Thread: Donnie Darko

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Okay, look (and I was coming back to post this thought anyway):

You cannot discern the difference between an Ni personality and a person who has had a real spiritual experience where something that normally is intuitive is NOT intuitive to them but a real, tangible, breathing FACT.

IOW, Donnie has "special knowledge" that most human beings do not have. What you attribute to Ni vision is actually a sensory experience for him. He's responding to that very real perceptive experience, with as much certainty as an S would responsible to a concrete experience because for him it was not an intuition but it is right in front of him, he has been given the knowledge as truth.

That's why the rules here are broken.

Even INFJs can't claim to have had miraculous experiences. They are operating directly from Ni. Donnie is operating from divine revelation that has also been shown to the audience, so we know the actual experience he gets his information from.

I mean, geez, I've had 1-3 serious spiritual experiences to me are equivalent of "fact" in terms of what I experienced, so I speak of those experiences as facts.. but it doesn't mean I'm using Ni even if I speak with 100% conviction over what I experienced and others would read it as intuition.

Everything else about him in terms of how he interacts with real life is very P. He flexes and adjusts to situations.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Hello

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Excellent point.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Okay, look (and I was coming back to post this thought anyway):

You cannot discern the difference between an Ni personality and a person who has had a real spiritual experience where something that normally is intuitive is NOT intuitive to them but a real, tangible, breathing FACT.

IOW, Donnie has "special knowledge" that most human beings do not have. What you attribute to Ni vision is actually a sensory experience for him. He's responding to that very real perceptive experience, with as much certainty as an S would responsible to a concrete experience because for him it was not an intuition but it is right in front of him, he has been given the knowledge as truth.

That's why the rules here are broken.

Even INFJs can't claim to have had miraculous experiences. They are operating directly from Ni. Donnie is operating from divine revelation that has also been shown to the audience, so we know the actual experience he gets his information from.

I mean, geez, I've had 1-3 serious spiritual experiences to me are equivalent of "fact" in terms of what I experienced, so I speak of those experiences as facts.. but it doesn't mean I'm using Ni even if I speak with 100% conviction over what I experienced and others would read it as intuition.

Everything else about him in terms of how he interacts with real life is very P. He flexes and adjusts to situations.
    Ah! Yes, this is the point I was going to make!
    +100

Not to mention, if Donnie is in a time loop, he's already experienced the stuff thats going on so its a no brainer that he would do things differently or the same as he goes along. He knows more than others because he's done it already. There's nothing Ni about it. Its just plan ol' sensory.

As for mental illness... I don't know. He had this 'illness' before frank came along, but then again the beginning of the movie was just another part of the time loop. He's just messing with stuff to see how it goes. Like in the that clip someone posted above, he says that destruction is a form of creation. The kids in the book [and possibly himself] just want to see what it'll look like to ruin the world. Why not? He knows time will start over again, why not screw stuff up and see how it'll turn out?

All in all, he knows whats going to happen because he's lived it already. Not everything may be the same, but I'm sure its pretty close in some aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    see how Donnie spends much of his time viewing life as one large image/tapestry and trying to connect it all together. That's N.
    Good observation! I would say that's specifically Ni. Ne wouldn't be as concerned with deep understanding of complexities; it would probably just want to take simplicities and expand them infinitely in order to explore the possibilities. That's not very Donnie. However, I also see a very strong Ti which also tries to structure and simplify everything; I think the difference between those two functions is that Ni attempts to observe implications and connections, whereas Ti attempts to synthesize a structure into which these things fit. NiTi would explain his detachment from reality and apparent social awkwardness. I think ISTP is almost equally possible; it would just mean that his introverted judging gets higher preference than his introverted perceiving. So he generates a structure before applying an input rather than allowing the input to form the structure itself.

I feel like I'm speaking in parables...

I think Frank as an INTJ works out fine. I think Gretchen is pretty obviously ISFP though.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Going back and reading your posts though (everyone), I think the actualized S experience read is possible. It's a seemingly spiritual thing for everyone else, but if the person experiencing it experiences it as an actual experience, then experientially, we must consider that it is an experience.

I think it's well worth pointing out that any read you get on Donnie's character depends entirely on how you analyze the film.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    Ah! Yes, this is the point I was going to make!
    +100

Not to mention, if Donnie is in a time loop, he's already experienced the stuff thats going on so its a no brainer that he would do things differently or the same as he goes along. He knows more than others because he's done it already. There's nothing Ni about it. Its just plan ol' sensory.

As for mental illness... I don't know. He had this 'illness' before frank came along, but then again the beginning of the movie was just another part of the time loop. He's just messing with stuff to see how it goes. Like in the that clip someone posted above, he says that destruction is a form of creation. The kids in the book [and possibly himself] just want to see what it'll look like to ruin the world. Why not? He knows time will start over again, why not screw stuff up and see how it'll turn out?

All in all, he knows whats going to happen because he's lived it already. Not everything may be the same, but I'm sure its pretty close in some aspects.
    This is completely wrong, no offense. He hasn't experienced it before; he's in a "tangent universe" that has split off from the main timeline of the primary universe and he has to go back in time in order to eliminate the tangent universe and keep the real universe from collapsing.

It's all in The Philosophy of Time Travel which is included in its full (but brief) text on the DVD of the movie.

Donnie has no factual/concrete awareness of what's going to happen to him until the very end of the movie when he pieces it all together (finally realizing his destiny via Ni) and returns the Artifact to the primary universe. He hasn't experienced it before because he's not in a time loop; he's in a separate timeline that has branched off from the "main" timeline, in a parallel tangent universe that will end in 28 days.

The Donnie in the primary universe died from the jet engine falling on his house at the beginning of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    Going back and reading your posts though (everyone), I think the actualized S experience read is possible. It's a seemingly spiritual thing for everyone else, but if the person experiencing it experiences it as an actual experience, then experientially, we must consider that it is an experience.

I think it's well worth pointing out that any read you get on Donnie's character depends entirely on how you analyze the film.
    This movie makes 20x more sense after you read The Philosophy of Time Travel mentioned above. The actualized S experience explanation is totally off.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    That's true of virtually all art, literature, and film.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFp None

Definitely INFJ for Donnie. Gretchen is most likely an ISFP/ISTP.
    Donnie sees the big picture, but also tries to understand the truth behind things. He doesn't think things can be simply understood or categorized (do you remember that scene about fear vs love?).
    INFJs are known for having inherent comprehension of the human mind. He can't stand it when someone tries to simplify and categorize human beings and their emotions, and that can easily be seen, also, when he interferes and give "real" advices to those kids (right before the "antichrist" scene). He also recognizes the mean motives behind Jim's actions. Gosh, he's an INFJ to the core. Best representation of INFJs going through a Ni-Ti loop I've ever seen. The Ni-Ti loop happens mostly through adolescence, so, yeah. Donnie Darko is an INFJ.
    Melancholic | Creator | Inquisitive
    Linguistic / Interpersonal / Intrapersonal
    Ni>Fi>Ti>Fe>Ne>Si>Te>Se

[With poetry, one] is capable of going beyond the limitations of coherent logic, and conveying the deep complexity and truth of the impalpable connections and hidden phenomena of life.
    Andrei Tarkovsky, Sculpting in Time