Thanks...
    But... (points to original topic)...?
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Please help me out on this!

I am searching for strong, interesting fictional characters of every type. I want to use them as examples of the types, so they have to be quite clear.

So far, I've got (mostly of Harry Potter - can you correct if I'm wrong about their type?):

ESTJ: Vernon Dursley (Harry Potter)
    ISTJ: ???
    ESFJ: Molly Weasley, Gilderoy Lockhart (Harry Potter)
    ISFJ: Don Jos (opera Carmen)

ENTJ: Stach (Koning van Katoren)
    INTJ: Voldemort (Harry Potter)
    ENTP: prof. Gobelijn (Jommeke)
    INTP: ???

ESTP: Horace Slughorn (Harry Potter)
    ISTP: Arthur Weasley (Harry Potter)
    ESFP: Ludo Bagman (Harry Potter), Lambik (Suske & Wiske)
    ISFP: Harry Potter (Harry Potter)

ENFJ: Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter)
    INFJ: ???
    ENFP: Carmen (opera Carmen)
    INFP: Bastian Bux (Neverending Story)

Thank you!
    Hmm, I'm not sure if I agree with all your choices so far... It seems to me that a few of your examples are quite disputable. It's not like it isn't possible they are that type, but I'm not sure if they are typical representatives of that type. But then, there will be always discussion about this, so what.

A few ideas (do you want only books, or movies as well, by the way?):

ESTJ - Marilla Cuthbert (Anne of Green Gables), Granny Weatherwax (Discworld)
    ISTJ - Charles Bovary (Madame Bovary), Jay Gatsby (The Great Gatsby) ... perhaps more romantic than the 'typical' one, though
    ESFJ - Mrs Bennet (Pride and Prejudice)
    ISFJ - Sonia (Crime and Punishment), Amelia Sedley (Vanity Fair)

ENTJ - Lord Asriel (His Dark Materials)
    INTJ - Mr Darcy (Pride and Prejudice), Severus Snape (Harry Potter)
    ENTP - Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice), Becky Sharp (Vanity Fair)
    INTP - Raskolnikov (Crime and Punishment), Mr Bennet (Pride and Prejudice)

ESTP - Fred and George Weasley (Harry Potter)
    ISTP - ?
    ESFP - Ron Weasley (Harry Potter)
    ISFP - Marry Lennox (The Secret Garden)

ENFJ - Genji (Tale of Genji)
    INFJ - Sethe (Beloved)
    ENFP - Marianne (Sense and Sensibility), Holly Golightly (Breakfast at Tiffany's)
    INFP - Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables), Frodo Baggins (The Lord of the Rings), Tereza (Unbearable Lightness of Being)

This is fun, all hail procrastination

MBTI
    INFP

Mostly from American Movies. Sorry, I am not that well read in the classics. I am curious if you all agree or disagree with these. I am new at this.

Lieutenant John Dunbar, a/k/a Dances With Wolves -- ENFP

R. P. McMurphy (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) -- ESTP

The Departed:
    Billy Costigan (Leonardo) -- INFP
    Collin Sullivan (Matt Damon) -- ESTJ
    Frank Costello (Nicholson) -- ESFP

Michael Clayton -- ???? somebody tell me

Andy DuFresne (Shawshank Redemption) -- ISTJ

Jerry Maguire (difficult because he undergoes a major transformation) -- ESTP?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Btw, I would have thought Harry was a T. The reason being he seems more interested in theory than emotion usually and he's quite explosive with his emotion when he's upset which would be more indicative of an F shadow wouldn't it?
    Ok you have him.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENTP

Thank you a lot!

What about Mary Lennox (The secret garden)? INFJ?

Sebastian (Neverending Story), Isa (Isa's Dream), Anne (Anne of Green Gables), Frodo (Lord of the Rings), Ofelia (Pan's Labyrinth)...
    Why is it (almost) always the INFPs who get to live those interesting adventures in those interesting fantasy worlds? I'm jealous...

I'll go work on my novel. The fantasy genre clearly needs more ESTJ main characters!

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske
    What about Mary Lennox (The secret garden)? INFJ?
    I'd say ISFP. Her feeling seems to be introverted and I wouldn't say she's intuitive. The whole book is about how she changes from a disagreeable, misanthropic child into a loving and wholesome one through the care of a garden, which seems to be very ISFP to me. Dickon is probably an ISFP as well - he gets on with all living creatures/things in an almost magical way, and Mary is fascinated by it. Colin might be an INTJ.

I would say, though, that Sara in The Little Princess is INFJ.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Oddity View Post
    I'd say ISFP. Her feeling seems to be introverted and I wouldn't say she's intuitive. The whole book is about how she changes from a disagreeable, misanthropic child into a loving and wholesome one through the care of a garden, which seems to be very ISFP to me. Dickon is probably an ISFP as well - he gets on with all living creatures/things in an almost magical way, and Mary is fascinated by it. Colin might be an INTJ.
    You're absolutely right about Mary. I skimmed through the book again... I guess I was a bit blinded by her hang to magic. But magic doesn't equal intuitive... She has heard a lot of stories about magic in India and she uses the words she knows. She sees magic in concrete details (pale green points in the garden,... ): Se at work.

I'm not sure about Dickon - I'm hesitating between ISFP and ESFP. True, he spends most of his time alone on the moor, but he feels connected to every living creature. He won't spend his time alone inside a house! He's very open, too... look at his way of keeping secrets. (Mother, I've got a secret to keep. It's not a bad one, you know...). He goes to the moor in order to observe things! Se again - and rather dominating, in my opinion.

What about Martha - ESFJ?

MBTI
    CAT

I'm not sure about Dickon - I'm hesitating between ISFP and ESFP. True, he spends most of his time alone on the moor, but he feels connected to every living creature. He won't spend his time alone inside a house! He's very open, too... look at his way of keeping secrets. (Mother, I've got a secret to keep. It's not a bad one, you know...). He goes to the moor in order to observe things! Se again - and rather dominating, in my opinion.

What about Martha - ESFJ?
    Yeah, you're right about Dickon. He doesn't seem introverted at all. ESFP didn't came to my mind right away because most of ESFPs I know IRL have pretty low Fi, i.e. aren't as 'good-hearted' as Dickon. Dickon seems to be an 'ideal' ESFP He would indeed also make a good contrast to Colin, who might be an INTJ (but he isn't entirely mentally healthy most of the book, so it's hard to say).

Martha... Not so sure, I'd have to leaf through the book again I guess. I mostly remember her unfailingly warm-hearted nature and 'simplicity' (in the best sense of the word). Yeah, I guess she might be a very sweet kind of an ESFJ, because she's definitely a dominant extroverted feeler, also in the 'ideal' way.

MBTI
    ENTP

^Feelers and Sensors seem to rule in that book . I love it - one of the ways to get all those interesting Se details through my thick skull is by reading about them instead of looking at them in real life

MBTI
    CAT

I love it - one of the ways to get all those interesting Se details through my thick skull is by reading about them instead of looking at them in real life
    I know EXACTLY what you mean! I really enjoy reading about 'sensory things' in books, but when I write something like that I pretty much use only my imagination (not observations) which is heavily based on what I read, not what I experienced. *headdesk*

My ISTJ boyfriend is pretty perplexed by it :

Me: "Wow, this is such a beautiful reference book on sewing and all different textures. I'd like to buy it and imagine all those things, I really love writing about dresses and textures!"
    Bf: "And wouldn't you better like to learn how to sew...?!"

Damn intuition