User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Default MBTI of stock characters, archetypes, etc.

None of these types will be exact (Since even the most cliche stock characters will have differences.), but in general characters of this type would likely by just one letter off.

Cop Buddies: Using the stereotypical combination of an older, more experienced, more by the book character with a younger, more aggressive, more rule breaking one, the older one is ISTJ and younger one is ESTP.

The police chief who chews them out, plus other assorted other bureaucrats: ESTJ

The wise mentor: This will vary depending on the type of story the mentor is in, but some sort of I--J seems most likely. For sports movies, ISTJ, for fantasy movies, INFJ or INTJ, etc.

Serial Killers and other evil supervillains (muhahaha! And now, before I kill you...): INTJ

The worried wife (or girlfriend, sweetheart back home, etc.): ISFJ (I because they often end up as the stoic ones who silently and stoicly wait)

Evil high school popular girls: ESFJ probably, possibly ESFP (I haven't seen enough movies to really narrow it down.)

Evil high school popular boys: ESTP (the jocks)

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I am bad in this and you know it by seeing my list. I just filled in my first ideas.

The trickster ENTP
    Everyday Hero ESTP
    The Child ESFP
    Hooker with a heart of gold ISFP
    Archenemy INTJ
    Henchman ISTJ
    angsty teen INFP
    The Absent-minded professor INTP
    The Mad Scientist ENTP
    Girl Next door ESFP
    Geek INTP
    The redshirt ISTJ
    Office lady ESTJ
    Fallen hero INFP
    Gunslinger ESTP
    Competent man ENTJ
    Wise old man INFJ
    Epic Hero ENFJ
    The rebel INFP
    Town drunk ESFP
    Technician ISTP
    Accountant ISTJ
    Reluctant hero ISTP
    The comedic sidekick ESFP
    Supersoldier ISTP
    Antihero ISFP
    Confidant INFP
    Outlaw ISFJ
    Femme Fatale ENFJ
    Last edited by UnitOfPopulation; 10-30-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I am bad in this and you know it by seeing my list. I just filled in my first ideas.
    Geek INTP
    I forgot one i was going to include before:

Super hacker: INTP

MBTI
    Pfft

You can probably match any literary archetype with any MBTI archetype. Less likely matches will require a little bit of exposition for the character but will almost certainly add at least an illusion of depth.

Super hacker: ESFJ

All the information was there. It was right there. Undeniably cracked and delivered from an inexplicably operative mainframe with an open and available data terminal, "Whoa, whoa, whoa... where the hell did you learn to do that, Mandy?"

Mandy gracefully swiveled her chair and stood up. She smoothed her skirt, and beamed a ten gigawatt smile, "Well, there I was, a sophomore in college and working on finishing off the last of my required courses before wrapping myself entirely in the bliss of the communications program. Luckily, the Fates intervened," she trailed her fingers above her heart and paused for a tight-lipped smirk. The next words tumbled out more slowly and increased in tempo to an all-out-gush, "There... was... this boy, a freshman, but older. I don't know what it was, but I wanted everything to do with him. He was a sloppy dresser, a lousy kisser, and all my girlfriends hated him. In my heart, I had switched majors right then, but it wasn't until the next semester, after I dumped him, that..."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rhu View Post
    You can probably match any literary archetype with any MBTI archetype. Less likely matches will require a little bit of exposition for the character but will almost certainly add at least an illusion of depth.
    The idea of the thread is that certain stock characters, just based on the stock character traits, will fit very closely into certain MBTI types, which are the ones that are written out in the posts above.

If someone did come up with the "ESFJ" hacker, it would, as you said, probably produce a new and different appearing character, though given how hacker characters are usually written, this is quite unlikely.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    If someone did come up with the "ESFJ" hacker, it would, as you said, probably produce a new and different appearing character, though given how hacker characters are usually written, this is quite unlikely.
    What about that brief spate in the mid to late 90s where hackers were portrayed as a secret underground movement of super-rad iconoclasts with great bodies and a propensity for wearing revealing clothing?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    What about that brief spate in the mid to late 90s where hackers were portrayed as a secret underground movement of super-rad iconoclasts with great bodies and a propensity for wearing revealing clothing?
    I haven't seen those, though in that case, if that character type was in a lot of movies or other stories, I would probably think of them as a different stock character and go with some other typing.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Default List of Archtypes

I’ll post some more of these later on but for now, here’s what I have:

The Absent Minded Professor: INTP, (Doc Brown of the Back to the Future movie trilogy)
    -Typically an intellectually superior old man with humorous mediocrity in both social communication and common sense as a whole. As implied, the absent minded professor tends towards a complete disregard for occupations of reality and is rarely depicted as having a traditional job, never even mind something outside of their field of science. The absent minded professor is both creative and ingenious in his devices though rarely takes up roles as a leader.

The Evil Genius/Mastermind: INTJ, (Gendo Ikari of Evangelion)
    -Usually depicted as the villain, or an intelligent person who has used their gift in the service of evil. The Evil Mastermind is pragmatic, introverted, and disturbingly insensitive to the emotions of others, up to and including the world at large. Typical statements such as, “You have all fallen into my master plan”, or other such remarks involving their strategy are common. After the moment in which their success seems inevitable, the Evil Mastermind is typically outdone by their arrogance and underestimation of the main character’s abilities

The Western Gunman: ISFJ, (Any of John Wayne's Roles)
    -Usually features a strong, silent older man who either wanders from place to place or is seen as an outcast within their present town. Said outcast is in truth a highly skilled gunman with strong, conservative morals and honorary practices, often stated at the end, either concretely or subtlety to be the final reference to a past era of honorable men. This type tends to be paralleled in samurai flicks though the F may be swapped with a T

The Workaholic: ESTJ, (Richard from the movie Little Miss Sunshine)
    -A stock character in several movie and TV dramas, the workaholic is a business man so completely enamored with his work to the exclusion of everyone he loves. He will often quote statements about on-the-job ethics and subscribe to a manufactured code of success of which he has a hand in enduring. The Workaholic persists through a socially dysfunctional life plagued with divorce, lack of romance or a host of other negative occurrences, of whose issues will only be addressed at the end of the work, when he realizes the value of family and personal commitment

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Questor (INFP)
    Inspirational teacher (ENFJ)
    Panicky preacher (INFP)
    Psychiatrist (INTP)
    Fool/Joker (ESFP)
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    ENFP

There are no ENFP on any of the above lists...
    Likes Alassea liked this post