• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

harry potter characters

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
""I used to think INFJ for him too, but after the last book, I'm thinking more I/ENTJ. He's learned to FAKE personal interest in people over the many decades of his life, but this personal interest simply wasn't there when he was younger. In fact, even INTJ remains iffy for me, because a normal INTJ would have cared about his sick little sister (Tertiary Fi) far more than Dumbledore did when he was young. Also, I'm not so sure about him being an Introvert: he seems reclusive *when seen through Harry's eyes*, but that doesn't mean much. As the Headmaster, he would have a social life that Harry would know next-to-nothing about. We do know that throughout his life, he was deeply involved in all sorts of groups and common ventures, and that he's *always* seen himself as a leader. So for all those reasons, I'm tempted to type him as ENTJ."" (wandering wrote)

By the way, wandering, I love how you illustrate hermione's INFJ prefs. There is no way I could've done that half as well.
Now I'm going to have to dissagree about dumbledore. He is an INTP, and I've been sure about that for a fairly long time.

He approaches morality and relationships in a distinctly Ti way. A lot of older NTPs have done what he goes about whether it's Beebe (ENTP) defining integrity (he's pretty old now, and it seems like integrity is almost a theme of half of his stuff), or Kant's 'if everybody did' ethic. These types have a lot to say about morality as they get older, and they say it all to other people! This is what I notice dumbledore doing to, he lectures harry on the importance of love, it's also a theme of why voldemort became evil. (by the way, aspirational INTROVERTED feeling (E_TJ) has more of a 'I love you, but that's none of your bussiness' aspect (von franz lecture), and feeling for E_TJs evokes central ideas like 'justice' 'honor' that they are much less likely to attempt to articulate to others.) I would say that Dumbledore's inferior feeling is definately extraverted. By the way, your 'faking affection' is more of an inferior extraverted feeling thing. (However, I do think his affection for harry is genuine and uncalculated, especially in the 'ghost of dumbledore' scene)
Dumbledore's original sin was selfish neglect of his sister when he was fixated on the ideas of Grindewald (a probable ENTJ). What we know at the end is that a big portion of dumbledore's life is devoted to making amends to the world for his original actions.
On a less serious note, I think dumbledore's use of the Pensieve is actually a wonderful picture of tertiary Si. When he explains its use to harry, he talks about how for him it's a bit of a hobby (tertiary function alert) to look through his memories using this thing.
In fact, everything to do with the pensieve is approached by dumbledore through Ne and Si. Ne would be the auxiliary function (parent archetype), and it definately reflects how he uses this to teach harry as much as possible about voldemort's past and explaining the present and speculating on the future in terms of this. The way he puts together the puzzle of the horcruxes is verry Ne. Back to the parenting aspect, and it involves knowing what voldemort is about, and exactly what he's up to by looking into the past and present and by pragmatic speculation.

Alrischa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The way I see it:

Harry: ISFP
Hermione: ISFJ
Ron: ESFP
Draco: ENTP
McGonagall: ISTJ
Dumbledore: INTJ
Snape: INFJ
Voldemort: INTJ
Twins: ENTP
Sirius: ENFP
Lupin: INFP

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
The way I see it:

Harry: ISFP
Hermione: ISFJ
Ron: ESFP
Draco: ENTP
McGonagall: ISTJ
Dumbledore: INTJ
Snape: INFJ
Voldemort: INTJ
Twins: ENTP
Sirius: ENFP
Lupin: INFP

Snape, NF? OH, no, he's such an NT it makes my back teeth hurt.

am_i_evil666

i do think sirius was an ENTP. as for the rest, most are wrong, except for Draco and Molly Weasley.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't see Hermione as an N. :) She has a need to study everything step-by-step in regard to her classes, which is indicative of S. (I, and many of the other N types I know, never had to study much at all in high school despite taking the most advanced classes.) She strikes me as xSTJ. Her know-it-all-ness is indicative of Te.

Harry = I agree with IxFP.

Luna = Definite INFP, it's blatantly obvious. She's too 'dreamy' to be a T type.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
^Lol, not necessarily true for iNtuitives. Otherwise, we would all be straight-A students, haha! However, SJ makes sense for Hermione.
I would agree that the study habits of an N are different than those of an S.
I tend to think through everything I learned in class and if there is something I don't get so much, I'll look over it, otherwise, I don't see a need too.
I don't study in a 'step-by-step' manner.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
^Lol, not necessarily true for iNtuitives. Otherwise, we would all be straight-A students, haha! However, SJ makes sense for Hermione.
No, not all the N types in my classes had straight A's, but they did tend to do fairly well with less studying. The S types who got straight A's tended to study their behinds off :tongue10:

I would agree that the study habits of an N are different than those of an S.
I tend to think through everything I learned in class and if there is something I don't get so much, I'll look over it, otherwise, I don't see a need too.
I don't study in a 'step-by-step' manner.

Yah same, if I even study, lol.

nightwatcher

MBTI Type
INXJ
Harry Potter MB types

Harry Potter ISFP; Ron Weasley ISTP; Hermoine Granger INTJ (though her campaign to free the house elves seemed pretty NFish); Voldemort/Tom Riddle INTJ; Severus Snape INTJ; Dumbledore ENTP; Luna Lovegood INTJ; Sirius Black ESTP; Draco Malfoy ENTJ; Weasley twins ENTP; Mrs. Weasley ESFJ; Hagrid ISFJ

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Really? I thought Ron was kind of ESFPish but I could see how ISTP would work.

Hagrid = ISFJ?
I <3 ISFJs.

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
Harry Potter ISFP; Ron Weasley ISTP; Hermoine Granger INTJ (though her campaign to free the house elves seemed pretty NFish); Voldemort/Tom Riddle INTJ; Severus Snape INTJ; Dumbledore ENTP; Luna Lovegood INTJ; Sirius Black ESTP; Draco Malfoy ENTJ; Weasley twins ENTP; Mrs. Weasley ESFJ; Hagrid ISFJ

Luna Lovegood an INTJ? :huh: I would say she's far more INxPish

Royal Xavier

MBTI Type
INXP
Harry: IXFP
Hermione: INXX
Ron: ISTP(He's good at chess like an NT, but I'm sure he's not an INTP.)
Snape: INTJ
Dumbledore: XNXP(Probably introverted.)
McGonnigal: ENTJ
Molly Weasley: ENFJ
Arthur Weasley: ENFP

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Ron's an S- and an Artisan for sure. S types can be good at chess too.

nightwatcher

MBTI Type
INXJ
No way :smile:

I used to think INFJ for him too, but after the last book, I'm thinking more I/ENTJ. He's learned to FAKE personal interest in people over the many decades of his life, but this personal interest simply wasn't there when he was younger. In fact, even INTJ remains iffy for me, because a normal INTJ would have cared about his sick little sister (Tertiary Fi) far more than Dumbledore did when he was young. Also, I'm not so sure about him being an Introvert: he seems reclusive *when seen through Harry's eyes*, but that doesn't mean much. As the Headmaster, he would have a social life that Harry would know next-to-nothing about. We do know that throughout his life, he was deeply involved in all sorts of groups and common ventures, and that he's *always* seen himself as a leader. So for all those reasons, I'm tempted to type him as ENTJ.

)

Dumbledore is probably most commonly typed INFJ. But is this really his core type, or does he just wear that hat when the situation calls for it like the clever, well-developed ENTP fox that he is?

First consider that a person’s type preferences and dominant functions are usually most apparent in youth, before the others have become more integrated. In “The Deathly Hollows”, when we finally get some of Dumbledore’s backstory, we see pretty clearly that he was more Promethean NT knowledge seeker than NF idealist. That’s what ended up getting him into trouble: his thirst for dangerous knowledge and its power, which was always his addiction (he tells Harry in the King’s Cross scene: “power was always my weakness and temptation”.) And his dominant function was likely Ne: grand ideas and schemes, adventure-seeking, possibilities, etc.

Second, was he really more J than P? I think not. There are plenty of examples of him bending the rules. He was always flexible and situational, fluid, great at juggling and multi-tasking (all P). Rules per se were never high on his list of priorities, otherwise he and Harry would have clashed too much. Compare Dumbledore to J’s Snape and McGonagall, both of whom P type Harry always had more problems with.

We get to know Dumbledore as a wise old man, who has integrated his lesser functions and can certainly be the INFJ counselor at times. But all things considered his root type is more likely ENTP.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, not all the N types in my classes had straight A's, but they did tend to do fairly well with less studying. The S types who got straight A's tended to study their behinds off :tongue10:
I realize this is kind of a tangent, but I have to be nitpicky and point out that that's really more of a SJ thing or even a J thing in general...I got straight As and didn't study ever in high school either (in the "advanced classes" too, for what that's worth, which is not much), while most of my INTJ friends studied a lot for their marks. I don't think SPs tend towards excessive studying, to say the least. :laugh:

To make my post vaguely on-topic, I'll say that I agree that Hermione is an SJ (I think ISTJ, but I could see ISFJ, or possibly INxJ) and Harry is ISFP, maybe ISTP.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
I realize this is kind of a tangent, but I have to be nitpicky and point out that that's really more of a SJ thing or even a J thing in general...I got straight As and didn't study ever in high school either (in the "advanced classes" too, for what that's worth, which is not much), while most of my INTJ friends studied a lot for their marks. I don't think SPs tend towards excessive studying, to say the least. :laugh:

To make my post vaguely on-topic, I'll say that I agree that Hermione is an SJ (I think ISTJ, but I could see ISFJ, or possibly INxJ) and Harry is ISFP, maybe ISTP.

Haha, yah, many of the SPs I know, particularly the extroverted ones, aren't so into academia. :D So I'll agree, although I've met exceptions. in the top 10 of my high school class, I am pretty sure that two of the girls were ESFP (although one might've been ENFP) and they studied a lot.

I have INTJ friends who are in med school, and they study a lot now, but they didn't nearly as much in high school or undergrad. I know a lot of INTJs (and I am one too, as is my husband :)), and hardly any of the ones I'm around were/are studyaholics :) Perhaps your INTJ friends are high J types?

IMO, Harry seems too emo to be T. :D I'll believe ISFP though. And, Hermione seems too no-nonsense to be F.

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
My take on some of the minor characters

Draco Malfoy ; ESTP
Lucius Malfoy ; ENTJ
Sirius Black ; ENTP
Umbridge ; ESTJ

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Haha, yah, many of the SPs I know, particularly the extroverted ones, aren't so into academia. :D So I'll agree, although I've met exceptions. in the top 10 of my high school class, I am pretty sure that two of the girls were ESFP (although one might've been ENFP) and they studied a lot.

I have INTJ friends who are in med school, and they study a lot now, but they didn't nearly as much in high school or undergrad. I know a lot of INTJs (and I am one too, as is my husband :)), and hardly any of the ones I'm around were/are studyaholics :) Perhaps your INTJ friends are high J types?

IMO, Harry seems too emo to be T. :D I'll believe ISFP though. And, Hermione seems too no-nonsense to be F.

A lot of INTJs figure out that they don't need to study hard to get high marks and therefore don't. I'm in high school and I've figured out that it's to my benefit, points-wise to do all the homework assignments, but I never take too long on them and I don't study outside of that. In fact, I'm somewhat of a slacker.

I hate memorizing things and hate when teachers insist that things be memorized -- I'm good at reasoning out things, but no good at memorizing.

INTJ's interests may stray towards the academic pursuits as their interests but when it actually comes to academics they'll probably do their version of the minimum amount of work.

Considering the vast amounts of knowledge that Hermione has and that she seems to be able to remember *everything* about *everything*, and that she always seems to be studying, and the way she's proud when she can do spells right before everyone else, she's probably an SJ of some sort. Wild guess says ISTJ.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
A lot of INTJs figure out that they don't need to study hard to get high marks and therefore don't. I'm in high school and I've figured out that it's to my benefit, points-wise to do all the homework assignments, but I never take too long on them and I don't study outside of that. In fact, I'm somewhat of a slacker.

I hate memorizing things and hate when teachers insist that things be memorized -- I'm good at reasoning out things, but no good at memorizing.

INTJ's interests may stray towards the academic pursuits as their interests but when it actually comes to academics they'll probably do their version of the minimum amount of work.

Considering the vast amounts of knowledge that Hermione has and that she seems to be able to remember *everything* about *everything*, and that she always seems to be studying, and the way she's proud when she can do spells right before everyone else, she's probably an SJ of some sort. Wild guess says ISTJ.

Haha, yes, in high school (and even in grad school, which I'm currently doing), I do tend to do "my version" of the minimum and still hold a 4.0. Yet I definitely am interested in my field, and I study a lot of related topics independently. Something about the formality and "ought-to," as well as being graded, makes me have a hard time giving much more. Perhaps it's a function of the INTJ independence?

Speaking of which, Umbridge was a nightmarish version of an ESTJ. :) I hated her!

And yah, I've never known any INTJs who seem overtly proud of their precocious abilities. If anything, the ones I know (including me, as a kid) were always somewhat shy/uncomfortable about that...