User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Glycerine

I have always thought INFP for him. The impression I got from the book was that he was just a spoiled brat that wanted to spite the world. To me, he just reeked of elitism. *Do away with society and all it's capitalistic evils...it's all pointless* It was his fault that he died but it was still sad. To go that extreme on his values seems like really high Fi...going against the grain.
    However, he had A LOT of guts which was admirable.
    EDIT: I apologize if that came off really harsh and offended anyone.

MBTI
    Bast
    Enneagram
    Nix
    Socionics
    HSP None

I remember watching this movie and being completely mesmerized by it. I completely understood why he did what he did. Others that watched it with me, find it a very weird movie and didn't quite comprehend what the hell he was thinking

Based on that, I'd say Fi-user..but its been too long for me to really put a type on it.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Be careful what you believe, because that is the world you'll create - Cassie Nightingale

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I read the book and watched the movie. I even had an Into the Wild avatar for some time a month or two back..if anyone remembers.

Like Jennifer said on the first page, we can't assume the whole idealistic society that goes back to Jack London is an NF thing. Chris was, possibly, arrogant, and incrediby smart.

But...

If you look at his character as a whole and you get thinking along the lines of archtypes (which MBTI is loosely based upon), then INFP makes sense.

I'm thinking INFP.

Look at his function line up:

He clearly possessed Fi and Ne as opposed to Ni Te with an INTJ.

The act of abandonment was a product of his emotions and grudges with society and his "high" sense of consciousness, global (almost even universal) outlook on life, and his keen ability to draw comparisons and maps that seemed to be greater than life.

Plus, an NT wouldn't find it logical or functional to do what Chris did. At least from the get-go...Ok, I'm going to burn my money, abandon my car, ditch my family, and find myself. I mean, even as an NF I would say that at first thought that seems a little far-fetched.

His idealism fueled him. It motivated him because he had a dream, an image of one day being in a better world (literally or metaphorically). And ultimately, he made it come true.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's just funny: I can't for the life of me imagine any INFP male I know behaving like this.

Maybe my experience is limited, but I don't feel like it is.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's just funny: I can't for the life of me imagine any INFP male I know behaving like this.

Actually I do agree with you.

I can see why people type him as INFP, though.

I still don't know that I see INTJ either, to be completely honest, but I think I would lean more towards INTJ before INFP. (And I'd choose ISFP before I'd choose INFP). I do agree with Amargith that he seems clearly Fi -- so, well, I guess that gets rid of 8 of the types, right? As to him 'clearly having Ne', why? I identified with many elements of his process/journey..why couldn't he be exhibiting Ni rather than Ne? Throw Se in with the Ni and you could have something that resembles Ne.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Glycerine

I could see INTJ as a possibility because he always needed to best at everything (more of a J tendency). In the book, it mentions that Chris quit the school band just because his sister got the first chair while he got stuck with second chair (I forgot what instrument). Also, he seems to be using a lot of Fi so a Ni-Fi loop with some inferior Se aspiration could make sense.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Definitely. But we have read the book and I don't know if the movie paints a different picture. From the book, you get the idea that they guy was a bit of an indipendent asshole, even if friendly and resilient. A lot of details about his "real" life are totally anti-INFP. When they talk about how he used to lead the cross-country running team, when his father talks about him being "bored because he found stuff in school and business too easy", just about his whole approach to life is totally opposite of an IxFP.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    When they talk about how he used to lead the cross-country running team
    That doesn't sound INFP.

when his father talks about him being "bored because he found stuff in school and business too easy"
    That sounds very INFP.

The movie gave me an SP vibe, by the way the character was played, but I also assumed they heavily romanticized it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EIE

I haven't read the book.

In the movie he seemed like an ENFx probably a P

Despite the solitude he sought after, he was depicted as really out going and took up company with whoever, wherever, readily opening up to and connecting with others.

Obviously, having not read the book, I have no idea about the real McCandless.

I've watched the movie and read the book. The movie was pretty awesome, but, sadly, it does glorify Christopher. Keep in mind that he had many flaws like everyone does.
    He definitely seems to be an INTJ.
    He's clearly introverted. While at college, he spent most of his time alone. His end goal was to be alone in the wild. Yes, he did seem pretty extroverted with the friends he gained along during his travels, but all introverts have the ability to be gregarious especially when with close friends.
    I can understand why people might think he's F type, but how do you come up with crazy ideologies about life and the world with your feelings? He definitely thought a lot about how the world works and how money doesn't mean anything. If he was an F, how does he end up hating his parents and leaving them behind to suffer? When other people are astonished by the fact that his parents don't know where he is, he pretty much brushes them off. Clearly, he didn't care much about their opinions like an F would.
    He's more of J than T. His trip to the wild wasn't some impulsive whim which many people mistake it for. He definitely put a lot of planning into this project because living off the Alaskan wild with as little supplies as possible needs extreme discipline and training. If you've read the book, you know that he would drive off over the summers on mini journeys. he was testing his limits seeing how far he could push himself. Could he live off a sack of rice for long periods of time? He realized he could. He'd ask experts along the way about the best way to cook meat and collect berries. If he was a P, he'd would have impulsively walked into the wild and realized he couldn't survive on his own with what he had. He'd actually probably walked out alive in that case.

His personality in the movie is distorted because it really only shows him while he was on his journey. It's his life before he started the journey that really tells about who he is. By all accounts, he was an intense person who wasn't worried about the direct feelings of others.
    So, yea, I agree with all the other people who think he's an INTJ.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :wubbie:
  • :smile:
  • :D
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink: