User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Alain de Botton

MBTI
    INTP

Default Alain de Botton

Any fans? I love him.

I'm thinking high ranking Si. He's all about what physical objects evoke--all of The Architecture of Happiness, the airplane graveyard, and the pelican shoes in that one book, etc.

Doesn't take criticism well, concerned with what others think of him--posted a horrible, immature comment on the blog of someone who gave him a negative review, tweeted that he felt "so ashamed" afterward. A rare moment of impulsivity. Must Google himself all the time.

I'd say Fe/Ti, leaning toward the F side but with well-developed T.

ISFJ?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

If he googles himself frequently, he'll eventually find this thread. Maybe he'll register and tell us.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Ha. That would be delightful.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    Any fans? I love him.

I'm thinking high ranking Si. He's all about what physical objects evoke--all of The Architecture of Happiness, the airplane graveyard, and the pelican shoes in that one book, etc.

Doesn't take criticism well, concerned with what others think of him--posted a horrible, immature comment on the blog of someone who gave him a negative review, tweeted that he felt "so ashamed" afterward. A rare moment of impulsivity. Must Google himself all the time.

I'd say Fe/Ti, leaning toward the F side but with well-developed T.

ISFJ?
    Oh no. NONONONONO!! Are you mad?
    NO.

He is definitely INXP (prolly F, as you say). His work absolutely reeks of Ne! The meticulous observation is a habit he has forced himself to learn to make his writing more evocative.
    I adore him. If only he were more prolific.

I'm trying to find the bit in The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work about killing the tuna fish. Maybe I'll post it later.

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    If he googles himself frequently, he'll eventually find this thread. Maybe he'll register and tell us.
    He has impeccable taste and would never condescend to do so, I'm sure.
    (although I would faint from happiness if he did )

EDIT:
    A cry goes up on deck. One of the school, by all indications a heavier, older specimen, a veteran of five years of unmolested navigation, has taken a bite at a bait of mackerel. Fifteen minutes later he announces himself on the starboard side, panicked and enraged, his tail hammering against the boat. Fifty kilos in weight, he is attempting to prise himself free of the cable tearing apart his palette, but he does not count on two men, above him at either end, reaching into the water with steel hooks and flipping him onto the deck with a victorious cry. Pandemonium follows. The tuna has never been this far out of the water, has never seen light this bright, but he knows instinctively that he will drown in so much air. The fishermen need him to stop flooding his arteries with blood in panic, or he will darken and therefore ruin the appearance of his flesh against a dinner plate. So the captains brother swiftly wrestles him between his rubber boots and raises aloft a large blunt mallet, resembling the archetypal club of prehistoric man, carved from the trunk of a coconut tree. He brings it down heavily. The tunas eyes jerk out of their sockets. His tail convulses. His jaw opens and closes, as ours might do, but no scream emerges. The mallet strikes again. There is a dull sound, that of densely packed brain and experience, shattering inside a tight bony cage, triggering the thought that we too are never more than one hard slam away from a definitive end to our carefully arranged ideas and copious involvement with ourselves. The fisherman himself is enraged now, striking the beast vengefully, cursing the dying creature in Dhivehi Nagooballa, nagooballa, hey aruvaalaani (Bitch, bitch, youve had it now). This is the first tuna hes caught in eight days and there are six children waiting at home.

Rich red blood explodes from the creatures brain and sprays across the boat. Two of the younger crewman rush forward and slit open his mouth, pulling out his gills and ventilation system. Next they turn their knives to his stomach releasing the undigested bodies of smaller fish fusiliers, cardinal fish, sprats on which he has breakfasted at the start of this infernal day. The deck becomes slippery with organs. As the killing spree goes on I find myself thinking obsessively of my elder son, four years old and about the same length as some of the larger fish. It is no longer implausible that, as many religions maintain, we are all in the end, from moth to president, members of the same, large, irrevocably fratricidal family. Unburdened of his guts and reproductive tract, the tuna is hoisted in the air and plunged into the first of four refrigerated compartments, which will, by nightfall, be filled by the bodies of a further twenty of his companions. One wonders what the atmosphere will be like in the school, 60 metres below, as the survivors pursue their way to Somalia; whether there will be a memory of the absent members and, in the pitch-black waters, a terrible fear.

I read this passage aloud to a friend. At the end, we looked each other and said one word in unison: NF!

Last edited by Salomé; 12-04-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not mad, I'm just a noob. Have you read the pelican shoes bit?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Pelican shoes?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Haha! I loved that book. I wanted to be that girl with the green eyes and the red hair and the alluring neck..

Why do I always end up sitting next to sweaty, leery, pin-striped knobs on flights? Where are all the nerdy philosophers when you want to share a bag of nuts and passion for Goethe?

MBTI
    INTP

Okay, you got me with dead tuna --> my four year old son.

MBTI
    INTP

Have you seen his videos, btw? Even more charming than on paper.

YouTube - Status Anxiety Pt. 1 (1 of 5)