User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Do you think role-playing games are a N or S activity?

Ehm, I know this is a silly questions, but I don't know how to put it in a better way. Of course I do not mean to nail it down to saying "Ss like it, Ns don't".....I would just like to know if you think there might be a preference in either S or N types...

Permabanned

first person shooters = S RPGS = N

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Hahahaha, totally!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP

I thought this thread was going to be about role-playing in the bedroom.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The above comment isn't bad.

Usually N's really get into them because of all the abstracted aspects, but I've seen SPs into them because they're fun, they're not as much interested in the big-picture coherence in the gaming session and actions they choose -- totally different approach to adventuring between the two groups.

(SPs = most likely to smoke pot while playing, ha)

NFs seem to really enjoy the "acting" part of RPG and creating character storylines/relationships; NTs seem to be more into the world-building and mechanics.

I haven't known a lot of SJs to get into them, although you'll find an occasional ISTJ who will play a very specific character "by the book" or an ESTJ who likes to GM.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

My S family introduced me to it. I think it can go either way. My ESFP mom used to host games at her house all the time and we had the coolest dress up themed parties too. My ISTP step dad used to DM.

They also introduced me to fantasy and sci-fi oh my!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I started playing table-top RPGs in 2004 and still do to this day with a varied group of people:

I GM/DM 99% of the time and my players include:
    ENFP
    ISTP (ENFP's girlfriend, otherwise she wouldn't play on her own)
    ISTJ (ENFPs little brother)
    ENTP
    INFJ
    INFP (at least one, the other is speculative xNFP, but seems very I)

we've had some others which included another ISTP and an ISFP who is too far away at college.

It's quite a lot of fun but I've noticed some patterns as to why they play and what each of their focuses are on (despite whatever character they're playing). It goes like this:

INFP (me): I GM because it's a great creative outlet, and I'm quite a perfectionist at my design so I put quite a bit of effort into making the games feel immersive and deep (and whatever events take place in-game make sense). I love to build the world.
    ENFP: Very enthusiastic about the role-playing aspect of playing a character. He likes to create reasoning behind his character's goals and factors out his own interests as a player. This becomes a bit lost when he gets around the table and loses focus.
    ISTP: very shy, she's still a bit new. Changes the subject whenever it is required to role-play in character. Either she isn't comfortable in doing it or is unsure of her own character, she's gone over her character with ENFP but refuses to explain to the rest of the group. Likes the combat aspect of the game. Observer.
    ISTJ: Plays for the combat, plain and simple. He's been with us for about 3 years so he's getting better at playing a character. When he isn't stating what he is doing in game he is often playing around with his phone, figgity, or surfing the internet. Wants to run a zombie campaign.
    ENTP: Comes off as if he doesn't take the game seriously but when it comes down to it he is very inclined to interact with other NPCs to find out information, very inquisitive. Thoughtful. Funny.
    INFJ: I've known him before I could even walk so I get him pretty well. Seems to act as though he's uninterested, but deep down he is. Although he doesn't take it as seriously as ENFP and I. He's either in or out. When group size increases he tends to lose focus and not speak as much. Usually the one to get boned randomly by scary things in the dark.
    INFP: was very into playing really good characters. Cared a lot about money and power regardless of his role (although I think that's because he played WoW first). He typically had stereotypical background stories and such. Valued his opinion over the rest of the group. Metagamed quite a bit. He pissed me off a lot.
    The Other iNFP: very creative. Plays interesting characters. Quiet but smart. Wants to run his own games. I'm trying to encourage him to.
    ISFP: Very 'with the flow'. Enjoyed doing whatever, just wanted to play. But when it comes down to it he is about as inquisitive as ENTP. Always plays the black guy for some reason, lol.

From my experience, the Intuitives tend to think out the character aspect and role-playing of the game, seeking to discover or uncover mysteries. They are often playing out of curiosity. The Sensors tend to really like combat, and the statistical aspect of the game. The one ISTP who doesn't play with us anymore (only because ENFP is with his ex-fiance :| ) was really focused on realism and kicking ass. He zeroed in on combat details and never cared about what goals or personality his character had. Besides the ISFP, the other Sensors tended to play very 2 dimensional characters, whereas the Intuitives gave them at least a little thought.

Role-playing itself is very N. Unlike a video game, you don't have any computerized images or audio to go along with it. People who don't have a very developed N will not like this, even if they like RPGs.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Is that why fallout 3 is so popular?
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

MMORPGs are God's gift to NTs. A gift and a curse.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post
    Is that why fallout 3 is so popular?
    I guess but fallout 3 is awesome.