• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Michelle Pfeiffer's type

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Contrary to my usual policy, I'm not going to throw out my tentative typing here in the OP. (That way, it'll be easier for me to approach your arguments objectively and realize I'm wrong. :rolleyes:)

Inside the Actor's Studio

Some typing highlights: She says she was a clever student who meshed well with the 'strange' drama kids. ("I guess I realized that I was strange as well.") She also says she isn't naturally funny and has to work at doing comedy and that she really dislikes improvisation. If she was not an actress she would want to be a psychiatrist or a painter and not an accountant.

Last edited:

Usehername

On a mission
I was going to go for ISTJ or INTJ based off the fact that she gives off a cold/distant personality but one that gives the impression of depth below the surface.

I would guess INTJ but I feel like i've been guessing that too often with female actors lately.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
A couple of quotes:

I like being prepared. When things are going on and I have to learn my lines at the last minute, I'm never quite secure enough to allow it to be spontaneous. So the more prepared I am, the more I'm able to kind of let it go...

I'm a perfectionist, so I can drive myself mad - and other people, too. At the same time, I think that's one of the reasons I'm successful. Because I really care about what I do.

I think people see me as a little icy. Maybe because I'm shy, and people think I'm reserved. ... I don't go anywhere unless I really have to. I just don't like crowds.

Also: Written interview

GF: I want to talk to you about this. In some of your early movies you were cast as much for your looks as your abilities. Latterly, in films like The Russia House and Frankie and Johnny, you've played women who clearly aren't there as objects. Susie in The Fabulous Baker Boys and Countess Olenska in The Age of Innocence are objects of desire, but they're much more resilient than the men who desire them.

MP: Sometimes, though, by playing an object you can actually say more about objectifying women than if you play somebody of strength. I felt that Elvira in Scarface was a complete object. She was a hood ornament, like another Rolls-Royce or something, for both of the men that she was with. I felt that by playing something that mirrors someone's life in that way, I could make a kind of feminist statement. It depends on the way in which it's presented. If you're glamorizing or glorifying it, then I object to that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always considered her an INFx type ... and outwardly she's always been composed and structured, which would suggest INFJ to me.

I am not entirely sure on that, since INFPs with a developed Te can also be very perfectionist [or I suppose can just be badly perfectionist if their Te is NOT developed... :) ] in how they structure their world and accomplish tasks.

But the "otherworldly" aura she's constantly projected is one notable flag for INFJ. She would have been my second pick for Galadriel in LotR, if Cate Blanchett had not been cast (and I think she did play Titania in A Midsummer Night's Dream, didn't she?)

The IxxJ factors seems very obvious in the text you've offered.

Usehername

On a mission
I've always considered her an INFx type ... and outwardly she's always been composed and structured, which would suggest INFJ to me.

I am not entirely sure on that, since INFPs with a developed Te can also be very perfectionist [or I suppose can just be badly perfectionist if their Te is NOT developed... :) ] in how they structure their world and accomplish tasks.

But the "otherworldly" aura she's constantly projected is one notable flag for INFJ. She would have been my second pick for Galadriel in LotR, if Cate Blanchett had not been cast (and I think she did play Titania in A Midsummer Night's Dream, didn't she?)

The IxxJ factors seems very obvious in the text you've offered.

My guesses were ISTJ or INTJ. I can't possibly see her as an ISFJ, so can you explain the difference between teh "coldness" of an IxTJ and an INFJ? I don't know any IRL to frame my reference off of.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My guesses were ISTJ or INTJ. I can't possibly see her as an ISFJ, so can you explain the difference between teh "coldness" of an IxTJ and an INFJ? I don't know any IRL to frame my reference off of.

I'm thinking of my two female INFJ friends when I write this...not of myself, because I can't possibly know how I come across to people without watching myself!

I'm going to throw it out there that INFJ would appear cold in a cautious/careful/withdrawn/'testing the waters'/observant sense, whereas IxTJ would be more...in-your-face, less tact, not hiding much 'cold'? I don't know that I know any INTJ's in real life, so can't speak for them, but I'm fairly confident my mom is an ISTJ, and she just blurts out some of her opinions without seeming to think about how it might make the other person feel; whereas INFJ's are always careful about what they say.

I don't think INFJ's are the type to really draw another person in..i.e. not effusing with warmth and emotion. One person I dated, upon meeting one of these friends, found her incredibly cold, difficult to talk to, and he didn't particularly like her. She gives other people this vibe as well. She almost might appear snobbish to others, because of her quietness and being so careful in how she talks to people at first meeting. Knowing her, she's far from this. And, I know she is aware she gives this impression, so she's consciously trying to work on it.

My other friend doesn't come across nearly as 'cold' as the first, but she definitely isn't 'warm'. Again, more carefully chosen words, 'detached' isn't exactly the right word for it, but you definitely don't detect much emotion at first meeting.

Actually I think ones first impression of INFJ is that they're a T -- because the emotion/feeling side is controlled, and not visible on the surface. My 2 friends are also quite logical/analytical...I think this also makes it easy to think they're a 'T'. So they'll often speak in analytical terms, but the subject matters they're analyzing are usually themselves, their relationships, or other people. (also for what it's worth - one of these women is an electrical engineer - so she can hold her own with the T's. :)

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Based on my woefully inadequate sample size of 1 (close male friend and former employer) and a half (female acquaintance), I have to say I agree with cascademn's description. The male friend is extremely sensitive on the inside but comes off colder and more abrasive than I do. I figure it's overcompensation (for him, that is ;) - my warm and considerate demeanor is quite sincere :yes:).

Usehername

On a mission
Based on my woefully inadequate sample size of 1 (close male friend and former employer) and a half (female acquaintance), I have to say I agree with cascademn's description. The male friend is extremely sensitive on the inside but comes off colder and more abrasive than I do. I figure it's overcompensation (for him, that is ;) - my warm and considerate demeanor is quite sincere :yes:).

so then maybe some INTJs I've been typing are really INFJs? Huh!

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I watched the 1-hr "Inside the Actor's Studio Video", and read her bio's/quotes on IMBD and Wikipedia. After taking it all in I think she is probably an ISTJ or maybe ISFJ. I think that she is a very intelligent ISTJ, since she graduated high school in 3 years, and she said that she liked to skip most of her classes but still found them to be very easy.

I think first Economica's three quotes in post 3 illustrate why she is both an I and J. I don't have a strong sense of whether she is T or F, but since she comes across as a bit cold toward people I think she is probably a T. Here is another quote which makes me thing she is a T:

In an August 2006 In Style interview (her first in many years), Pfeiffer discussed her return to making movies, stating that she is "a better mother if I also work... It empowers them [her children] without me hovering, making everyone feel inadequate".

As for S/N, I don't see any behavior at all that shows up on my N radar. For some celebrities, like Robin Williams, it's easy to see in interviews, because he has rampant uncontrollable Ne. Other N celebrities (especially NF's) might become prominent activists of some sort like Bono. Bill Cosby and Morgan Freeman were on "The Electric Company" for several years, which to me says they are good candidates for NF's since they were willing to do a kids PBS show instead of something that would further their careers. Or Steve Martin, for example, has been involved in stand-up comedy, acting, writing, directing, for both stage and screen. (I think he wrote a book too). He's done such a variety of things that I think, "Hey he's probably an N". Usually when a celebrity has had a long successful career, then if they are an N, it will show. It will be obvious, because they will do something that signifies that they are an N.

Michelle Pfeiffer on the other hand doesn't seem to exhibit any type of outstanding or obvious N behavior. If you are an N reading this, then just stop and imagine something for a minute. Imagine that you have all the wealth, fame, and beauty that a person could ever hope for. What would you do? In other words if you literally had the resources to do anything, then what would you do? For most N's it will not take too long to start imagining quite a few different things that they would do, even if they already enjoy what they are doing now. On the other hand an S that is already enjoying what they do for a living will probably keep doing the same thing. In general N's desire change much more than S's do. (Actually I could even imagine an S going out and trying new things, but I can't imagine an N doing absolutely nothing given the option to do otherwise.)

Now if you look at Michelle Pfeiffer, she does have the resources that she could do anything that she wants. And what she does is continue to be an actress. She's clearly an S. Also I know people hate my "acting style" theory, but she favors an S acting style over an N one. (Although she doesn't strongly favor either style.) Everything I've learned about her tells me she is an S. She's a very intelligent S, but still an S. So I think her type is ISTJ.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thanks for checking her out, TLL. :)

Now if you look at Michelle Pfeiffer, she does have the resources that she could do anything that she wants. And what she does is continue to be an actress. She's clearly an S.

:huh: Are you serious? Wait, that was rhetorical, I know you are. :doh:

I'm going to use my :puppy_dog_eyes: on cascademn again before proceeding any further. :)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks for checking her out, TLL. :)

:huh: Are you serious? Wait, that was rhetorical, I know you are. :doh:

I'm going to use my :puppy_dog_eyes: on cascademn again before proceeding any further. :)

How do you tell the difference between an S and an N? Wouldn't you agree that one distinguishing characteristic of N's is that they desire change much more than S's? (especially SJ's)

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Wouldn't you agree that one distinguishing characteristic of N's is that they desire change much more than S's? (especially SJ's)

Not to the degree where Michelle Pfeiffer must be an S because she has remained an actress without venturing into other (professional) pursuits, no. I am by no means irrevokably convinced of her N but I definitely need better arguments for S. :yes:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure how to type someone as S, other than I conclude that they are definitely not N. This is because N type thinking is what I am most familiar with. What types of characteristics do you look for in an S?

Usehername

On a mission
How do you tell the difference between an S and an N? Wouldn't you agree that one distinguishing characteristic of N's is that they desire change much more than S's? (especially SJ's)

what about SPs, though? they are the types of all the types to desire change, no?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
what about SPs, though? they are the types of all the types to desire change, no?

SP's are adaptable, but they don't really seek change. They are simply ready to adapt to change when necessary. Most of the SP's I know are fairly content to keep doing the same types of things that they always do. (I'm talking about adults here. SP's as teens will seem to try just about anything.) SP's like to enjoy the sensations of life. Once they know what they enjoy, then they will keep doing those things.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been called??? :blush: :D Really...I think you expect too much of me!! :shock: haha.

I watched much of the Inside the Actors Studio clips, and I guess I didn't see her as a 'T'. I almost feel like people think Introverted feelers will be as emotional/'warm' as Extroverted feelers?? When the manner of expression is actually quite different...it's like a much 'quieter' and softer expression of feeling..not overt or exuberant. More controlled, for both the INFJ's and the ISFJ that I know. Again, at least until you get to know them well, and assuming they're being natural and aren't acting more extroverted than they really are. I didn't think Michelle was 'cold', I guess! :) My impression of her was that she was: personable, poised, articulate, and seemed to have very good interpersonal skills, and could really navigate through conversation well, and expressed herself well. I think this could be ISFJ or INFJ. I guess I don't really see ISTJ displaying all of those interpersonal skills so smoothly? And I'm also having a hard time seeing a lot of 'T' qualities in her manner of expression, and what she's expressing. [Or perhaps I'm the only one viewing her in this light. :)]

I'm not sure though about the N or S. I agree she has a sort of ethereal aura, especially when she's really thinking about something...but she also doesn't seem like she's holding back as much as an INFJ. So, I end this with: IxFJ. :)

Oh - and as for 'variety of interests/pursuits' = N, I don't think I agree with that. I think there are a lot of N's who become incredibly focused/absorbed in just one interest (I'm thinking more of the academic types). Also, Michelle could very well be a woman who doesn't want to outwardly display all of her interests, and is pursuing more personal hobbies, vs. causes. She mentioned the oil painting/psychiatry interests, and she mentioned how she loves woodworking and building things. [And by the way -- my INFJ friend is quite adept at building things - more so than her husband - and she sews her own clothing and even made an upholstered mini chaise-lounge for her dog :)...so sensory activities don't have to equate to S-types only.]

Edit: ARG, I've been thinking about this almost nonstop for almost an hour.:doh: The more I think about it, the less satisfied I am with ISFJ, because Michelle didn't seem driven to express minute details of everything, like my ISFJ friend does. Michelle seemed to be much more generalized in some of the things she was saying - painting with a broader stroke (which is what I really think the 'ethereal thing' is- so now I'm leaning more towards INFJ. :) One who was extremely comfortable in her interview setting.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've been called??? :blush: :D Really...I think you expect too much of me!! :shock: haha.

I watched much of the Inside the Actors Studio clips, and I guess I didn't see her as a 'T'. I almost feel like people think Introverted feelers will be as emotional/'warm' as Extroverted feelers?? When the manner of expression is actually quite different...it's like a much 'quieter' and softer expression of feeling..not overt or exuberant. More controlled, for both the INFJ's and the ISFJ that I know. Again, at least until you get to know them well, and assuming they're being natural and aren't acting more extroverted than they really are. I didn't think Michelle was 'cold', I guess! :) My impression of her was that she was: personable, poised, articulate, and seemed to have very good interpersonal skills, and could really navigate through conversation well, and expressed herself well. I think this could be ISFJ or INFJ. I guess I don't really see ISTJ displaying all of those interpersonal skills so smoothly? And I'm also having a hard time seeing a lot of 'T' qualities in her manner of expression, and what she's expressing. [Or perhaps I'm the only one viewing her in this light. :)]

I'm not sure though about the N or S. I agree she has a sort of ethereal aura, especially when she's really thinking about something...but she also doesn't seem like she's holding back as much as an INFJ. So, I end this with: IxFJ. :)

I could see her being ISFJ. As I've said before I didn't have a strong feeling as to whether she was T or F, but I was leaning T. I don't see ISFJ as an unreasonable type for her though. :)

Although I have to say that when it comes to typing INFJ's by their appearance, they are the hardest to type. There is no consistent way that INFJ's act. I only know two people who are INFJ's and neither really fits your description. In fact my wife often looks the opposite. She is very warm and exuberant. You'd think she was an ESFP until you got to know her. The other INFJ I know comes across as more of an ESFJ or maybe ESTJ. Again I had no idea that she is INFJ until she told me.

(I'm not really a big fan of the "ethereal aura" some people talk about for N's either since ISFP's, for example, can easily give this impression.)

Oh - and as for 'variety of interests/pursuits' = N, I don't think I agree with that. I think there are a lot of N's who become incredibly focused/absorbed in just one interest (I'm thinking more of the academic types). Also, Michelle could very well be a woman who doesn't want to outwardly display all of her interests, and is pursuing more personal hobbies, vs. causes. She mentioned the oil painting/psychiatry interests, and she mentioned how she loves woodworking and building things. [And by the way -- my INFJ friend is quite adept at building things - more so than her husband - and she sews her own clothing and even made an upholstered mini chaise-lounge for her dog :)...so sensory activities don't have to equate to S-types only.]

No I don't think that N's must have a variety of interests (although if you see this in someone then they are probably an N of some sort). Rather I'm vaguely saying that N's seek change. Academic types for example are often doing research into previously unexplored areas. That is a type of change in itself, a change of the conventional knowledge.

In Michelle's case if she does have a wide variety of hobbies, then it's not something that really shows. From what I have seen of her she is an S. She might be an N and just hiding it really well. On the other hand I am pretty reluctant to type someone as an N without sufficient evidence. My default for typing celebrities is S unless they show some definite sign of being an N. If you just judged Hollywood by the threads on this forum you'd guess that 3/4 of celebrities are N's, and half of those are INFJ's. :D From what I can tell a lot of other people seem to use N as the default and then consider someone an S as an afterthought. :rolli:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, those are good points about N's and INFJ's. I agree INFJ's would be hard to type, because they can change depending on the setting, as well as their mood - whether they're really confident and comfortable, or whether they're outside of their comfort zone and really in a hermit-like state. :)

The only times I think my friends and I could appear ES would be in a job interview, or when we were drunk. :) But otherwise, in social settings, I think the N always shines through. Somehow we're always 'different'. So as far as appearing vastly different than INFJ - I guess in normal, everyday life, my friends and myself aren't like this. Mistaken for INTJ? Perhaps. ENFJ, maybe. But we are definitely like how I posted we were in my first post in this thread. But anyway...this is obviously just my own experience with 3 INFJ's that I know, and it really doesn't make sense to paint this across every single other INFJ out there. (I'm just the only one posting here...eek!).

So - I definitely agree INFJ's aren't easy to type, but I do think there are a lot of rather consistent behavioral traits across the board, even if of course there are individual differences.

I see your point on defaulting to S until proven otherwise. I guess for me, I tend to view N as more someone who 'speaks another language', or is on a different wavelength, from your average Joe. Just someone who might not be understood by the majority. I'm broadly generalizing, but you know, a lot of N's feel misunderstood and disassociated from most people, whereas I don't think S's feel that way.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Another interview! Part 1, Part 2

In part 1, note the banter about tools and also her analogy between her work and her private life and the separation of church and state. Flags for N, methinks...?

Incidentally, TLL, have you and ladypinkington seen Dangerous Liaisons? In it MP plays to perfection an INFJ who is seduced by an ENTP (played by John Malkovich). :yes:

Also, the thing about her having been a clever student who skipped school and knew how to get good grades without putting in any effort - is that compatible with ISXJ?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, those are good points about N's and INFJ's. I agree INFJ's would be hard to type, because they can change depending on the setting, as well as their mood - whether they're really confident and comfortable, or whether they're outside of their comfort zone and really in a hermit-like state. :)

The only times I think my friends and I could appear ES would be in a job interview, or when we were drunk. :) But otherwise, in social settings, I think the N always shines through. Somehow we're always 'different'. So as far as appearing vastly different than INFJ - I guess in normal, everyday life, my friends and myself aren't like this. Mistaken for INTJ? Perhaps. ENFJ, maybe. But we are definitely like how I posted we were in my first post in this thread. But anyway...this is obviously just my own experience with 3 INFJ's that I know, and it really doesn't make sense to paint this across every single other INFJ out there. (I'm just the only one posting here...eek!).

So - I definitely agree INFJ's aren't easy to type, but I do think there are a lot of rather consistent behavioral traits across the board, even if of course there are individual differences.

I don't think you are going to find consistent behavioral traits from an INFJ unless you get to know them really well. One consistant trait of INFJ's is that they tend to be private and difficult to know well. That means to everyone else they will probably appear as another type, and you won't get to know that they are an INFJ unless you are a close friend, or at least trust you enough to open up a bit.

Consider this quote. INFJ Profile
[INFJ's] are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world.

I'm not saying that all INFJ's appear as extroverts though. Rather that their behavior is not conisistent from one INFJ to the next.

I think a better way to describe this part of the INFJ comes from Kiersey. Keirsey Temperament Website: The 4 Temperaments
...friends who have known a [INFJ] for years may find sides emerging which come as a surprise. Not that they are inconsistent; Counselors value their integrity a great deal, but they have intricately woven, mysterious personalities which sometimes puzzle even them.

INFJ's are complex, and hard to get to know. Their behavior can look quite different from one INFJ to the next. That is why they are so hard to type.

I see your point on defaulting to S until proven otherwise. I guess for me, I tend to view N as more someone who 'speaks another language', or is on a different wavelength, from your average Joe. Just someone who might not be understood by the majority. I'm broadly generalizing, but you know, a lot of N's feel misunderstood and disassociated from most people, whereas I don't think S's feel that way.

Any person who has a significantly high IQ is going to feel this way as well. The high IQ makes them feel different than everyone else. If the person is also an introvert then that is going to make them feel even more misunderstood and disassociated from people in general. It is quite common for high IQ IS's to feel this way.