Thread: INFP Villains?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

JivinJeffJones, anyone?

Where there is capability for great good, there is capability for great evil, right? Maybe...?

Modern film and literature is obsessed with the romantic hero, the antihero, etc. Basically, most heroes must be flawed to be appealing. This is why INFP types are usually the "unlikely heroes" and not villains (and let's remember who is writing a lot of this stuff ).

Quote Originally Posted by Bougal View Post
    According to my brother, the talented Mr. Ripley is and INFP...
    I haven't read the books, but based on the movie, this is possible. I'd have to think more about it to type him though.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Ginkgo

Norman Bates from the movie Psycho? (His ego, not his alter ego).

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    JivinJeffJones, anyone?
    Basically, most heroes must be flawed to be appealing. This is why INFP types are usually the "unlikely heroes" and not villains (and let's remember who is writing a lot of this stuff ).
    I agree with the flawed thing. A perfect character is boring. But "flawed" does not mean introvert or anything. You can make a character of every type with flaws. That goes for both heroes and villains.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've heard some INFPs say that you go from good to evil extremes occasionally. I could see an INFP villian, just as well as I could see an INTJ hero (even if he/she would be the brooding, dark kind of hero )

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it (I'm too lazy to read past pages I guess), but the whole allure of the Sith was temptation by emotional extremes.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I think INFP's would make good villains seeing that they know where to hit people where it hurts, even if they don't every really do it, similar to how they spend all their time studying people and how they act thus they know how to induce delicious moral dilemmas with even the most self assured "good guys"

Also, INFP's tend to get all nihilistic/existential when they're down or dysfunctional which leads to "burn the world" which seems to be far more dangerous than your average power hungry villain.

I'm basing this on the period in my life that I was down and dysfunctional and wanted to burn things. But I had a puppy at the time, and everyone knows it's impossible to be truly evil when one is in the company of a baby animal

However I also think that INFP villains would be the kind to realise what they'd done and then try to undo the damage. And fail.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Danse_Macabre View Post
    I think INFP's would make good villains seeing that they know where to hit people where it hurts, even if they don't every really do it, similar to how they spend all their time studying people and how they act thus they know how to induce delicious moral dilemmas with even the most self assured "good guys"

Also, INFP's tend to get all nihilistic/existential when they're down or dysfunctional which leads to "burn the world" which seems to be far more dangerous than your average power hungry villain.
    This is why I think the Joker (TDK) is a dark-side NFP. Not sure about INFP or ENFP. The "you complete me" line suggests extrovert, but I think INFPs can be prone to electing an Enemy who symbolizes (or is idealized into) all they hate. Take Ahab and Moby Dick, for instance.

People keep saying he's an ENTP, but I think that's just because he's smart, funny and nasty. Values are what drives him though. Precisely how he came to be how he is we're not told.

The only real problem I have with this typing is the quite spectacular use of Ni he apparently shows. He's always at least one step ahead of everyone. This tension between his obvious foresight/planning and his self-description ("Do I really look like a guy with a plan? I'm like a dog chasing cars -- I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.") and avowed aim to show everyone how futile their attempts to control their lives are makes him a difficult character to type. But if people are fine with a planning joker being an ENTP then I don't see why they should have a problem with him being an XNFP.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

^It's very strange you say that, I completely agree that he's xNFP and I was thinking about that as I posted.

To me, he's the ultimate example of someone who had very strong principles and beliefs, but was let down once too often and gave up fighting for them and began to hate them. Very NFP-esque.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I really really really believe Iago from Othello is INFP.

I have nothing to justify this.
    Prejudice.
    So sad. Especially because some of your posts make sense.
    You made an error about the person in the office. You misjudged the type.
    Now you make a general rule of your error.

Miscalculation is an injury.
    To make it a general rule is an insult.

Evil does not type.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Evil does not type.
    Indeed. Reminds me of my former religion teacher. He introduced us to a typology consisting of three dichotomies: Emotional vs non-Emotional; Active vs non-Active and Primary vs Secundary. EAS was 'passionate' and nEnAS would be 'amorphous'. He said that there were good and bad examples of every type; only he discussed mostly 'passionates'...
    Really, who wants to be 'amorphous'?
    Even if you only use the letters, who wants to be non-Active?

That's why I prefer MBTI. ENTJ does not sound like a better or worse character than ISFP.

Maybe this would be an interesting exercise: try to find both good and evil characters of every type...

MBTI
    ISFJ

For the last time : Skywalker is an ENFP. If you've seen one under stress it's very easy to imagine his Te taking over and consuming him.

Quote Originally Posted by Danse_Macabre View Post
    ^It's very strange you say that, I completely agree that he's xNFP and I was thinking about that as I posted.

To me, he's the ultimate example of someone who had very strong principles and beliefs, but was let down once too often and gave up fighting for them and began to hate them. Very NFP-esque.
    I could see an NFP going nihilist after some sort of trauma and acquiring that new set of principles/beliefs as he/she tried to make sense out of the situation.