• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My INTP(?) Crush Du Jour

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You should go hug a tree or something. Take your mind off it.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not a vegetarian, but I find her response to the whole fence in the Serengeti thing dumb. It's like she's saying, "Some vegetarians are really stupid, so vegetarianism must be bad."

What is her argument exactly about feminism and vegetarianism?

Fecal McAngry

I'm not a vegetarian, but I find her response to the whole fence in the Serengeti thing dumb. It's like she's saying, "Some vegetarians are really stupid, so vegetarianism must be bad."
No, that really isn't her argument--you just read a sliver of her book. What Keith is saying in TVM is that 1) the premise of veganism--that it causes less "harm to the planet" or is "less cruel" or "is kinder to animals" or whatever is demonstrably 100% wrong and 2) the premise that vegan/vegetarian diets are healthier for human beings is equally wrong. The section you just read was about how she got from point A (a committed True Believer vegan for 20 years) to point B (an omnivore and advocate for environmentally healthy agriculture which includes the slaughter and consumption of many living things)...If I didn't post this review w/great comments before: The Vegetarian Myth | The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm just saying, that excerpt does not make me want to read more. I read the review you linked to, and am kind of horrified that that reviewer singled that out as a great part of the book, so I don't trust his opinion either.

Fecal McAngry

I'm just saying, that excerpt does not make me want to read more. I read the review you linked to, and am kind of horrified that that reviewer singled that out as a great part of the book, so I don't trust his opinion either.
TVM may not be your cup of tea, but the reviews at Amazon might be more interesting: Amazon.com: The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability (9781604860801): Lierre Keith: Books

Of course, the reaction to her book among vegans has been akin to what would happen on the left if Obama announced his conversion to Laissez-faire capitalism...

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm still curious about what she says about feminism + vegetarianism.