User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    CAT

Ok...

I disagree with J.R.R. Tolkien's typing - his books as well as his life are soaked in Fi. Not every absent-minded professor is an INTP. INFP and INTP absent-minded professors appear very similar outwardly, so one has to look carefully at the Fi-Ti difference. Tolkien was certainly an INFP imo, very similar to my dad actually.

I still maintain that J.K. Rowling is an INFJ... but there will be a thread on her somewhere already, won't it?

Angela Carter - definitely an INFJ imo (as much as I'd love to claim her). Her works are full of symbols, there are always very specific allusions to different works or traditions, her imagination is directed inwards and it 'specifies' rather than 'amplifies' = Ni, not Ne.

I really wonder about Oscar Wilde's true type... I could see the ENTP for his plays, but 'Happy Prince and Other Stories' screams F to me (and most personality pages list him as an INFP). Angela Carter was likened to him as far as I've read, which really got me thinking about his type.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Oddity View Post
    Ok...

I disagree with J.R.R. Tolkien's typing - his books as well as his life are soaked in Fi. Not every absent-minded professor is an INTP. INFP and INTP absent-minded professors appear very similar outwardly, so one has to look carefully at the Fi-Ti difference. Tolkien was certainly an INFP imo, very similar to my dad actually.

I still maintain that J.K. Rowling is an INFJ... but there will be a thread on her somewhere already, won't it?

Angela Carter - definitely an INFJ imo (as much as I'd love to claim her). Her works are full of symbols, there are always very specific allusions to different works or traditions, her imagination is directed inwards and it 'specifies' rather than 'amplifies' = Ni, not Ne.

I really wonder about Oscar Wilde's true type... I could see the ENTP for his plays, but 'Happy Prince and Other Stories' screams F to me (and most personality pages list him as an INFP). Angela Carter was likened to him as far as I've read, which really got me thinking about his type.
    I agree with all of these, apart from Wilde. I take your point, but ENTP just fits the best so far.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    This is a long list.

James Joyce, IMO, was more likely an INFP than INFJ. I've only read "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man", but I'm assuming his main character Stephen was supposed to be somewhat based on himself.. and he was very open-ended, letting his emotions and passion for art lead him to his "destiny".

Ayn Rand.. I've read all of her fiction. A lot of people here are going to disagree with me but I don't think she's an INTJ at all. ISTJ fits her a lot better.
    Ayn Rand wasn't interested in looking for new information to help adapt her philosophy. She was very narrow in this respect. The quest of knowledge didn't seem to interest her much at all.. not that SJ's can't be interested in knowledge.. but it's a primary character trait of an NT.

From reading her fiction alone, it's easy to think of her as an NT. However, when you look at the woman herself, there is some doubt.

People described her as forceful and overbearing. She also actively extinguished any sort of dissent and was 100% stubborn about her ideas- in the sense that she wouldn't even allow a moment to think about it.. while, I would think, the INTJ would, by principle, want his/her ideas to be so logically consistent that even if someone were to point out a flaw.. while the INTJ's ego could be hurt- the INTJ would test and see how this works into his/her philosophy. Ayn Rand just didn't care about that. She wanted to belong to a group of "superior, enlightened people".. which is a desire of a neurotic SJ.
    I see much Ti in Joyce, and he seems more of an extraverted feeler. I initially had him typed as INTP, but others have made interesting arguments for his being Ni dominant and I have to say INFJ seems to fit him better than INFP.

As for Ayn Rand - an SJ Philosopher? That could explain why she sucks so much.

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    I agree with all of these, apart from Wilde. I take your point, but ENTP just fits the best so far.
    Perhaps this is just a meaningless idea, but couldn't Wilde be an ENFJ after all? The judging functions would be the same as for ENTP, and the more I learn about typology the more Ni+Se I see in Wilde's works.

(Also, I confess I have this strange vibe that Stephen Fry is the same type as him - which is why he portrayed him so convincingly, imo - and you have him listed as an ENFJ in your celebrity type list... Besides that, I have an ENFJ gay friend who has a very similar 'vibe', sense of humor and imagination like these two... oh, the science)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Perhaps this is just a meaningless idea, but couldn't Wilde be an ENFJ after all? The judging functions would be the same as for ENTP, and the more I learn about typology the more Ni+Se I see in Wilde's works.

(Also, I confess I have this strange vibe that Stephen Fry is the same type as him - which is why he portrayed him so convincingly, imo - and you have him listed as an ENFJ in your celebrity type list... Besides that, I have an ENFJ gay friend who has a very similar 'vibe', sense of humor and imagination like these two... oh, the science)
    He does kinda have an ENFJ look about him. By jove, I think you may be right.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    He does kinda have an ENFJ look about him. By jove, I think you may be right.
    Wow. That would be really great if we finally nailed him, he's pretty hard to figure out!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Wow. That would be really great if we finally nailed him, he's pretty hard to figure out!
    I'll change him to ENFJ (and any other subsequent typings) on the next DN's list I make as I can't edit my OP any more.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Feel free to continue to contest my list or add suggestions to it. I'll add them when I next repost the list.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    intp

J. K. Rowling is definitely an NF... and she does have the INFJ eyes...

I don't know anything about her character but her HP books, especially the last one, scream NF to me. Ha, I used to think that she's an INTP because she's not very good at writing about romance, but seems more focused on creating the perfect plotline. But the last book especially was so value-oriented that I must have been wrong.

I have started reading some lovecraft and he seems INP, probably INTP to me.