User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't see any N at all in her personality.
    She's entirely grounded and not ethereal... not xNFJ in the least. Etherealness is one of the primary qualities of NF... and especially xNFJ, although INFJ sometimes seems very grounded and can look ISFJ in how they behave.

Bottom line: Neytiri acts in the real world entirely and not in abstractions. She responds physically to things, she does NOT abstract first and then choose how to respond.

I'm not sure what else there is to say.
    Maybe your other read needs rethought as well; I've never seen that movie, so I couldn't say.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't see any N at all in her personality.
    She's entirely grounded and not ethereal... not xNFJ in the least. Etherealness is one of the primary qualities of NF... and especially xNFJ, although INFJ sometimes seems very grounded and can look ISFJ in how they behave.

Bottom line: Neytiri acts in the real world entirely and not in abstractions. She responds physically to things, she does NOT abstract first and then choose how to respond.

I'm not sure what else there is to say.
    Maybe your other read needs rethought as well; I've never seen that movie, so I couldn't say.
    Well, to tell the truth, I first saw her as an INFJ, only after the movie I realized that she might have been a Fe dom. I might return to my first guess then.

I don't know, perhaps we just have a different view of what the NFJ-SFJ stereotype implies. We're both fully entitled to it

I just wanted to point out that Avatar was a fantasy action movie and there was not enough space for abstract thought in the first place. My look on it is that the way Neytiri seemed very connected to nature and deity, which does seem pretty ethereal to a viewer, was kind of supposed to "substitute" for any supernatural abilities the character might have had in other fantasy worlds. Also, I see more Se than Si in her, which also belong to the NFJ archetype. If you think Si because she wasn't flexible, well, I guess no one would be flexible in her place.

It's not really about my "read", you know - it's more about the NFJ archetype in my subconscious. It might very well be slightly different from someone else's, I suppose.

Dali

Just saw it; Jake Sully is definitely ISTP.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Avatar types!

Jake Sully- ISTP
    Neytiri- No idea really but I figured __FJ
    Colonel Miles Quaritch- I'm leaning towards ESTJ but ISTJ is also a possibility

Yeah I was too busy paying attention to the awesomeness of the movie to tell the character's types. I'm only 100% certain of Jake's type.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I looked for it I swear!
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Enneagram
    1w2

Just saw Avatar 3D IMAX last night and really liked it. Story was weak, but that's been commented on already.

I try not to type characters anymore because people see what they want to see in a fictional or real character but I did it anyway.

Jake: ISTP--that was some sexy ISTP!

Neytiri--inclined to agree about being a Fe-dom so either ESFJ or ENFJ. I think she was bolder and more directive than an ISFJ would be, so I'm not sold on xSFJ. I liked the hissy fit she threw when her mother told her she was to train Jake.

I think how Space_Oddity and Jennifer are trying to glean NFJ from SFJ is interesting. I don't see NFJ as being more ethereal...it's possible to be a very grounded NFJ that doesn't sparkle in the moonlight, I don't think that's typological oxymoron. I definitely saw more Se than Si. How would either of you describe healthy Fe-Ne vs Fe-Se...that may be helpful in determining which loop she was using. Anyways, I liked her character a lot, she was very expressive so I'll be happy to claim her either way.

Dr. Grace Augustine: agree with ENTJ, she was pretty live and I think that was tertiary Se. I feel like an NTP would be more reluctant to physically engage but she didn't hesitate. And she was all about "getting her samples" and collecting data which to me implies Te-Se. I think Neytiri is a good contrast for Fe-Se.

Trudy Chacon: ESxP, she doesn't necessarily have to be a T.

Miles Quaritch
    Parker Selfridge
    Now these two are interesting.

Parker was very reluctant to physically engage, he liked to stay pretty and clean. That doesn't seem like Se to me, but I've run across a lot of ESTP guys with the attitude of "I'm too pretty to fight" and worried about scuffing their shoes. He was disgusted with the savages he was surrounded by, was a businessman--never seen in casual clothes, played golf, didn't give much credence to the beliefs of the indigenous people. His only god was money and the stockholders were the Olympians.

I believe Miles was pathologically aggressive and full of bloodlust. I don't think the mission necessarily mattered to him, he just liked to destroy and maim. That's why he was on Pandora because it was a new territory to be conquered and people to be crushed. I think Te-doms can be very exploratory. That label is usually tagged on to ExTPs but Te can do the same thing with different motivations. The scene where he ran out to shot at the plane with no air mask on...I can't tell if that's some determined Te or Se. He also was the one who suggested destroy Ewyah (?) to destroy their moral. May not mean anything, but he seemed to go straight for the jugular. So for him I'm willing to go ESTP or ENTJ.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I've seen plenty of shitty movies with nothing else to redeem them, so the fact that the visuals in this movie were amazing, even though the story was formulaic, puts it in my "good" category.

Here are my typings:

Jake- ISFP (I see a lot of people typing him as ISTP, but I think he comes off more as an F. And Neytiri's whole "strong of heart" comment made me think Fi.)
    Neytiri- ENFJ or INFJ (I don't see ESFJ at all. She's all about the "energy" and the ancestral spirits, she interprets and gives importance to signs, symbols, and prophesies, and she's WAY more Se than Si.)
    Grace- ENTJ or INTJ (the NTJ part is absolute in my mind. She's pushy and aggressive, and her staunch humanism- or whatever you'd call it in this context- points to tertiary Fi.)
    Miles- ESTP (He's an asshole who just wants to destroy things. His lack of planning and strategy is evident in the fail that was his last mission. It seems like pure bravado was his driving motivation.)
    Parker- I don't know, really. Some sort of xSTx.
    Trudy- XSTP (the actress who plays her is always some sort of xSTP in her movies, so I figured that would work as a starting point. Also, technically and mechanically inclined. She was a pilot for chrissakes!)
    Norm- INFP (at first I thought INTP because he was nerdy and academic, but then his random jealousy and his passive aggressive tactics seemed more INFP-like than INTP.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

I think we could make good use of interaction styles (which really helps differentiate some 1-letter-off types).

Miles: ESTP (In-Charge is both ENTJ and ESTP... Te-Se or Se-Fe?...therefore ENTJ)
    Trudy: ISTP (Chart-The-Course instead of In-Charge)
    Norm: INFP (Behind-The-Scenes)
    Grace: ENTJ (In-Charge)
    Neytiri: ENFJ (ESFJ is Get-Things-Going; ENFJ is In-Charge)

Jake: ESFP (He is CLEARY Get-Things-Going:
    • He actually reminds me of some brash ENFP (also GTC) behavior that I've witnessed. Always trying to solve problems he has no business solving or has even created himself.
    • In this case though, its usually through brash "look at me!" instead of "considering the possibilities" that he 'solves' problems
    • There is no way that he is Behind-The-Scenes or In-Charge (ESTP or ISFP).
    • Between ISTP and ESFP its Chart-The-Course or Get-Things-Going. He is a man of impulsive action rather than tinkering leading to action.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Neytiri- ENFJ or INFJ (I don't see ESFJ at all. She's all about the "energy" and the ancestral spirits, she interprets and gives importance to signs, symbols, and prophesies, and she's WAY more Se than Si.)
    Aside from the frustration here, I'm rather fascinated by how everyone is using the typical "creative/mythos" card to identify someone as an N. ... just sort of watching it all unfold.

I think if people accept (1) the entire CULTURE speaks in mythos ... which means the SJs will do so as well regardless of lack of N, and (2) then compare Neytiri to Moat (the true intuitive here, and far more ENFJ), the contrast will show a difference in approach and thinking. It is just SJ thinking/processing applied to N-style topical matter.

Maybe my experience with a lot of religious ISFJs who "speak faith/mythos" all the time and look for signs constantly in the environment, just as Neytiri does, is what is giving me a different view on this one. Religious SFJs can easily "talk the spiritual talk" but they do it in different ways than N's and the underlying attitudes are different, as well as how they respond to signs.

Note that Moat is far more flexible in her sign interpretation than Neytiri. With the S types, as soon as a sign comes into being, they tend to take it at face value and in a predetermined fashion. N's are far more fluid in their handling of signs.

The biggest: Jake, once he became Turok-Mak-Toh, flipped from hero to villain and most of the SJ culture did not even have to think twice about it; the gods had spoken. The N's, especially Ni people, I think were far more aware of the implications of his actions and the choices that went into them. When everyone turned on Jake at the tree, who came back to him and let him go? Moat. She was the one who looked past the sign (Jake "using" the people) and saw his heart and heard the earnestness in his voice. Neytiri wasn't any better than the others; first she felt violated ("I trusted you, because you did and said all the 'right things' to show you were one of my people, and now I find that you knew my people would be destroyed" and then "Get away, you are not one of us.") How much more SFJ can you get?

SJ's tend to see signs and behaviors as facts; N's see signs as indicators and fluid at that.

Again, look beyond the fact she can speak in mythic language (which is external and learned) and look at how she actually behaves and what she values.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

I snuck into Avatar last night while waiting a couple hours for Brothers (sucked btw)
    and got a better feeling for the characters the second time around. Upon further review...

Jake Sully - XSFP (and mentally retarded)
    Neytiri - ESFJ
    Dr. Grace Augustine - ENTJ (win)
    Colonel Miles Quaritch - ESTJ (Te)
    Trudy Chacon - ESTP (Se)
    Parker Selfridge - ESTP (Ti/Se)
    Tsu'Tey - ISTJ (freakin' SJ)
    Norm - INFP (Fi/Ne)
    You can call me Charles.