First 23456 Last

Thread: The Office

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

I could definitely see NF. His relationship with his boss (Jan?) seems to show some desire for self-actualization, and some over-the-top expectations, which intuitives sometimes have when they focus on possibilities too much.

Also, I can't remember any specifics, but it seems like he's tried to pull people out of their shell, improve moral, and usher in deeper personal understanding between his employees. I seem to remember him taking over the complaints box and trying to resolve everyones' issues or something, among other things.

Yeah, I could see it. He could definitely be a (comically) awkward ENFJ.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah.

Especially look for the moralizing in Fe. It's all bourgeois moralizing. There's a lot of stress on him though. It seems like his Ni struggles with his Fe. Like they're in stark contrast to one another, at least on some ways.

One episode shows a great deal of symbolism driven Fe when he wanted to have a funeral for a bird that ran into the side of the building.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

ENFJ fits much better than your previous guess of ENFP

aka i agree.

MBTI
    ENTP

I thought you would. Took me a while to realize his perception is quite introverted.

I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me before.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Yeah.

Especially look for the moralizing in Fe. It's all bourgeois moralizing. There's a lot of stress on him though. It seems like his Ni struggles with his Fe. Like they're in stark contrast to one another, at least on some ways.

One episode shows a great deal of symbolism driven Fe when he wanted to have a funeral for a bird that ran into the side of the building.
    I think one of the hallmarks of Michael Scott is that he isn't aware of other people's feelings/often misreads them completely and has a very poor understanding in that whole regard- which I think points to poor Fe? He *tries* to please and be popular and have lots of friends (as evidenced in the Take Your Daughter to Work episode), but he's not very sucessful.

MBTI
    ENTP

What do you mean by poor Fe? That it's not there, or he just does a bad job with it?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I think one of the hallmarks of Michael Scott is that he isn't aware of other people's feelings/often misreads them completely and has a very poor understanding in that whole regard- which I think points to poor Fe? He *tries* to please and be popular and have lots of friends (as evidenced in the Take Your Daughter to Work episode), but he's not very sucessful.
    Fe isn't about accuracy. it's about focus.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Hmm, I'm not sure which I meant. I was mostly asking you to share how you reached this conclusion of ENFJ (over ESFP or ENFP).

I just see more Fi in Michael- in his idealizations (of being a funny boss, mentoring Ryan, etc), rather than responding to others using the currency of emotion.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Hmm, I'm not sure which I meant. I was mostly asking you to share how you reached this conclusion of ENFJ (over ESFP or ENFP).

I just see more Fi in Michael- in his idealizations (of being a funny boss, mentoring Ryan, etc), rather than responding to others using the currency of emotion.
    How is that Fi?
    we fukin won boys

Enneagram
    1w2

I don't watch The Office, but I just read the wikipedia article on Michael Scott. He's definitely ExFx. Mostly he floats between any extroverted and feeling type. He seems to show a slight preference for immature Fe (over reliance on standardized symbols of caring, wanting to connect with others in a meaningful way but not knowing how, moralizing) although immature Fi shows up frequently.

Fe is a poorly understood function on the forum because all people see is a set of instructions on manners and etiquette. Like I said he seems to want to connect to people (Fe) but just because you're an FJ (or TP) doesn't mean you use your Fe well. It's just how your feeling comes out. What's confusing about Michael Scott's character is you can't tell if he's more comfortable using Fe but his poor command of it makes it look like Fi or if he prefers Fi and is horrible at Fe. I don't believe that just because we have a preference for a function it's used skillfully.

Also, do you see any evidence for what his thinking preference is? When I interact with FPs there Te contrasts sharply with my Ti. It just seems obvious when I go into analyze mode and they go into categorize mode. I also think it's worth bringing up how certain function combinations look like others. BW and "?" have mentioned this and Linda Berens elaborated this in one of her books.

It helps to begin narrowing if he's a dominant feeler (EFJ) or auxiliary feeler (EFP). EFJs are more connected to their values and EFPs are more connected with their perceptions.
    The way he's described in the wikipedia article makes it look like he's a dominant feeler:

-Michael places his personal interests as a priority over work (such as his birthday, someone else's birthday, or a funeral for a deceased bird)
    -he often places those responsibilities secondary to his desire to be friends with his employees.
    -He keeps several joke books in his desk for reference (would a dominant perceiver do that or would they rather wing it?)
    -One of the more frequent things Michael does is host seminars that range from diversity, sexual harassment, the handicapped, public speaking, drugs, homosexuality, grief counseling, prison, religion, and women's appreciation in an attempt to educate his staff (he's not afraid to address the Big Five!)

It makes sense to me that he's most likely either ENFJ or ESFP I just can't really explain why. I don't see much Ne, just Fe, Fi, Se, and Ni.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3