• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rank of Chill-ness By City

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
I personally rank people from these areas as the most chill, in descending order.

1) Hawaii
2) Seattle
3) Alaska
4) San Diego
5) East Bay (Oakland Berkeley)
6) Los Angeles
7) San Jose
8) San Francisco

anyone disagree or think another city should be inbetween here somewhere?

Im always amazed at how chill people from Seattle are. I feel like Im such a stressed out animal when I talk to someone from Seattle... lolz

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I personally rank people from these areas as the most chill, in descending order.

1) Hawaii
2) Seattle
3) Alaska
4) San Diego
5) East Bay (Oakland Berkeley)
6) Los Angeles
7) San Jose
8) San Francisco

anyone disagree or think another city should be inbetween here somewhere?

Im always amazed at how chill people from Seattle are. I feel like Im such a stressed out animal when I talk to someone from Seattle... lolz

I assume this is a "West Coast" only ranking?

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Don't you mean Honolulu?

Yeah, Seattle and Portland are pretty laid back.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
From the places where I've been (never been to Cali):

1) Hawaii
2) Alaska
3) San Antonio, TX
4) Houston, TX
5) Denver, CO

300) Washington, DC

379) New York

In general, I notice the West coast is more laid back than the East.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Don't you mean Honolulu?

Yeah, Seattle and Portland are pretty laid back.

I don't know hawaii well enough to distinguish between islands and cities that much...

I assume this is a "West Coast" only ranking?

No! I just only been to Chicago and NYC and the Indianapolis airport that is out east...

I actually thought the Indianapolis airport was pretty chill and kick back. But I can't rank an airport!

3) San Antonio, TX
4) Houston, TX
5) Denver, CO

dang, i always thought denver would be more chill bc of all that snow and altitude... but yeah, i should check out texas one day...

but yeah, I don't think LA is as chill as a lot of ppl think it is... there's so much traffic on the freeways, its ridonkulus

anyone who is like, well traveled all over the US can provide more insight?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From the places where I've been (never been to Cali):

1) Hawaii
2) Alaska
3) San Antonio, TX
4) Houston, TX
5) Denver, CO

300) Washington, DC

379) New York

In general, I notice the West coast is more laid back than the East.

Props to you for pointing out NYC and D.C. as the stress capitols of the U.S. :thumbdown: D.C. area sucks, I lived there for 9 years on and off. Expensive, yuppy, boring, etc.

Regarding W vs. E on laid-back-ness, I don't see any cities in Florida listed as chill. People in Miami, Orlando, Pensacola, and even around Tampa are way laid back. Florida is similar to California in many ways, chillness included. :yes:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I found Cali to be pretty uptight! Way more uptight than the Northwest. the NW is more passive-aggressive.:yes:

But D.C. tops them all. What a bunch of elitist jerks. Yikes. Of course, not all...my sis used to live there.

NYC is high energy, but I met a lot of really nice and very warm people there. Living in Astoria was like Sesame Street.:wubbie:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I found Cali to be pretty uptight! Way more uptight than the Northwest. the NW is more passive-aggressive.:yes:

But D.C. tops them all. What a bunch of elitist jerks. Yikes. Of course, not all...my sis used to live there.

NYC is high energy, but I met a lot of really nice and very warm people there. Living in Astoria was like Sesame Street.:wubbie:

Aww, the DC jackasses are the most fun! Nothing better than hearing some trust-funder make some completely asinine assessment of policy, then go discuss with him, and by the end of the conversation have him completely contradicting himself without even knowing it. Yes, these are the things I do to entertain myself. :doh:

Nizy

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Doesn't Alaska have a high suicide rate?

Are chill people more likely to off themselves?

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ottawa's at the top of the list for chill-y. The bottom for just chill.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Regarding W vs. E on laid-back-ness, I don't see any cities in Florida listed as chill. People in Miami, Orlando, Pensacola, and even around Tampa are way laid back. Florida is similar to California in many ways, chillness included. :yes:

oh bullshit. I've lived in Tampa for 8 years now (moved from DEtroit area michigan), these fuckers here are anything but chill. It's so bad that I half expect God to throw a fiery meteor on this hell hole for the same reasons he did Sodom and Gamorah. Tampa people are extremely cliquish and rude/cold to people they do not know.

In fact, leave all of the Florida cities off the Chill list except for maybe Orlando, good and kind people there. This whole state is infested with assholes and money whores.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1) Amsterdam

A whole different level of chillness than any other city. Unrivaled chillness.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oh bullshit. I've lived in Tampa for 8 years now (moved from DEtroit area michigan), these fuckers here are anything but chill. It's so bad that I half expect God to throw a fiery meteor on this hell hole for the same reasons he did Sodom and Gamorah. Tampa people are extremely cliquish and rude/cold to people they do not know.

Maybe it's your social skills that are causing that effect? :laugh:

I lived in Orlando for 2 years, and have lived in Tallahassee for 10 years, and in between it all travelled through Tampa quite a few times, and Ft. Lauderdale/Miami as well, and for the most part people have been very nice to me, especially compared to the douchebags in the D.C. area. Some of the locals in Orlando and Tallahassee are among the most laid back folks I've met. In Lauderdale, Miami, and Tampa I was either hanging out with friends and interacting with the locals through those experiences, or there on business, and in either of those two venues I've had no problems.

In fact, leave all of the Florida cities off the Chill list except for maybe Orlando, good and kind people there. This whole state is infested with assholes and money whores.

Disagreed. It's interesting to me that you feel that way. A really good friend of mine who is also from Detroit moved down here in 92' and said people here are way nicer. What people have you had issue with? Locals? People in the general public, as in at grocery stores, gas stations, etc.? Just curious.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
That's interesting, because my roomate at Campus Lodge one year was from downtown detroit, and he agreed with me %110. It's not just me, but I knew you were gonna suggest that. You will meet nicer, humble people walking down Jefferson Ave in Detroit than you will any part of this lousy city. Perhaps it's the general experience living around the USF area, but that's been my take.

I've been told it's a cultural difference between social behaviors in the Midwestern folk vs. Floridians in general. That seems to be the best answer i've come across. Yes, it's people in public that I have issues with. People treat each other like garbage in public places, even though they might be kind to their own friends/family. It's like you're either an ally or you're in their way in life. I never encountered that in Michigan.Even NYC seemed nicer than this place, but I only visited there briefly.

And my social skills were adequate in Michigan, so don't see what happened here. In my view, the asshole-ish nature of this wretched place just proliferated onto me :p That and the fact that I'm not rich and I don't own a Mustang. not owning a car in Tampa makes you like subhuman.

I used to be such a nice guy, too, believe it or not!

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Props to you for pointing out NYC and D.C. as the stress capitols of the U.S. :thumbdown: D.C. area sucks, I lived there for 9 years on and off. Expensive, yuppy, boring, etc.

Good call with Florida. Never been there, hence why I didn't put it on my list. But I'd imagine the people there are pretty chill.

Doesn't Alaska have a high suicide rate?

Are chill people more likely to off themselves?

Nah, that's because of the increased depression because of extreme variances in the amount of sunlight (almost 24 hrs of sunlight during summer, and almost 24 hrs of darkness during winter). It can cause anyone to go cooky.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's interesting, because my roomate at Campus Lodge one year was from downtown detroit, and he agreed with me %110. It's not just me, but I knew you were gonna suggest that. You will meet nicer, humble people walking down Jefferson Ave in Detroit than you will any part of this lousy city

Hmmmm...interesting. I can say that the east side of Orlando (UCF, and Winter Park) has a totally different culture than the west side (Disney, theme parks, etc.). Somehow I've always ended up in a part of town that had a mix of locals, college people and transient professionals. Maybe it was because no one sect dominated the others in sheer terms of population that my experience has been so different than yours. I'm thinking out loud here. I will say that if you do end up in any part of a city where there is an obvious majority culture, and you are not of it, that you can end up noticing douchebags everywhere.

And as you report, even in the midst of a big city, there are points at which you realize you have found a very nice "pocket" of people. It's probably the areas that are overtly "public" (e.g. downtown, retail areas, highway developments, etc.) that have the highest density of assholes in any city, in any region. People are generally not very personal and sometimes even put offish (as in New York, "don't fucking talk to me because you're wasting my time" mentality) in areas where they do not have to deal with others but in the few seconds they are in proximity of one and other.

The resort areas of Florida are actually quite the opposite though. People are nice because they want you to stay and spend money, whether you're a local or not, you are contributing to their economy. I know when I go to Miami, I stay in the same hotel every time. The first time I stayed there my wife and I were both impressed at how nice the staff was, and even the surrrounding merchants. But when we returned, and greeted the staff by name, they immediately bumped us into "family" status. We didn't even go out last time we went, we just partied with the staff in the hotel restaurant/bar and had a great time.

But in all honesty, my judgements are most likely skewed from the norm, because I am totally a people person. I've been travelling around my whole life, so I know how to show up anywhere and win people over and turn strangers into acquaintances. I've had no choice but to master doing that, and at this point, it's part of who I am, I know no strangers.

I've been told it's a cultural difference between social behaviors in the Midwestern folk vs. Floridians in general. That seems to be the best answer i've come across. And my social skills were adequate in Michigan, so don't see what happened here. In my view, the asshole-ish nature of this wretched place just proliferated onto me :p

I used to be such a nice guy, too, believe it or not.

I lived in Indiana for 2 years, and in Missouri for 2 years. Both had extremely nice people. Midwest farmers are awesome. Their daughters are hot too. :newwink:

Mole

Permabanned
Chill in Canberra

Canberra is the coldest Capital City in Oz. In fact the motto on our number plates is, "Chill in Canberra".

And of course we are a wonderful blend of egalitarianism and elegant formality for we are the diplomatic Capital as well as the Bush Capital.

Some say the beauty of Canberra lies in the cold and the sunshine, while our inner beauty is in the contrast between our laid back egalitarianism and our black tie diplomacy. You will find this contrast nowhere else in the world. Even the fish in Canberra are well spoken but never pretentious.

This is fortunate as the only sin you can commit in Oz is to be pretentious. And I love pretending so I live in a constant state of sin and creative tension. Luckily creative tension is wonderful for the libido and so Oz loves me too.

I am just about to walk out into the chill sunshine and who knows who I might meet - the Chargé d'Affaires from the French Embassy or the Head of Espionage from the Chinese Embassy or a simple Secretary from the Department of Defence. But whoever they are, I address them in our familiar Ozzie way.

My Russian friend, Vitaly, tells me it is only in Oz that you can address someone on the street in such a familiar and informal way. But I tell Vitaly that we are formally informal.

And he tells me he loves to chill in Canberra.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Canberra is the coldest Capital City in Oz. In fact the motto on our number plates is, "Chill in Canberra".

And of course we are a wonderful blend of egalitarianism and elegant formality for we are the diplomatic Capital as well as the Bush Capital.

Some say the beauty of Canberra lies in the cold and the sunshine, while our inner beauty is in the contrast between our laid back egalitarianism and our black tie diplomacy. You will find this contrast nowhere else in the world. Even the fish in Canberra are well spoken but never pretentious.

This is fortunate as the only sin you can commit in Oz is to be pretentious.

I love pretending so I live in a constant state of creative tension in the country I love.

Creative tension, of course, is wonderful for the libido and so my country loves me too.

I am just about to walk out into the chill sunshine and who knows who I might meet - the Chargé d'Affaires from the French Embassy or the Head of Espionage from the Chinese Embassy or a simple Secretary from the Department of Defence. But whoever they are, I address them in our familiar Ozzie way.

My Russian friend, Vitaly, tells me it is only in Oz that you can address someone on the street in such a familiar and informal way. But I tell Vitaly that we are formally informal.

And he tells me he loves to chill in Canberra.

Victor, have you ever been to the United States? Or Europe? Just curious.
I've never been to Australia, but lived throughout the U.S. and a few spots in Germany. All the Aussies I've met have been really cool people though.

Mole

Permabanned
Victor, have you ever been to the United States? Or Europe? Just curious.
I've never been to Australia, but lived throughout the U.S. and a few spots in Germany. All the Aussies I've met have been really cool people though.

I dunno, we only seem to send the ugly Ozzies overseas. Perhaps it's because they are away from home that they misbehave. Or perhaps they think they have to live up to the reputation of Barry McKenzie. But whatever the reason, I am embarrassed by Ozzies overseas.

We are, though, thinking of issuing no further passports to save us from further embarrassment.

So if you want to see us in our natural habitat mate, you'll have to come here.