof, and unengaged
  • Low sexual desire
  • Unresponsive to praise or criticism

It is important to distinguish schizoid from avoidant. Avoidants will feel anxiety in social situations and have the desire to fit in, while schizoids simply prefer to be alone. It is occasionally difficult to distinguish between schizoid and Asperger's, as well.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Okay, so according to the DSM-IV you have to have at least 4 of these symptoms to be diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder:

1. neither desires nor enjoys close relationships, including being a part of a family.
This does not fit Luna as she has a pretty close relationship with her father.

2. almost always chooses solitary activities
This is hard to say, as we don't really know what Luna does outside of her interaction with Harry. There are signs of a preference for solitary activities, though, as she is always seen wandering by herself and is frequently absorbed in some weird activity by herself. I think actively seeking out the companionship of Harry and his friends goes strongly against this pattern, however. It indicates a desire for contact with others.

3. has little, if any, interest in having sexual experiences with another person
Couldn't really say in her case, though there is no evidence of sexual interest in the book.

4. takes pleasure in few, if any, activities
This doesn't seem to be true for her. She is highly interested in pursuing activities related to her weird theories.

5. lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
This is pretty much true of Luna.

6. appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others
This is true as well.

7. shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affectivity
The way she is presented in the book, she has strong detachment.

So she fits 3 criteria strongly, fits 2 a little bit, and fits 2 none at all. Also, even if she were strongly Schizoid, is this indicative of INFP? It seems like avoidant would be more of an INFP thing (and she is totally not avoidant).

MBTI Type
INxJ

I agree with this assessment. What about Asperger's?

Diagnostic Criteria for 299.00 Autistic Disorder
  1. A total of six (or more) items from (1), (2), and (3), with at least two from (1), and one each from (2) and (3):
    1. qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
      1. marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
      2. failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
      3. a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest)
      4. lack of social or emotional reciprocity
    2. qualitative impairments in communication as manifested by at least one of the following:
      1. delay in, or total lack of, the development of spoken language (not accompanied by an attempt to compensate through alternative modes of communication such as gesture or mime)
      2. in individuals with adequate speech, marked impairment in the ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
      3. stereotyped and repetitive use of language or idiosyncratic language
      4. lack of varied, spontaneous make-believe play or social imitative play appropriate to developmental level
    3. restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
      1. encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
      2. apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
      3. stereotyped and repetitive motor manners (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
      4. persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
  2. Delays or abnormal functioning in at least one of the following areas, with onset prior to age 3 years: (1) social interaction, (2) language as used in social communication, or (3) symbolic or imaginative play.
  3. The disturbance is not better accounted for by Rett’s Disorder or Childhood Disintegrative Disorder

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry: INFP
Ron: ISFJ
Hermione: ISTJ
Malefoy: ENTJ