User Tag List

12 Last

Default "A Beautiful Mind" and John Nash

Out of curiosity, what do you think the MBTI type of mathematician John F. Nash Jr. would be, based purely off the movie? How would this compare with the real John Nash? In other words, what do you think his type is, and do you think his MBTI type as portrayed in the movie is different from that in real life? As usual, I have a strong idea about the answer to this, yet I am interested to hear some other peoples' responses. Also, what are your reasons for your choice? I will attempt to play devil's advocate.

P.S. Also, if you are in the mood, try typing the other main characters in the movie. If you are really in the mood, try deciding John Nash's enneagram, Oldham, and/or Socionics type.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

He's an NT of some sort. I can't say for sure which type, because I haven't seen the movie since it first came out.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

NT, I think, is pretty clear, as you said. Similarly, I think introversion is quite clear. Questions that now remain are, which of the two is he, what is the reason for it, and do you think it correlates with the MBTI type of the real John Nash?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I think it is difficult to assign accurate type when the subject suffers from a neurological condition that impairs judgment. As such, we would be evaluating Nash's condition above his inherent tendencies.

Throwing this logic aside, if I were to assign type, I would say that he's probably an extraordinarily-developed INTP. Game Theory requires a substantial amount of concentration and hypothesis. His Ti would need to constantly update his acumen with positive information, while justifying a discard of previous info.

Success depends on empirical wit.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    NT, I think, is pretty clear, as you said. Similarly, I think introversion is quite clear. Questions that now remain are, which of the two is he, what is the reason for it, and do you think it correlates with the MBTI type of the real John Nash?
    I have not seen the movie.
    John was a pure INTP.
    The motive of an INTJ is by the study to achieve something outside of the study.
    He did not have an exterior motive. His was a love for mathematics and its beauty.

MBTI
    INTJ

I was thinking INTP as well. I loved the movie, but I generally love movies about genius, like for example Amadeus.

MBTI
    ENTP

INTJ.
    -the way he goes nuts just seems so DomNi. And didn't say any sign of Fe or Ne. If you want to see a DomNe go nuts, watch Shine.
    -the way the archetypes of his imaginary friends were set up: his "mentor" (that imaginary boss) was an extraverted thinking type, the roomate was an extraverted sensing type (animus), the child had to represent Fi in some way.

MBTI
    INFP

I just rented that movie from the library today... great acting there. I haven't seen it since it first came out.

I dunno... it's a toss up between INTP or INTJ. I'll watch it again tonight to make my final determination.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    INTJ.
    -the way he goes nuts just seems so DomNi. And didn't say any sign of Fe or Ne. If you want to see a DomNe go nuts, watch Shine.
    -the way the archetypes of his imaginary friends were set up: his "mentor" (that imaginary boss) was an extraverted thinking type, the roomate was an extraverted sensing type (animus), the child had to represent Fi in some way.
    The only problem with this, is that in the movie, he doesn't seem very J. Like one might expect of a P, he doesn't go to classes, he throws his desk out the window and laughs about it, he walks through the library without shoes or socks on shouting "I have respect for beer!!!", he is constantly late, etc. He also doesn't really show much Te.

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Ah, the movie about my mind.

Anyway, I think John Nash is an INTJ. He has dominant Ni written all over him.