• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christoph Waltz aka Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds

Lightyear

I have just watched Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds and am so stoked how much praise and recognition Christoph Waltz (Christoph Waltz) has received for playing the "Jew hunter" Hans Landa, basically he stole the show from Brad Pitt and everyone else in the movie. Waltz is quite well-known in German-speaking countries since he has played in a lot of TV movies and I remember having a crush on him in the 90s, and now suddenly he has risen to international fame simply by giving an absolutely outstanding performance! Whee!

I watched some of his interviews and am wondering what type he might be. He has said before that he is very private (that seems introverted to me) and in interviews he seems to question a lot, look behind the surface, to me he comes across as having a lot of Ni. I would guess he is an INxx.

Here are some videos:

Him receiving the Best Actor award at Cannes:

YouTube - christoph waltz (check out I.Huppert's reaction at 3:03) (note him speaking three languages!)

YouTube - Christoph Waltz

YouTube - Stupid For Movies: Inglourious Basterds interview with Christoph Waltz

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have just watched Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds and am so stoked how much praise and recognition Christoph Waltz (Christoph Waltz) has received for playing the "Jew hunter" Hans Landa, basically he stole the show from Brad Pitt and everyone else in the movie.

More than that, actually.
I personally think that the movie itself was OK at best, and Waltz was the only one who made it worth watching.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bad guys always make or break a movie: Have you ever noticed that?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
enfj? possibly entj? but probably enfj?

his thought process shows him working on how to sell an angle at every step of the way. i think the character he played leaned towards entj but was an obvious hybrid between the actor himself and the style of the character as written. for tarantino, every villain should have some serious Fe style.

Lightyear

enfj? possibly entj? but probably enfj?

his thought process shows him working on how to sell an angle at every step of the way. i think the character he played leaned towards entj but was an obvious hybrid between the actor himself and the style of the character as written. for tarantino, every villain should have some serious Fe style.

Not sure about the extrovert. In some German interviews (because of the language barrier I can't really share them here) he talked about how private he is and he also had a 30 year acting career in Germany but is still not even a household name in Germany though people will recognise his face. That all points for me to someone who shuns publicity, I think for him it is really all about honing his craft (while still being able to pay the bills), he isn't someone who would be in all the papers unless something like Inglourious Basterds comes along (and again in this case he got all the attention for his acting and nothing else).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure about the extrovert. In some German interviews (because of the language barrier I can't really share them here) he talked about how private he is and he also had a 30 year acting career in Germany but is still not even a household name in Germany though people will recognise his face. That all points for me to someone who shuns publicity, I think for him it is really all about honing his craft (while still being able to pay the bills), he isn't someone who would be in all the papers unless something like Inglourious Basterds comes along (and again in this case he got all the attention for his acting and nothing else).

judging by the youtube interviews he seems to say a lot of things.

i don't know how he could be anything but an Fe dominant. he seems like he could say he's very private, but meanwhile he's trying to sell you his take/himself so aggressively. he seems like he'd have the classic enfj wall underneath. he wants to make you go gaga over him sooooo badly. he seems so image-conscious (possibly a 3w4?).

and obviously not all enfjs are like this at all, but he seems like a villain to me. his craft is not acting, his craft is Fe manipulation (which is one of the many forms of acting) and image-control. he's the perfect tarantino character, he's great in the film bc he's the perfect fit for tarantino's villain style. tarantino loves Fe on crack, but with N ideas and N style. it gets amplified so monstrously, hence the awesomeness. he wants to make the audience identify with the face of evil and the lust for violence, bc he's kind of a huge prick. no no, i may be the most monstrous of all, but let me tell you my side of the story, let me show you i am in fact more human, more elegant, more beautiful than you. you cannot resist my style, you cannot completely say no to me.

classic entp trickster desire to fuck with people, esp 7w8 like quentin tarantino, whose functions are something like Ne Ti Ti Ti Ti Ti Si Fe. Fe is just strong enough to pick up what will piss off people the most and then give it the qt treatment/bombast.

Lightyear

Okay after Christoph Waltz got his very well-deserved Oscar on Sunday :moonwalk: let's try to type him again.

Here is his interview on Jay Leno immediately following the win:

YouTube - Christoph Waltz on The Tonight Show - 03/09/2010

He has been described as very intelligent, polite, friendly but still a bit reserved and the kind of person that all the ladies on a movie set would fall in love with.

I still think that he is an introvert for reasons mentioned in the posts above. Even if he seems to be very much of a charmer firstly he is in a great place in his life now (after 30 years in the acting wilderness he is suddenly at the top of his game) so of course he comes across as very happy and smiley and secondly there is still the fact that even a lot of German-speakers didn't know about him until something as massive as the Oscars came along, simply because he has always kept in the background, done his job very well and didn't court unnecessary publicity.

He seems very N to me, questioning, pondering, always trying to go deeper. This more-in-depth interview on Charlie Rose is very interesting, listen for example to his thoughts about the meaning of language starting at 6:42:

YouTube - Christoph Waltz on Charlie Rose (Part 1)

Watching him interact with other nominated actors at the Actors Roundtable is also quite interesting, especially when he finally says something at 1:53:

YouTube - Actors Roundtable (Part 1): "Is Acting Art?"

I would say INFJ or INTJ. Can't really explain why I don't think he is a P, maybe because he seems in his own way very focussed instead of having crazy Ne that would make him jump all over the place.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't know if this makes sense and i could be off about the enneagram, but entj 3w4? sx/sp? possibly a 6w5?

Lightyear

i don't know if this makes sense and i could be off about the enneagram, but entj 3w4? sx/sp? possibly a 6w5?

What makes you think E and what makes you think T?

I am not that knowledgable about Enneagram but why did you pick the above types for him?