• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Marshall Mcluhan

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm reading a lot of Mcluhan at the moment and he is quite insightful and entertaining. What type is he?

Usehername

On a mission
INxx.

He's known for being far more wordy and confusing than he needs to be, but his points were revolutionary and consequential. He also gave numerous academics their idea for their life's work by the countless little thoughts that were important ruminations that he had woven throughout his pages.

My prof said McLuhan had important ideas but unless our topic was directly McLuhanesque we should just read someone else talking about what he said to avoid being frustrated (he didn't think too highly of McLuhan's writing, only his ideas). I've never actually read him yet, though I have Understanding Media on my shelf and am generally familiar with his main ideas.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INxx.

He's known for being far more wordy and confusing than he needs to be, but his points were revolutionary and consequential. He also gave numerous academics their idea for their life's work by the countless little thoughts that were important ruminations that he had woven throughout his pages.

My prof said McLuhan had important ideas but unless our topic was directly McLuhanesque we should just read someone else talking about what he said to avoid being frustrated (he didn't think too highly of McLuhan's writing, only his ideas). I've never actually read him yet, though I have Understanding Media on my shelf and am generally familiar with his main ideas.

i have understanding media somewhere in my big box o books, but i haven't gotten to it yet. is his writing aphoristic? does it seem more Ni or Ti?

also, you have good taste in books. i'd be interested in hearing in more detail about your academic program.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I wouldn't say he's confusing. He just doesn't state things directly always. He more weaves them in through descriptions of how society and the world works. As a whole, it puts you in the right place. If you were using is as a reference text, it might drive you nuts.

I wouldn't know what to type him from his writing. He knows a very wide range of theory and spends a lot of time referencing others. At the same time he isn't too adjective wordy, just too drawn out. There are a lot of useless phrases that scholars might say that end up making sentences twice the length they should be. He tries to be poetic or maybe grand with his word flow.

He does seem quite introverted in most accounts I've seen of him. I'd be happy with INTP as first guess. ENTP might be my second guess, because photos of him remind me a little of Feynman.