• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Genesis (Rock Band)

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, you read right, I said Genesis. I've wondered what MTBI types best describe the members of the band, and I've come to these conclusions:

Phil Collins- ESFJ:
Extrovert because he's very outgoing.
Sensing because he lives in the now, and his lyrics are very down to earth and real. He's the type that would write a love song that says "I love you".
Feeling cos he's a softie.
Judging cos he's a workaholic and likes to get things done. Very conscientious.

Peter Gabriel- ISFP:
Introvert because he's shy, has to hide behind costumes and theatrics on stage.
Sensing because his music is more down to earth and real.
Feeling because he's very much in touch with human emotions.
Perceiving because he's very laid back, doesn't adhere to deadlines much, takes a while to get things done.

Mike Rutherford- ISTP:
Introvert because he's shy.
Sensing because his music tends to be more on the realism side.
Thinking because he's got a deadpan dry sense of humor.
Perceiving because he's very very laid back.

Tony Banks- INTJ:
Introvert because he's very private about his life, shy person.
Intuitive because his music is typically very grandiose, romantic, idealistic; in interviews he has a lot of ideas going through his brain.
Thinking because onstage he's very reserved with emotional expression. In interviews, he tends to say what he thinks, very politely though, but not the type that pours out his heart. Secretly a romantic though, which is very typical of INTJs.
Judging because he likes to get things done as quickly as possible. His music is incredibly organized, seems everything is there for a purpose.

Steve Hackett- INFP:
Introvert because he's much more on the quiet side.
Intuitive because his music is very sweeping and romantic, can sense the idealism in it, very open to new ideas.
Feeling because he has an emotional touch to his music, romanticism.
Perceiving because he's more laid back in his approach, less rigid in musical form.

If anyone else has ideas, feel free to post here.

-Krissy-

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Having a bit of second thoughts of the Genesis Member's MBTI type here. I thought that Peter Gabriel could be ISFP, but I'm not so sure now. I'm pretty sure on Tony Banks', Steve Hackett's, and Phil Collins' type. What do you guys think?

Here's some interview videos that might help:
Peter Gabriel:
YouTube - Peter Gabriel Interview for B&W Music Club
INFJ? INFP? From biographies, and according to band members, he is notorious for working slowly to get projects done, and hates feeling cornered. He's a humanitarian and enjoys incorporating world music into his pieces. Some people have said that he and Kate Bush are very much alike.

Mike Rutherford:
YouTube - Mike Rutherford interview - Isle of Wight 2008
He's laid back, sometimes forgetful with chords to the songs he writes, deadpan sarcastic humor, and a bit of a daydreamer. His lyrics are subtle. Not sure about his type, to be honest.

Anthony Phillips:
YouTube - Anthony Phillips & Guillermo Cazenave - Live in London, 1995
When he was with Genesis, he got stage fright at one of the concerts. It got so bad that he left the band. He does very folksy and artsy pieces.
INTP?

Steve Hackett:
YouTube - Steve Hackett (Part 1 of 3) talks to Pete Feenstra on the 8th September 2009
When Ant Phillips left the band, Steve Hackett took over. His Melody Maker ad stated "Guitarist seeking rock band that will go beyond existing stagnant forms." He likes a variety of music in his work, and can't stick with just one thing. INFP perhaps?

Phil Collins:
YouTube - Phil Collins Interview
Very direct, upfront, sensitive, and a perfectionist with his work. ESFJ?

Tony Banks:
YouTube - Tony Banks - circa '90s
Don't let the chattiness fool you. He's said that he's very introverted and shy. He usually has the final say when it comes to the band's decisions. Uncanny ability to predict things, but clearly logical in his train of thought. He's definitely got Te. Would say he's an INTJ. Opinions?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Peter Gabriel does seem more like an N.

Harold Saxon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I agree with most of these, but Peter Gabriel is definitely INFP or ENFP. I find it very doubtful that he's an S, considering how bloody abstract the man is. In the words of the immortal Patrick Bateman, Gabriel is "too artsy, too intellectual." :tongue: Though I do not share Bateman's contempt - Gabriel's Genesis beats Collins' Genesis by a long mile.

As further proof that Gabriel is an N, he seems to be Fi-Ne or Ne-Fi, not Fi-Se.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
If you have any doubts that Peter Gabriel is an N, listen to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway again

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, I think Peter Gabriel is an NF.

I think the others are all likely SP types, though Phil is hard to pin down.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I agree with most of these, but Peter Gabriel is definitely INFP or ENFP. I find it very doubtful that he's an S, considering how bloody abstract the man is. In the words of the immortal Patrick Bateman, Gabriel is "too artsy, too intellectual." :tongue: Though I do not share Bateman's contempt - Gabriel's Genesis beats Collins' Genesis by a long mile.

As further proof that Gabriel is an N, he seems to be Fi-Ne or Ne-Fi, not Fi-Se.

It was on Duke where Phil Collin's presence became more apparent, though his solo career is more satisfying in a narrower way.

b9gfmh.gif

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought Peter Gabriel was ISFP based on performance but given the writing, INFP might make more sense.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I generally agree, but I have a couple of minor quibbles. Agree with your initial assessment of Collins and Hackett.

Gabriel: INFP. I definitely see him as a P.
Rutherford: ISFP. The S/N is really hard to determine with him, I think.
Banks: INTx. It's hard for me to picture anyone other than Collins being a J, because I feel like he's the boss and they're happy to let him have that job. But if anyone other than Collins is a J, it's Banks.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, given the lyrical style of Gabriel, he's definitely got the whole Ne thing going. I think the lyrics of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, as well as the lyrics of Supper's Ready is immersed in Ne, all these random events happening that are somehow connected. It's like an Alice in Wonderland escapade, practically. He's definitely an introvert, given from what I've read about him, was quite shy during the early days of the band.

I think Mike's a bit more on the sensing side, given his work with the Mechanics is pretty straight forward and laid back. It's similar to Phil Collins' style, in that it's a more direct style, and Phil has secondary Si, therefore consistent with the ISFP type.

I think Banks is definitely INTJ. His music is very Ni-dominated. There's lots of symbolism, it's usually never direct, written in third person, and it's on an intellectual slant. He's very stubborn and holds true to his core values. He tends to plan out ideas for his music in advance, and if he has a plan he wants to do, he's going to do it. He definitely likes logical efficiency as well, wants to get the job done. He tends to explain how he wrote pieces in a step-wise fashion. Definitely an independent thinker, and has great use of Ni.

Ant Phillips I think could be an INTP. Hard to say though because not many interviews of him are out there.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Peter Gabriel is ENFP I'd say. Don't know the rest too well.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Peter Gabriel = INFJ - his lyrics abound with Fe
Phil Collins = ESFJ - likes to project a confidant, in-charge persona, but also extremely sensitive.
Mike Rutherford = ISTP
Tony Banks = INTJ - Phil Collins may be the frontman, but it's Banks who is the real motivator and planner in the group.
Steve Hackett = INFP probably - Can't be sure but his guitar playing is like a painting transformed into sound
Anthony Phillips = ? not enough information