User Tag List

123 Last

Default Can we all agree on a Personality Type for Oscar Wilde?

Ive been looking and there seems to be too many different opinions.
    What is his type? Why?

P.S. please reply if you have read about him extensively.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousel View Post
    Ive been looking and there seems to be too many different opinions.
    What is his type? Why?

P.S. please reply if you have read about him extensively.
    He was an ENFP. Incidentally, the scene in TYSON where INFP Mike walks on the beach and, in voice over, recites the following lines from The Ballad of Reading Gaol is extremely moving...

Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
    By each let this be heard,
    Some do it with a bitter look,
    Some with a flattering word,
    The coward does it with a kiss,
    The brave man with a sword!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

ENTP
    Loved play on words, loved people and parties, loved to go off on tangents, attuned to his surroundings, and easily bored and withdrawn, wide range of interests, excellent at reading people, enjoys playing the devils advocate etc...classic ENTP
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    ENTP
    Loved play on words, loved people and parties, loved to go off on tangents, attuned to his surroundings, and easily bored and withdrawn, wide range of interests, excellent at reading people, enjoys playing the devils advocate etc...classic ENTP
    It's worth noting that with the exception of enjoys playing the devils advocate--which Wilde was not really about--these are either equally true of all ENPs, or more true of ENFPs. And reading his work, his attributed quotes--it is very clear that OW was a humanist, not a logician or scientist or NTP wit in the style of Lewis Carol. That his 2nd function was Fi, not Ti, is made very clear by his observations about the nature of what it means to be human & the subjective reality of the human experience. He stands with Mark Twain and Will Rogers, other ENFPs, in his sad, pithy remarks on the comic disaster of life.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

ENTP

He was the definitive smart ass even up to his very death.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    CAT

I vote for an ENFJ. So we obviously can't all agree on his type.
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

ENFP. Although I've heard an interesting argument for ENFJ too.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

There appears to be a fair dose of what is kin to the devils advocacy in his only novel the Picture of Dorian Gray. Also a lot of his most memorable witticisms are a blend of what initially appears to be inconstant stances taken up simultaneously resulting in a pithy outcome. In fact this seems to be his predominant style for most of his memorable quotes. For example:

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.

A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    There appears to be a fair dose of what is kin to the devils advocacy in his only novel the Picture of Dorian Gray. Also a lot of his most memorable witticisms are a blend of what initially appears to be inconstant stances taken up simultaneously resulting in a pithy outcome. In fact this seems to be his predominant style for most of his memorable quotes. For example:

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.

A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    Well, but these quotes do sound rather Ni+Se than Ne+Si to me. Finding a connection between two contradictory things and making a unity of them sounds like something Ni users are more talented at than Ne users. I really think his sense of humor is more Ni than Ne, and because I'm convinced he was a feeler, it leaves me with an ENFJ.

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar
    ENTP
    All of this can be applied to an ENFJ as well. The "excellent at reading people" sounds actually much more ENFJ than ENTP. Attuned to his surroundings may easily be Se, and loving people and parties Fe+Se.

Also, ENFJs are often very humanistic, as Fecal McAngry pointed out. Take Toni Morrison, for example.
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Hmm good points. In fact its my intuition that mostly tells me he is ENTP. Taking him as a J is difficult especially because his highjinx primarily occurred in Victorian England. The homosexuality/bisexuality/dandy thing is a bit tricky too as many of the more (for lack of a better word) theatrical gays are presumed to be Fs. I always thought of ENFJs as being more giving(or punishing as the case may be) to the individual/many individual as opposed to the group dynamic in general. Thus I am open to being convinced otherwise but nevertheless still feel he was an ENTP.

What would be the most sure fire way on clearly distinguishing an ENTP from an ENFJ?