User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Michelle Pfeiffer's type

Contrary to my usual policy, I'm not going to throw out my tentative typing here in the OP. (That way, it'll be easier for me to approach your arguments objectively and realize I'm wrong. )

Inside the Actor's Studio

Some typing highlights: She says she was a clever student who meshed well with the 'strange' drama kids. ("I guess I realized that I was strange as well.") She also says she isn't naturally funny and has to work at doing comedy and that she really dislikes improvisation. If she was not an actress she would want to be a psychiatrist or a painter and not an accountant.
    Last edited by Economica; 10-30-2007 at 09:15 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I was going to go for ISTJ or INTJ based off the fact that she gives off a cold/distant personality but one that gives the impression of depth below the surface.

I would guess INTJ but I feel like i've been guessing that too often with female actors lately.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

A couple of quotes:

I like being prepared. When things are going on and I have to learn my lines at the last minute, I'm never quite secure enough to allow it to be spontaneous. So the more prepared I am, the more I'm able to kind of let it go...
    I'm a perfectionist, so I can drive myself mad - and other people, too. At the same time, I think that's one of the reasons I'm successful. Because I really care about what I do.
    I think people see me as a little icy. Maybe because I'm shy, and people think I'm reserved. ... I don't go anywhere unless I really have to. I just don't like crowds.
    Also: Written interview

GF: I want to talk to you about this. In some of your early movies you were cast as much for your looks as your abilities. Latterly, in films like The Russia House and Frankie and Johnny, you've played women who clearly aren't there as objects. Susie in The Fabulous Baker Boys and Countess Olenska in The Age of Innocence are objects of desire, but they're much more resilient than the men who desire them.

MP: Sometimes, though, by playing an object you can actually say more about objectifying women than if you play somebody of strength. I felt that Elvira in Scarface was a complete object. She was a hood ornament, like another Rolls-Royce or something, for both of the men that she was with. I felt that by playing something that mirrors someone's life in that way, I could make a kind of feminist statement. It depends on the way in which it's presented. If you're glamorizing or glorifying it, then I object to that.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've always considered her an INFx type ... and outwardly she's always been composed and structured, which would suggest INFJ to me.

I am not entirely sure on that, since INFPs with a developed Te can also be very perfectionist [or I suppose can just be badly perfectionist if their Te is NOT developed... ] in how they structure their world and accomplish tasks.

But the "otherworldly" aura she's constantly projected is one notable flag for INFJ. She would have been my second pick for Galadriel in LotR, if Cate Blanchett had not been cast (and I think she did play Titania in A Midsummer Night's Dream, didn't she?)

The IxxJ factors seems very obvious in the text you've offered.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I've always considered her an INFx type ... and outwardly she's always been composed and structured, which would suggest INFJ to me.

I am not entirely sure on that, since INFPs with a developed Te can also be very perfectionist [or I suppose can just be badly perfectionist if their Te is NOT developed... ] in how they structure their world and accomplish tasks.

But the "otherworldly" aura she's constantly projected is one notable flag for INFJ. She would have been my second pick for Galadriel in LotR, if Cate Blanchett had not been cast (and I think she did play Titania in A Midsummer Night's Dream, didn't she?)

The IxxJ factors seems very obvious in the text you've offered.
    My guesses were ISTJ or INTJ. I can't possibly see her as an ISFJ, so can you explain the difference between teh "coldness" of an IxTJ and an INFJ? I don't know any IRL to frame my reference off of.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    My guesses were ISTJ or INTJ. I can't possibly see her as an ISFJ, so can you explain the difference between teh "coldness" of an IxTJ and an INFJ? I don't know any IRL to frame my reference off of.
    I'm thinking of my two female INFJ friends when I write this...not of myself, because I can't possibly know how I come across to people without watching myself!

I'm going to throw it out there that INFJ would appear cold in a cautious/careful/withdrawn/'testing the waters'/observant sense, whereas IxTJ would be more...in-your-face, less tact, not hiding much 'cold'? I don't know that I know any INTJ's in real life, so can't speak for them, but I'm fairly confident my mom is an ISTJ, and she just blurts out some of her opinions without seeming to think about how it might make the other person feel; whereas INFJ's are always careful about what they say.

I don't think INFJ's are the type to really draw another person in..i.e. not effusing with warmth and emotion. One person I dated, upon meeting one of these friends, found her incredibly cold, difficult to talk to, and he didn't particularly like her. She gives other people this vibe as well. She almost might appear snobbish to others, because of her quietness and being so careful in how she talks to people at first meeting. Knowing her, she's far from this. And, I know she is aware she gives this impression, so she's consciously trying to work on it.

My other friend doesn't come across nearly as 'cold' as the first, but she definitely isn't 'warm'. Again, more carefully chosen words, 'detached' isn't exactly the right word for it, but you definitely don't detect much emotion at first meeting.

Actually I think ones first impression of INFJ is that they're a T -- because the emotion/feeling side is controlled, and not visible on the surface. My 2 friends are also quite logical/analytical...I think this also makes it easy to think they're a 'T'. So they'll often speak in analytical terms, but the subject matters they're analyzing are usually themselves, their relationships, or other people. (also for what it's worth - one of these women is an electrical engineer - so she can hold her own with the T's. :-)

MBTI
    INTJ

Based on my woefully inadequate sample size of 1 (close male friend and former employer) and a half (female acquaintance), I have to say I agree with cascademn's description. The male friend is extremely sensitive on the inside but comes off colder and more abrasive than I do. I figure it's overcompensation (for him, that is - my warm and considerate demeanor is quite sincere ).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Based on my woefully inadequate sample size of 1 (close male friend and former employer) and a half (female acquaintance), I have to say I agree with cascademn's description. The male friend is extremely sensitive on the inside but comes off colder and more abrasive than I do. I figure it's overcompensation (for him, that is - my warm and considerate demeanor is quite sincere ).
    so then maybe some INTJs I've been typing are really INFJs? Huh!
    C.S. Lewis

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I watched the 1-hr "Inside the Actor's Studio Video", and read her bio's/quotes on IMBD and Wikipedia. After taking it all in I think she is probably an ISTJ or maybe ISFJ. I think that she is a very intelligent ISTJ, since she graduated high school in 3 years, and she said that she liked to skip most of her classes but still found them to be very easy.

I think first Economica's three quotes in post 3 illustrate why she is both an I and J. I don't have a strong sense of whether she is T or F, but since she comes across as a bit cold toward people I think she is probably a T. Here is another quote which makes me thing she is a T:

In an August 2006 In Style interview (her first in many years), Pfeiffer discussed her return to making movies, stating that she is "a better mother if I also work... It empowers them [her children] without me hovering, making everyone feel inadequate".
    As for S/N, I don't see any behavior at all that shows up on my N radar. For some celebrities, like Robin Williams, it's easy to see in interviews, because he has rampant uncontrollable Ne. Other N celebrities (especially NF's) might become prominent activists of some sort like Bono. Bill Cosby and Morgan Freeman were on "The Electric Company" for several years, which to me says they are good candidates for NF's since they were willing to do a kids PBS show instead of something that would further their careers. Or Steve Martin, for example, has been involved in stand-up comedy, acting, writing, directing, for both stage and screen. (I think he wrote a book too). He's done such a variety of things that I think, "Hey he's probably an N". Usually when a celebrity has had a long successful career, then if they are an N, it will show. It will be obvious, because they will do something that signifies that they are an N.

Michelle Pfeiffer on the other hand doesn't seem to exhibit any type of outstanding or obvious N behavior. If you are an N reading this, then just stop and imagine something for a minute. Imagine that you have all the wealth, fame, and beauty that a person could ever hope for. What would you do? In other words if you literally had the resources to do anything, then what would you do? For most N's it will not take too long to start imagining quite a few different things that they would do, even if they already enjoy what they are doing now. On the other hand an S that is already enjoying what they do for a living will probably keep doing the same thing. In general N's desire change much more than S's do. (Actually I could even imagine an S going out and trying new things, but I can't imagine an N doing absolutely nothing given the option to do otherwise.)

Now if you look at Michelle Pfeiffer, she does have the resources that she could do anything that she wants. And what she does is continue to be an actress. She's clearly an S. Also I know people hate my "acting style" theory, but she favors an S acting style over an N one. (Although she doesn't strongly favor either style.) Everything I've learned about her tells me she is an S. She's a very intelligent S, but still an S. So I think her type is ISTJ.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Thanks for checking her out, TLL.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Now if you look at Michelle Pfeiffer, she does have the resources that she could do anything that she wants. And what she does is continue to be an actress. She's clearly an S.
    Are you serious? Wait, that was rhetorical, I know you are.

I'm going to use my on cascademn again before proceeding any further.