• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

harry potter characters

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well if you say so then there's nothing left to discuss, o mighty cat

I just presented a rational, rather extensive and evidence-backed argument for him being ESTP. If you have an actual justification for him not being so, feel free to present it. God knows I love a challenge.

Well okay.

He's an impulsive risk-taker. He's heavily interested and skilled in physical activity, as shown by his love of quidditch and skill in Defense Against the Dark Arts.

The only time Harry really took risks was when he was doing what felt right to do; or what aligned with his values to do. SFPs act on their values; that's one of the most basic parts of Fi and Se being together. They do the right thing to do in any given situation based on their own moral compass.

Many other non SP students were good at Quidditch and good in their classes. You seem to be thinking of type in terms of temperament and not personality.

He can be very clear-headed and logical about these sorts of things (STP-inclined activities) that interest him. He tends to become overtly emotional only when his life or the life of one of his friends is threatened.

Anyone can be clear headed and logical about things... and SFP males often mistake themselves for T types because their SP concreteness makes them appear to be a T, because they do what's realistic. There's a difference between being concrete/realistic and being Ti.

It seems to be expected in society for males to be less emotional. That's how it goes... a lot of the F males that I know don't really get overly emotional only in really bad times. Then again a lot of F males aren't like that. What I'm trying to say is, you can't really say that emotional = F and coolheaded = T.

Hermoine is an ISTJ (you even said it yourself), yet she's one of the more emotional characters. She seems to be the one who's the most likely to lose their cool in the story.

As for E vs I... Harry greatly enjoys the company of other people. He likes hanging out not only with Ron and Hermione, but with the Twins, Neville, Luna, his Quiddich team, and essentially anyone else who's interested in his company. He retreats from the crowd only when he's suffered deep emotional trauma, and even then seeks emotional support from Ron and Hermione (Especially Ron). Notice, for example, that in book 4 Harry felt very lonely, beleaguered and sad, because he'd lost Ron as a friend.

Again, the way you seem to approach type is in terms of temperament and not really personality. None of these things really point to E or I; they have to do with other variables that MBTI doesn't cover.

But I would argue that Harry just isn't an E__P. He isn't always talking, he's not really energetic at all. Those are typical traits associated with E__Ps... and he just isn't like that. I can't think of any more off the top of my head... but I just don't understand how you could think he's an E__P.

Have you read any of the reasoning in this thread or other Harry Potter threads? There is a ton of reasoning for him being an ISFP that might interest you. Harry just seems like the archetypical ISFP fantasy hero. See this list for some examples- http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/sp-arthouse/29738-70-famous-isfps.html

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
gigi said:
definitely :yes:
Dammit you caught me. :devil:

I can see ENTJ or ENTP. Idk about INTJ, he seems like a people person :)
Lucifer from the Sandman comics and Faust's Mephistopheles are INTJ, and Lucifer from John Milton's Paradise Lost is some sort of T-leaning INxJ. Interestingly, ENTP depictions of him tend to go by the Devil, ENTJ depictions tend to go by Satan, and INTJ depictions tend to go by Lucifer.

I dated an ISTJ for 2 years. Looking back we didn't talk about very much. lots of arguing. what an awful type... jk sorta

I dont want Hermione to be the same type as my ex, can't she be intj pwease? but yes, introvert seems right
Any type can be either good or bad, though certain types have greater tendencies towards being jerks than others. Your ex sounds like a major asshole, probably a very mentally unhealthy and unstable ISTJ. Hermione is a healthy and stable one.

I'd say she's a psychotic XNFP because she does everything she does based on her own sick and twised value system, she seems to feel very deeply for voldy there, and her emotions are constantly getting the better of her, making her act entirely unstable and crazy. But why do you say introvert? she seems fairly outgoing... haha, not that I want her on my type's team, but I see how she could be an ENFP gone horribly, horribly, wrong.
She doesn't really like interacting with people any more than say, Jack Bauer for example. She just likes torturing them.

Glad we're agreed otherwise. :)

quirrel- ISFJ
barty crouch- estj
barty crouch jr- infj
moody himself- ixtj
Victor Krum- Istp
Narcissa- ExFJ
Moody: INTJ
Narcissa: ESFJ

Spot-on otherwise. You're very good at this. :)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only time Harry really took risks was when he was doing what felt right to do; or what aligned with his values to do. SFPs act on their values; that's one of the most basic parts of Fi and Se being together. They do the right thing to do in any given situation based on their own moral compass.
Doing what feels right at the time, going on gut instinct, is a P trait - not an F one. Having values is not purely an F trait - the vast majority of people have standards to some degree. T versus F is defined more by how one brings those values into action, whether they base particular actions to enact these values on logic or on emotions.

Many other non SP students were good at Quidditch and good in their classes. You seem to be thinking of type in terms of temperament and not personality.
Correct, and I stated that Draco Malfoy, Slytherin's Quidditch star, was an ENTJ. However, Harry is mentioned as being rather horrendous (or average, at most) in every class except Defense Against the Dark Arts. Defense Against the Dark Arts involves action and activity, so SPs would tend to be best at it.

Anyone can be clear headed and logical about things... and SFP males often mistake themselves for T types because their SP concreteness makes them appear to be a T, because they do what's realistic. There's a difference between being concrete/realistic and being Ti.

It seems to be expected in society for males to be less emotional. That's how it goes... a lot of the F males that I know don't really get overly emotional only in really bad times. Then again a lot of F males aren't like that. What I'm trying to say is, you can't really say that emotional = F and coolheaded = T.
Congratulations, you just successfully described F and T to the class, saving me the trouble. Here's a cookie:

cookie.gif

Ts base actions on logic, Fs on emotion. Both groups are emotionally motivated (unless they're some sort of extreme-T Spock creature), so actions are what count here.

Hermoine is an ISTJ (you even said it yourself), yet she's one of the more emotional characters. She seems to be the one who's the most likely to lose their cool in the story.
You're on crack. Hermione is far, far from one of the more emotional characters. Very few of her actions are rooted in emotion, and she rarely loses her cool except when someone isn't following the rules or directions (STJ). She's often emotionally motivated, being very strongly motivated by her friendship with Harry and Ron, but this further goes to show that Ts are motivated by emotion as well.

Again, the way you seem to approach type is in terms of temperament and not really personality. None of these things really point to E or I; they have to do with other variables that MBTI doesn't cover.
Err, what the shit? Enjoying socialization and other people's company is precisely what extroversion refers to.

Besides, what's this whole "temperament, not personality" shit? Temperament is exactly what MBTI describes -- Not really what you are, but how you function.

But I would argue that Harry just isn't an E__P. He isn't always talking, he's not really energetic at all. Those are typical traits associated with E__Ps... and he just isn't like that. I can't think of any more off the top of my head... but I just don't understand how you could think he's an E__P.
Being both an extroverted perceiver and extremely mellow, I take offense. P is defined by adaptiveness and lack of planning, E by enjoyment of and gaining energy from social contact. Harry shows both of these traits.

Last edited:

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Dammit you caught me. :devil:

kneeeew it!! evil ENFPS are called ENTPS, you see :yes:

Lucifer from the Sandman comics and Faust's Mephistopheles are INTJ, and Lucifer from John Milton's Paradise Lost is some sort of T-leaning INxJ. Interestingly, ENTP depictions of him tend to go by the Devil, ENTJ depictions tend to go by Satan, and INTJ depictions tend to go by Lucifer.

this fascinates me. I plan on throwing this new found knowledge into small talk & hoping people think I came up with it on my own :) jk, I'll find some way to give you credit if I actually feel motivated to have such intense small talk about satan & MBTI which really I doubt will happen without a lot of vodka.

Any type can be either good or bad, though certain types have greater tendencies towards being jerks than others. Your ex sounds like a major asshole, probably a very mentally unhealthy and unstable ISTJ. Hermione is a healthy and stable one.

all ENFPs are adorable :yes: but sure, they're is good and bad in everyone else's types. It helps that Hermie developed her inferior Ne so well.

She doesn't really like interacting with people any more than say, Jack Bauer for example. She just likes torturing them.

unless its vokdy-kins. But yes, I see she's certainly very distant from her hubby even. crazed INFP it is

Glad we're agreed otherwise. :)

Moody: INTJ
Narcissa: ESFJ

agreed on both, I wasn't entirely certain

Spot-on otherwise. You're very good at this. :)

and why thank you! I don't know why, or how, but I find this extremely amusing.

alas, I am running out of characters which saddens me greatly

here's the last I can come up with, feel free to add anymore :)

Tonks: EXFJ
Crabbe & Goyle: ISTPs
Pansy Parkinson: ESFJ
Blaise: IxTj? idk what type is that snobby?
McLaggen: ESTP... the opposite kind compared to wee Harry
Dudley: ESTP? lol again, a different sort than Harry himself
Petunia: ESFJ
Vernon: ISTJ
Scrigamour: EnTJ
Lee Jordan: esfp

and also thinking about Ginny, she seemed to get much louder & braver with age. I'm thinking ENFj now maybe
:cheese:

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Interesting choice. :)
Come to think of it it kind of makes sense.

doesnt it? :yes:

It took me a while to think about this one.

but introversian is clear

he certainly followed his wee sick twisted heart... feeling

he certainly had a million ideas/plans/schemes/creative concepts.... N

and he certainly planned it all out carefully... J

so.... INFJ :yes: his mom sacrificing herself for him sounds heartbreaking NF as well.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
gigi said:
kneeeew it!! evil ENFPS are called ENTPS, you see

Factual. :D :tongue:

this fascinates me. I plan on throwing this new found knowledge into small talk & hoping people think I came up with it on my own jk, I'll find some way to give you credit if I actually feel motivated to have such intense small talk about satan & MBTI which really I doubt will happen without a lot of vodka.

You can steal it if you want. ;) The ego boost from knowing someone used it is enough. :D

all ENFPs are adorable but sure, they're is good and bad in everyone else's types. It helps that Hermie developed her inferior Ne so well.

Yes, you ENFPs are all so wuvvable. :)

unless its vokdy-kins. But yes, I see she's certainly very distant from her hubby even. crazed INFP it is

I actually initially thought INTP precisely because she was so cold to even the man she loved.

So yeah, one of the two. :)

agreed on both, I wasn't entirely certain

I love it when we're agreed. :)

why thank you! I don't know why, or how, but I find this extremely amusing.

It's great fun. I've been doing it with Harold Saxon for all manner of fictional characters for a while now.

And, you're welcome. :)

alas, I am running out of characters which saddens me greatly

Don't despair. There are other books, movies, etc. out there.

Tonks: EXFJ

Crabbe & Goyle: ISTPs

Pansy Parkinson: ESFJ

Blaise: IxTj? idk what type is that snobby?

McLaggen: ESTP... the opposite kind compared to wee Harry

Dudley: ESTP? lol again, a different sort than Harry himself

Petunia: ESFJ

Vernon: ISTJ

Scrigamour: EnTJ

Lee Jordan: esfp

Tonks: ENFP

Crabbe and Goyle: ESTJ

Blaise: INTJ. A Slytherin who dislikes the Death Eaters? Not exactly one to follow the crowd... Oh, and that's the snobbiest of all types. :D

As usual most are right, though. :)

and also thinking about Ginny, she seemed to get much louder & braver with age. I'm thinking ENFj now maybe

Maybe ENFP, like you. :) I don't see J.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Factual. :D :tongue:

enfps are just farrrr too cuddly to be evil :cheese:

You can steal it if you want. ;) The ego boost from knowing someone used it is enough. :D

excellent :static: also, that smiley face is so cute. if I was a smiley emoticon, I'd like to be the little cheerleader one.

Yes, you ENFPs are all so wuvvable. :)

fact :yes:

I actually initially thought INTP precisely because she was so cold to even the man she loved.

So yeah, one of the two. :)

yeah, but her weirdo obsession with voldemort explains her coldness to Mr. Lestrange. she's inlove with a psycho villain who is trying to take over the world, she doesnt have much time for her hubby anymore. But certainly INxP

I love it when we're agreed. :)

me too:hug:

It's great fun. I've been doing it with Harold Saxon for all manner of fictional characters for a while now.

And, you're welcome. :)

Don't despair. There are other books, movies, etc. out there.

by Harry is my favsies :( ah well, I'm sure there are other things to type...somewhere...

Tonks: ENFP

really? lol awww, I knew I loved her

Crabbe and Goyle: ESTJ

really? They don't seem to care about rules... or people. Maybe the loud one in the seventh book... the idiot who burned down the room of requirement,m whichever one it was, maybe he was estx and the other was istx. but why J?

Blaise: INTJ. A Slytherin who dislikes the Death Eaters? Not exactly one to follow the crowd... Oh, and that's the snobbiest of all types. :D

aaaah yes, this is why I thought he was awesome for suchhhh a jerk. I love INTJS. I love all NTs.

As usual most are right, though. :)

Maybe ENFP, like you. :) I don't see J.

yeah, come to think of it, J seems.... well, wrong.

my friends used to call me Ginny as a joke for being small & redheaded and kinda hopelessly romantic :yes: I want Ginny on the enfp team! she can balance out Fleur who is the annoying type of enfp. but still, oh so adorable.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
gigi said:
enfps are just farrrr too cuddly to be evil :cheese:
Yes, yes you are. :)

excellent also, that smiley face is so cute. if I was a smiley emoticon, I'd like to be the little cheerleader one.
I'm sure you would be. I'd like being the banana llama one :bananallama: -- It's so funny. :D

mmhmm :yes:

yeah, but her weirdo obsession with voldemort explains her coldness to Mr. Lestrange. she's inlove with a psycho villain who is trying to take over the world, she doesnt have much time for her hubby anymore. But certainly INxP
Yep.

Hugz! :hug:

by Harry is my favsies :( ah well, I'm sure there are other things to type...somewhere...
Awww, don't be sad. :( He's my fave too, but all good things come to an end. That's life. The bright side is there's still a lot of stuff out there to type. :) What other books do you like?

really? lol awww, I knew I loved her
Yep yep. :) She definitely strikes me as spontaneous.

aaaah yes, this is why I thought he was awesome for suchhhh a jerk. I love INTJS. I love all NTs.
So you love me? Come on now, you just met me! :tongue:

(I keed, I keed! :D)

really? They don't seem to care about rules... or people. Maybe the loud one in the seventh book... the idiot who burned down the room of requirement,m whichever one it was, maybe he was estx and the other was istx. but why J?
They're insensitive clods (T -- Evil F is sadistic), and they blindly follow malfoy everywhere, not a thought of their own (J).

my friends used to call me Ginny as a joke for being small & redheaded and kinda hopelessly romantic I want Ginny on the enfp team! she can balance out Fleur who is the annoying type of enfp. but still, oh so adorable.
Yeah, you do remind me of Ginny a little. :)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Doing what feels right at the time, going on gut instinct, is a P trait - not an F one. Having values is not purely an F trait - the vast majority of people have standards to some degree. T versus F is defined more by how one brings those values into action, whether they base particular actions to enact these values on logic or on emotions.

Correct, and I stated that Draco Malfoy, Slytherin's Quidditch star, was an ENTJ. However, Harry is mentioned as being rather horrendous (or average, at most) in every class except Defense Against the Dark Arts. Defense Against the Dark Arts involves action and activity, so SPs would tend to be best at it.

Congratulations, you just successfully described F and T to the class, saving me the trouble. Here's a cookie:

cookie.gif

Ts base actions on logic, Fs on emotion. Both groups are emotionally motivated (unless they're some sort of extreme-T Spock creature), so actions are what count here.

You're on crack. Hermione is far, far from one of the more emotional characters. Very few of her actions are rooted in emotion, and she rarely loses her cool except when someone isn't following the rules or directions (STJ). She's often emotionally motivated, being very strongly motivated by her friendship with Harry and Ron, but this further goes to show that Ts are motivated by emotion as well.

Err, what the shit? Enjoying socialization and other people's company is precisely what extroversion refers to.

Besides, what's this whole "temperament, not personality" shit? Temperament is exactly what MBTI describes -- Not really what you are, but how you function.

Being both an extroverted perceiver and extremely mellow, I take offense. P is defined by adaptiveness and lack of planning, E by enjoyment of and gaining energy from social contact. Harry shows both of these traits.

Hmm, well whatever. It's obvious that you're going to stick to your Si standpoint rather than try to understand, so I don't care. It's clearly a lost cause. Harry Potter is an ESTP, you win. If I try to explain myself further you'll just stick to what you know and fight based on that, so it doesn't matter whether I do it or not.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, well whatever. It's obvious that you're going to stick to your Si standpoint rather than try to understand, so I don't care. It's clearly a lost cause. Harry Potter is an ESTP, you win. If I try to explain myself further you'll just stick to what you know and fight based on that, so it doesn't matter whether I do it or not.
Ah, an entire paragraph to say one simple word: "uncle." Very nice.

3ggminey

MBTI Type
Enfp
Harry Potter: IxFP ( I would say "N" because I would speculate when he was younger to find social acceptance if he were a ISFP due to Se, but I dont know)
Ron Weasley: ExFP (It is evident that he has Fi - Te, but is Ne, just scattered brained, or Se, just clueless)
Hermoine Granger: INTJ (definitely not ENTJ because of Fi being last, not possible, then people speculate ISTJ because of her near identical memory, but that could be mistaken for Ni, gut feelings and rations coming to her)
Albus Dumbledore: INFJ
Severus Snape: INTJ
Voldemort: INFJ (some say INTJ, but i think he is manipulative instead of controlling, i think he has Fe as opposed to Te)
Luna Lovegood: INFP (Dreamy, supporting harry is an INFP, she says she sees something in him)

wistfulwillow

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just created a new thread for this topic, since this one's been going for such a long time.
Link to it: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/55697-harry-potter.html
I also lean towards INFP for Harry, but ISFP is arguable as well.
I say ESFP for Ron. A hunch.
I used to think INTJ Hermione, but I've been thinking ISTJ lately. She's a knowledge seeker, but looks to external sources rather than internal, she's unsure of any skill that can't be learned from a book (chess, quidditch, divination, etc.). She gets more comfortable using her Ni as the books move along, but I mean really, have you ever met an INTJ that's bad at chess:)?
I'm one of those weirdos that thinks Voldemort is an INTJ. There's no evidence of him using feelings. Ever.
Luna I'd say INxP. Her lack of social appropriateness (saying thinks that make people uncomfortable, completely oblivious) seems sort of INTP-esque.

Pansophie

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
FIRST POST ALERT!
my opinion:

Harry, INFP
Hermoine, ENTJ
Ron, ISFJ

Weasley Twins, ESFP's
Snape, INTJ
Dumbledore, XNFP

Nicki

Retired
Okay, here's my master list (based on the books, not the movies):

Harry - ISFP
Hermione, Aberforth, Scrimgeour, Kreecher, Moody - ISTJ
Ron, Tonks - ESFP
Luna, Neville, Lupin, Pettigrew - INFP
Xenophilius - INTP
Ginny, Dudley, James, Rita Skeeter - ESTP
Fred, George, Mr. Weasley, Slughorn(?) - ENTP
Dobby, Umbridge, Mrs. Weasley, Hagrid, Lockhart, Aunt Petunia - ESFJ
Snape, Voldemort - INTJ
Draco, Lucius, Bellatrix, McGonagall, Uncle Vernon, Percy - ESTJ
Dumbledore, Ollivander, Trelawney - INFJ
Tonks, Sirius - ESFP
Lily, Fleur, Slughorn(?), Nearly Headless Nick, Myrtle - ENFJ
Fudge - ISFJ

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES I agree with you completely, as an extreme Potterhead! I don't know why people are seeing INFJ for Lily, she was considered popular, charming, and having strong principles which all seems like she's an extrovert.

NEMESlS

This is just my first post,but I think I do have some basic knowledge of the NTs.

Movie Dumbledore:INTP
Book Dumbledore: INTJ
(I just don't see the sensing side of him. He's too much the puppetmaster.)
Snape: I'm certain he's an INTX. You could argue he's a seriously messed up P. But I'm thinking INTJ.
Sirius: ENTP(He's not an I. But I could definitely see other types for him. Again, i just know NTs well.)
Voldemort: Again, you could argue seriously abused(obviously) INTP and it could make sense. People who just see the spacey side of INTPs are not very well informed. There's also the...I don't want to say cynical because it's not malicious but...sarcastic and dry side that, as a broad concept, might explain some of the behavior. But Voldemort is malicious. Gosh, I'm contradicting myself now. Ignore this. Otherwise, INTJ.
Hermy: I don't really see her as an NT. Too emotional.
Luna: A REALLY out there INTP.
Side notes: I think people who say Arthur is an INTP are on the right track. Kind of reminds me of a stupid Sherlock...
Ooh-Rah

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dumbledore, Snape, and Voldemort could all be INTJs, of very different flavors based on their backgrounds and experiences. I have come to think Voldemort might actually be INFJ, though. There is much more ideology than method in his madness. He's good at killing and torturing people, but doesn't seem to be building anything to replace what he destroys. (A bit like Osama bin Laden.)

I agree with INTP for Arthur Weasley (and Neville Longbottom), but think Sirius is more ESTP.