• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

harry potter characters

redacted

Harry - ISFP
Ron - ESFP
Hermione - ISTJ
Twins - ENTP
Snape - INTJ
Dumbeldore - INFJ
Luna - INFP
Voldemort - ENTJ

booksorcerer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Harry is ISFP... he lives in the moment, is moved more easily by sentiment than logic, but prefers the company of a select few. It isn't that he can't be tough (he plays Quidditch to win), but gave out second chances to Malfoy when the room of requirement was burning up, and another one to Voldemort when he knew it was kill or be killed (while Voldemort rejected the side-offer of remorse, Harry still offered it).

Hermonine is ESTJ. Her basic nature is to follow the rules, a very SJ trait. She is also outgoing, but her Hogwarts years probably were not kind to her as a straightlaced intellectual girl is not a trait females of her age gravitate towards.

Ron is ESFP. He also lives in the moment, but likes people, and is friends with most people he knows. He's not very intellectual, but stands by his friends.

Percy is classic ESTP. Top grades, total belief in the government, law and order, and a law abiding member of the community. He's government type, rules and regulations, and only in the end does he see that maybe the rules are wrong.

Fred and George: ENFP. They LOVE to be the center of attention, and everything from Quidditch to their joke shop supports that. Yeah, it is flashy magic, but it sells, and the twins knew it.

Arther and Molly Weasely: ESTP and ESFP. Pillars of the community, respected and loved by most, and a traditional family with the husband in a solid government job, and the wife the homemaker. It changed during wartime, but they always have been the traditional couple.

Albus Dumbledore: INTJ. Smart, bookish, an arrogant intellectual snob... capable of loving very deeply a select few. He had his endgame planned from the start, and Harry was always a pawn to it. Eliminating Voldemort meant human sacrifices. He did grow to love Harry, but like with Grindlewelt, it didn't suppress his ultimate game.

Snape: INTJ. INTJs are capable of love, but only a few and very deeply. The opposite is true as well; they can carry a deep grudge. Snape has been the ideal triple agent, a reclusive man who favors most of Voldemort's ideals. But when he murdered Lilly, he crossed an unbreakable line. Love can turn to hate, and INTJs can easily turn the fabric of it on it's head. Love for Lilly turned her murder into hatred for Voldemort. A goal for an INTJ is a holy grail Snape grasped at the end.

Aberborth: He's probably ESFP. As a barman, he has to deal with the public, and he had a deep love for his sister. He wasn't big on being clean, and only reluctantly gave his aid at the end. Still, while in the shadow of his highly respected brother, perhaps he can take a quantum of solace in learning his brother felt he was the more admirable of them.

Ginny Weasley: ESTP: NOBODY tells her what to do, from her older brothers, to her parents. She's a great Quiddicth player, but smart and determined. She wants to go into battle, and has proved herself in it.

Luna: An amazing INTP. She lives in her own world, not caring to make friends (but deeply loves the ones she has). She has an amazing brain coupled with theoretical know how, and somehow regards real-life war as nothing more than a classroom exercise. She's also totally fearless. She may know some outcomes of her choices, but as an optimist, she thinks things will work out in the end.

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
Why would Percy be ESTP? It's quite unclear to me why blindly respecting the rules is something specific to an SP? I would say that Percy is definetly a J.

And I am also pretty sure that Molly is an ESFJ, because she is always so ... suffocating and motherlike.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Harry Potter MBTI, because I'm a big fat nerd

I'm sure there are various minor characters I've forgotten here and there, but I based these on having read all seven books.

kids

Harry Potter - ISFP
Ron Weasley - ISTP
Hermione Granger - ISTJ
Neville Longbottom - INFJ
Cedric Diggory - ESFJ
Cho Chang - INFP
Luna Lovegood - INFJ
Draco Malfoy - ENTJ
Crabbe and Goyle - ISTP and ESTP? Can't remember which is which.
Ginny Weasley - ENFJ
Fred and George Weasley - both ESFP
Percy Weasley - ISTJ
Fleur Delacour - ESFP
Victor Krum - INTJ
Lee Jordan - ENFP
Parvai Patil - INFJ
Padma Patil - ISFJ
Ernie Macmillan - ESFJ
Dean Thomas - INTP
Seamus Finnigan - ISTP
Colin Creevey - ISFJ
Oliver Wood - ISTP
Dudley Dursley - ESTJ

teachers/hogwarts staff

Albus Dumbledore - ENTP
Severus Snape - INTJ
Minerva McGonagall - ESTJ
Remus Lupin - INFP
Rubeus Hagrid - ESFJ
Gilderoy Lockhart - ENFP
Mad-Eye Moody - ESTP
Madame Hooch - ESTP
Quirrell (his outward mask, anyway) - ISFJ
Argus Filch - ISTJ
Sybil Trelawney - INFJ
Firenze - INTJ
Prof. Flitwick - ENFP
Dolores Jane Umbridge - ESTJ ftw!
Prof. Sprout - ISTJ
Barty Crouch, Sr. - ISTJ

parents/ghosts/other adults, muggles and creatures/misc.

Mr. Arthur Weasley - ENFP
Mrs. Molly Weasley - ESFJ
Charlie Weasley - INTP
Bill Weasley - ENFJ
James Potter - ENTP
Lily Potter - INFJ
Vernon Dursley - ESTJ
Petunia Dursley - ESFJ
Cornelius Fudge - ESTJ
Sirius Black - INTP (possibly ENTP, can't quite decide)
Amos Diggery - ISFJ
Igor Karkaroff - ENTJ
Rita Skeeter - ENFJ
Nearly Headless Nick - INFP
Dobby - ISFJ
Kreacher - INTJ
Moaning Myrtle - ESFJ
Aberforth Dumbledore - ISTP
Nymphadora Tonks - ENFJ
Kingsley Shacklebolt - INFJ
Peeves the Poltergeist - ESTP

villains

Voldemort - ENTJ (as Tom Riddle he was perhaps INTJ)
Lucius Malfoy - ESTJ
Bellatrix Lestrange - ESTP
Peter Pettigrew/Wormtail - ISTP
Barty Crouch, Jr. - INTJ
Fenrir Greyback - ESTP

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
There are already threads on this subject in the Popular Culture Type part of the forum, but I must say that I'm amused you typed Kreacher as INTJ.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
First off- I've read every Harry Potter book 3+ times each, and have read the 3rd 8 times now. I have sen ever movie out hundreds of times, and I even visit a few Harry Potter fan sites, like Mugglenet.

That being said, I have thought long and hard towards their types, and with everything I know towards Harry Potter- this is what I have.

Harry Potter: ISFP

Harry is in the Griffyndor house, which in and of itself is an FP house- fighting for what they believe in. Harry is total non comformist, he avoids people, is very curious of things, likes to get cement evidence to put towards his theories, he isn't extremely logical, practical, or insightful, but acts spontaneously based on his emotions.

Ron: ESFP

Ron is definitely SP, no doubt about it, he likes getting assurance from people around him (E), he sticks up for Harry even if means getting in trouble or risking safety (F), he defends his family values (F) and he is a perfect match as best friends with Harry. He also lacks a little self confidence, which doesn't necesarily an ESFP thing..

Hermione: ISFJ -> INFJ

She is clearly a SJ at the beginning of the storyline especially with how stuck up and prudy she was. But as the story got more involved, she really sets aside his little miss rule follower character and starts providing for Harry and his overall goal, in which, you can say she is more like an INFJ. If it weren't for her, Harry would have never made it through the Triwizard tournament, as well as other things she's pulled Harry through. She is secretive, especially with the time turner in the third book, and she can often see events as they are unfolding. They gives off a motherly vibe to Harry- something clear of her INFJ, and she is the strength he needs throughout the book.

Dumbledore: INFJ

This is pretty much a given, as he is very wise, and is rarely lead the wrong way. His intellect is sharp, his mind weary and sharp. His wit is sharp, and he almost gives off a bit of a silly character. From the seventh book, we find out about Dumbledore's past- how smart and perfect he was as a kid, his need for adventure, and his interest in the Deathly Hallows- which one can infer is very INFJ-like. He is very sensative and cares deeply for Harry as an individual (Fi).

Hagrid: ISFJ

Hagrid is a teddy bear- admitt it. He is very sensative- as with Norbert the dragon from the first book. He doesn't fight for justice- yet stands up for Harry and his values even though it risks his status as a teacher. He is definitely SJ, though, as he doesn't see the plot too clearly throughout the book.

Draco Malfoy: He seems very ESTJ, maybe ESTP.

Draco is a tough one, even with study. He is surely an EST, as he is constantly aggitating Harry and looking for trouble and trying to get back at Harry. His roll in the 6th book may show an ESTP side to him, and how much of a struggle it was for him to fix the disappearing chair in the room of requirments. He sees his destiny as a death eater (even though he doesn't end up bad in the very end of the 7th), and is loyal to them.

Arthur Weasley/Weasley twins- ENTP.

No doubt about it- they love experimenting, Arthur is fascinated with Muggle's- something that not the average wizard would be interested in. Arthur is clever, intelligent, and yet very loyal and supportive of his family, which may argue with ENTP- but his overall character is ENTP...The twins- obviously ENTPs- very playfull, always pulling pranks, are extremely ingeniuos, clever, and are always inventing things- hense the name "Inventor" for ENTP.

Ginny: INTJ

Could be open to anything, though I'm leaning towards INTJ or maybe ISTJ. She seems pretty straightforward, and quiet.

Snape: INTP

I know there is a lot of fuss about him being an INTJ, but you must look into him. He lives a terrible life, was made fun of all throughout school, and struggled with what side he belonged to, though we know he was loyal to Dumbledore. He is an overall mystery throughout most of the storyline, he's very intelligent, witty, dark, and clever (INT). I'm saying P for I can see the internal struggles he was constantly facing, and how not straightforward he is. If he was a J, he'd be a little easier to understand and type and straightforward.

Voldemort: INTJ

NO WAY IS HE AN ENTJ, as is clearly states numerous times throughout the 6th and 7th for his want of solitude, and how he preferred to do things on his own. He had is own agenda- his own plan and stuck with it. He was curious, extremely intelligent, and sort of self absorbed, though he lived a tragic life. He had a small exclusive group of followers and was never open to any of their ideas, and never ever talked about himself or his life. INTJ fits Voldemort like..like..something that fits another thing very well!

Lupin: INFP

Lupin was the quiet, sensative, secretive on of the group when he was in school with james, sirius, and peter. His story was a secret, and only his friends knew for a long time of his second life. He treated Harry as an individual (Fi), and overall gave off a very seclusive, quiet, mellow vibe- INFP.

Sirius/James- ESTP

Sirius and James were pranksters, and goofed off quite a bit, as we so often were told throughout the stories. Though they both may also be ESFPs, the two of the were warriors at heart, and stood up against the evil in the world.

Neville: ISFP

Neville is a lot like Harry, surprisingly, yet they have both lived two very different lifes. He is quiet, self conscious, has a low self esteem, and is a very curious kid. He is frank, kind, and you can't not like him. He sticks up for his values- as seen in the 5th book where he tries to avenge his parents when he meets Bellatrix. He has lived a sad life, almost as sad as Harry's, but we have to infer that as the story is of Harry's perspective, in a way.

Recap:

Harry: ISFP
Hermione: ISFJ -> INFJ
Dumbledore: INFJ
Hagrid: ISFJ
Snape: INTP
Draco: ESTP/ESTJ
Arthur/Weasley Twins: ENTP
Ginny- INTJ/ISTJ
Voldemort: INTJ
Lupin: INFP
Sirius/James- ESTP (maybe ESFP).
Neville: ISFP

House types-

Gryffindor- xSFP - the value warriors
Hufflepuff- xSTJ - the equality supervisors
Ravenclaw- xNxJ- The intellectual wisemen
Slytherin- xxTJ - the exclusive purebloods

Further...

Molly Weasley- ESFJ
Luna Lovegood- INFP
Trelawney- INTP
McGonnigal- ENTJ
Dobby- ESFP
Kreacher- ISTP
Dudley- ISTJ
Vernon- ESTJ
Petunia- ISTJ
Cedirc Diggory- ENFP

redacted

Want of solitude doesn't make Voldemort I. He's clearly Te dominant.

Also Hermione is definitely ISTJ.

deleted
Snape has an INTP vibe going on.

Voldemort has an ENTJ vibe going on. Possibly XNTJ.

Dumbledore has an INFJ vibe going on.

They are very interesting N characters. I don't see anybody as an INTJ unfortunately. Voldemort is the closest. The first book gave me the impression that Voldemort was an INTJ, but later on his strong Te becomes more apparent. The books/movies would be better with one, if one of the already main characters were one.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Harry: ISFP
Hermione: ISTJ
Snape: INTx
Voldemort: ENTJ
Weasley Twins: ExTP

Luna Lovegood: Autistic INFP

There's no way she's Ti dominant. She actually believes all the tripe in her father's magazine. She's an expert on weird creatures, and is interested in it to the exclusion of most other things. In many conversations, she mentioned 'facts' or ideas from the Quibbler. That's very Autistic, viewing the world largely in how it relates to her savant interest. She isn't connected to criticism, because she's abnormally detached from reality in general. Yet, she's also kind and has an underlying sense of warmth about her. I think she has Aspergers.

Dumbledore: xNTx
"Although [Dumbledore] seems to be so benign for six books, he's quite a Machiavellian figure, really. He's been pulling a lot of strings. Harry has been his puppet," she explained. "When Snape says to Dumbledore [toward the end of 'Hallows'], 'We've been protecting [Harry] so he could die at the right moment' — I don't think in book one you would have ever envisioned a moment where your sympathy would be with Snape rather than Dumbledore."

While Dumbledore grew to care for Harry, the goal above all, drove him. He never forgot that. That's typical of Ts that work towards a cause they believe in. They concentrate on the overall picture, not the individual people. INFJs aren't usually the type to scheme and manipulate. Nor do they usually sacrifice others for their goals. They would be the martyr first.

Sinister Scribe

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Snape: INTx
Voldemort: ENTJ

Luna Lovegood: Autistic INFP

There's no way she's Ti dominant. She actually believes all the tripe in her father's magazine. She's an expert on weird creatures, and is interested in it to the exclusion of most other things. In many conversations, she mentioned 'facts' or ideas from the Quibbler. That's very Autistic, viewing the world largely in how it relates to her savant interest. She isn't connected to criticism, because she's abnormally detached from reality in general. Yet, she's also kind and has an underlying sense of warmth about her. I think she has Aspergers.

Snape is hard to pin down, mostly because I have a hard time understanding the difference between an INTJ and an INTP. I would lean more towards INTJ with him, though, as everything he does seems deliberate. INTJs get made fun of at school, too.

With Voldemort/Tom Riddle, Dumbledore repeatedly says that Riddle never longed for companionship. Seems to scream out introversion to me. I've heard him typed as an INTP (wtf?), an INTJ and an ENTJ. After re-reading the books, it seems like Tom would have been an INTJ who, as Voldemort, has learned to masquarade and show outer qualities of an ENTJ. But doesn't the introversion/extroversion dichotemy have more to do with internal desires and needs rather than what one appears to the outer world? I would still type him as an INTJ, though possibly leaning towards more towards xNTJ.

Tee hee! When I read the books, I totally pictured Luna as an NF. Since she's a Ravenclaw, she'd probably have to have some level of proficiency with her thinking, but that doesn't mean it has to be dominant (I'd type Flitwick as an ExFP, based on the types of lessons he gives and the little we see him interacting in the books).

OneWithSoul said:
Ginny: INTJ

Could be open to anything, though I'm leaning towards INTJ or maybe ISTJ. She seems pretty straightforward, and quiet.

I have an extremely hard time seeing Ginny as an INTJ. She is quite flirty with the boys. I'd say ENFJ or maybe ENTJ. It would also fit in better with her family, as almost all the other Weasleys (we don't know much about Charlie) are extroverted.

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Harry ISFP
Ron ISTP - not an F, too emotionally retarded and awkward in expressing feelings

Hermoine ESTJ

Dumbledore ENTP – Understandably people see the wise old man (INFJ) archetype in the matured version of him, but consider his backstory, too; he’s an NT temperament and a thrill-seaking adventurer who lacked wisdom and recklessly sought forbidden knowledge in his youth.

Voldemort ENTJ – not quite all evil sorcerers are INTJs
Snape INTJ
Draco Malfoy ENTJ
Ginny ENFJ
Twins ENTP – Fred for sure, but I wonder if George is another type
Mr. Weasley ENFP
Mrs. Weasley ESFJ
Luna ENTP
Sirius Black ESTP
Lupin INTP
Filch ISTJ

Last edited:

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If the characters are this hard to type, either
a) the movie and book versions create differing characterisations
b) J K Rowling wrote inconsistent and poorly fleshed out characters
c) J K wrote such fantastically complex and deep characters that they are difficult to type as they are so wonderfully deep and complex

I know which one I'd opt for ;)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
D) Everyone's understanding of mbti is so varied that consensus is impossible.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It's hard for me to see Voldemort an ENTJ, but it's all speculation- I can't claim him to be INTJ, and you can't claim him to be ENTJ.

He's such a troubled individual and really the only people that know his whole story are Harry and Dumbledore, and the vast majority wasn't from Voldemort. He carries a huge burden, story, struggle, and trouble inside of him, and his life in solitude only adds to his character as an evil vilian. He's not open to others, and does't rely on anyone to anything. Yes, you may argue, but Voldemort is so incredibly messed up that it's really hard to nail a type on him.

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
If the characters are this hard to type, either
a) the movie and book versions create differing characterisations
b) J K Rowling wrote inconsistent and poorly fleshed out characters
c) J K wrote such fantastically complex and deep characters that they are difficult to type as they are so wonderfully deep and complex

I know which one I'd opt for ;)

D) Everyone's understanding of mbti is so varied that consensus is impossible.

c & d

It's hard for me to see Voldemort an ENTJ, but it's all speculation- I can't claim him to be INTJ, and you can't claim him to be ENTJ.

It goes without saying that typing fictional characters is not an exact science, as typing itself is not an exact science. And typing a sociopath is even more of a crapshot.

R

Riva

Harry - IXFP

Ron - Definitely ISTP (one word man, not that friendly, opinionated, angry, EXTREMELY LOYAL to his friends, physical, LAID BACK, private, attached to his friends, doesn't move around to make new friends. so can;t be ESFP right?)

Hermione - ESTJ (rules are meant to be obeyed, Extremely hard working, organized, group oriented, focused, conventional, leader, emotionally stable, espects authority, punctual, hard working, stiff, self confident, normal, regular, does not like weird or strange people / things - intolerant of differences, strict, disciplined) copied everything from JUNG TYPE DESCRIOTIONS.

Dumbledore - ENTP ( a very mature ENTP)

Minerva McGonagall - ISTJ

Molly Weasley - ESTJ

Arthur Weasley - ESFP

Weasley Twins - ENTP

R

Riva

Luna lovegood - INFP (i thought this was obvious, but i don't know many INFPs)