• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think role-playing games are a N or S activity?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Does World of Warcraft count? I was introduced to that game recently... Man, I can see why people have severe addiction problems to it.

I'm not a huge gamer but I've always just liked first-person shooters.

edit:
Are we talking like those old-school role-playing games, like D&D where you write down your traits and all that stuff? No appeal whatsoever. lol

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
RPGs (both on paper and on computer) are clearly for Ns.
MMOs are mostly for INs, though I don't like them.

And yeah, FPS' are mainly for the S folks (I wouldn't trade Deus Ex for anything btw).

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I appreciate both. I love FPS, far more than MMOs (actually, I quite dislike them). Probably because all the mmos I've played are shallow and revolve around what gear you possess and your statistics strictly. There's a different kind of depth and customization involved with table-top rpgs, and they're fun to play with a group of friends being right there around you.

I think I've repeated myself from earlier though.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I only play rpgs... there's something about the elaborate storyline and beautiful sceneries; it just kinda sucks you in.

But I love simulation games better :D the Sims does some very bad things to me...

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I personally think that INxPs are most likely to do the whole role-playing thing.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I would love to play pen and paper RPG's, but alas, I don't know anyone (anyone who is bearable to be around) that plays them.

I used to make characters with a character creator program juuust in case. I spent hours crafting them.

I like video game RPG's like Fable, WOW and Oblivion. But I didn't like Fall Out 3.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tried a pen-and-paper RPG game once and it was nearly physically painful, I was so bored. I was fairly open to it too, I thought it would be way more fun than it was! I don't understand the appeal at all now.

I play a mmorpg fairlyfrequently right now (warhammer online) , I'm a little addicted...but I have zero interest in the storyline or role-playng with people. It's a lot more focused on strategy than other MMO's I've seen though, which I like.

So...the heavy role-playing may be more N, I don't know. I just know it's not me.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I tried a pen-and-paper RPG game once and it was nearly physically painful, I was so bored. I was fairly open to it too, I thought it would be way more fun than it was! I don't understand the appeal at all now.

Sounds like a crappy DM and lame PC's.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I would say that RPGs are "N" because of the possibilities. For example, P&P games can be wholly created in the imagination with no game guides etc. Computer RPGs have much more flexibility than either platformers or shooters, etc.

For example, in an RPG you might be able to "win" in a scenario by not killing the villian but by stealing his power somehow, turning another faction against him, indirectly harming him economically by cutting his supply line, etc. There's simply much more flexibility in an RPG setting, even a computerized one.

However, "The Brothel for Slating Intellectual Lusts" in Planescape might be more of a "T" thing. :D

You need a paper grocery bag full of homemade beef jerky and dandelion wine, and one whiney git that demands to always play a chaotic neutral character and gets killed by the other players by the 5th roll. And it also helps if it's the 80's. :D

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm an ISTJ and I've always loved RPGs. I mostly play the console-styled ones, such as Final Fantasy and others. I also played Guild Wars for four years. (Still playing.)

I would love to play more on-paper or table-top strategy, but none of my friends would play those with me. That's why I never invested in them. (Although I did create a D&D styled game myself, using Lego characters for the movers and I drew up my own character sheets, cards, and other stuff. Rules, just with dice and ruler, etc.)

The primary attraction for me in an RPG is the story --- that is a must. But other than the story, I enjoy the problem solving aspects. I like it when you are handed a quest and there is more than one way to solve it, etc. Linear is nice, storyline-wise, but I really like games that are open-ended, like Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Heh....I even tried making an RPG out of a short book I wrote, once. RPGMaker XP. ; )

(Got halfway done with it, but once I realized that no one would play it, I quit. It was only fun for sixty hours of work or so. After that it was just.....work.)

Long live RPGs! :D

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

So...the heavy role-playing may be more N, I don't know. I just know it's not me.

Just wondering, what was it that made you bored? I know group playing styles vary with P&P RPGs. There are many groups that I could play with and become bored based on the way they play (or what they play).

I enjoy GMing because I'm always expending energy to keep things going. Whenever I played I sometimes became bored or stared off because I wasn't always in action. Maybe you were on the wrong side of the screen? :D

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I appreciate both. I love FPS, far more than MMOs (actually, I quite dislike them). Probably because all the mmos I've played are shallow and revolve around what gear you possess and your statistics strictly. There's a different kind of depth and customization involved with table-top rpgs, and they're fun to play with a group of friends being right there around you.
I don't really care for FPS games (especially multiplayer ones) - some single player ones, with major RPG elements (Mass Effect is a good example), I do enjoy. I sort of hate to see what's happened with MMO's - I used to play MUDs before they got popular, and then played EQ for a long time in its early years, and I have to say that they really aren't the same as they used to be. They used to be *far* more similar to pen and paper RPG's than they are now, especially socially. Those games used to have great communities - perhaps it's just that I'm older, but a lot of that's just disappeared. Like you say, many have turned into a sort of rat-race treadmill of one-upsmanship. Can be fun in small doses when you play them with friends, but take just too much time to keep up with.

I only play rpgs... there's something about the elaborate storyline and beautiful sceneries; it just kinda sucks you in.
Good RPG's are probably my favorites these days. I tend to particularly enjoy BioWare's RPG's - new one coming out the first week of November - looking forward to that one :).

I would love to play pen and paper RPG's, but alas, I don't know anyone (anyone who is bearable to be around) that plays them.
Very, very true. I played a bit of D&D in the early 80's as a kid, and it was a good, fun, social game. Played a couple of times in college with friends, which was fun (although most of what I remember is ordering the 28-inch pizzas we'd eat while we played). But that was a rare event for us, so when asked to play by another guy in my dorm on a more regular basis, I said yes. Oh my... imagine the worst stereotypes of college D&D'ers... and then imagine them as an understatement when it comes to immature, creepy horniness. Sometimes truth is creepier than parody. That didn't last long - I wanted to have fun playing, and could have in different circumstances, but... not so much.

I like video game RPG's like Fable, WOW and Oblivion. But I didn't like Fall Out 3.
I'm pretty picky - I didn't enjoy Fallout 3 at all. Didn't get all that far into it, but it was visually lackluster (to be kind), and couldn't get into the story (what little I could find). Just didn't hook me in like some other games have.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Good RPG's are probably my favorites these days. I tend to particularly enjoy BioWare's RPG's - new one coming out the first week of November - looking forward to that one .

Hmm, I checked them out on wikipedia and I haven't played any of their products. The last rpg that I played was Lost Odyssey--which was a year ago :/

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I play rpg games. I love em.
I play strategy games. I'm very good at them.
I sometimes play 3rd person action games such as devil may cry and the sort.

I don't play fps unless I'm with a number of friends at a lan network place.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just wondering, what was it that made you bored? I know group playing styles vary with P&P RPGs. There are many groups that I could play with and become bored based on the way they play (or what they play).

I enjoy GMing because I'm always expending energy to keep things going. Whenever I played I sometimes became bored or stared off because I wasn't always in action. Maybe you were on the wrong side of the screen? :D
It was maybe that we weren't doing anything...productive I guess? Just exploring. I didn't like the open-endedness of it, it just seemed like we were doing nothing. And I don't like trying to think of things to do out of nowhere, I prefer to know everything I could possibly do and then choose the best option...and the dice rolling! I hate the element of chance, it takes away from skill. So any game where it's a major factor is irritaing. Speaking if skill, that was probably the biggest thing that bored me. The absolute lack of any skill required to get anywhere...because there was bascially nowhere to "get" as far as I could tell.

I'm pretty into strategy games and similar, where you have a goal and it's pretty obvious how to get there, although of course you can use different strategies to win. You're not just thrown into the game, have to figure out what to do and where to go with no guidelines.

I'd be somewhat open to trying again with a different crowd if it ever came up (as long as I could leave when I got bored). I considered that it may have been the DM(GM?) but the other guys seemed to have a lot of fun, even after I couldn't take it anymore and left.

Just nothing at all in the scenario that was fun to me, I guess. We could have been sitting around rolling a dice over and over again to decide who wins and it wouldn't be much different for me.

Timmy

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
ENTP here.

I hate, nay loathe, RPGs. You couldn't get me to play them even if you offered to pay my account and subsidize my entire life.

FPS games like Ghost Recon, on the other hand, rock. In multiplayer mode, awesome.

BUT, I hate the run-around-and-shoot-everything-that-moves games like Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty, etc.. I just don't get it.

Perhaps it's because I like the shooting aspect and the sneak-around-and-kill-bad-guys-without-getting-caught strategy of that type of game.

Turn-based strategy games like Perfect General, Civ IV are good, too.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
From people I know. INTJ great at RPGs. NPs were quite good at FPS games (well old ones like quake TF), maybe Ne is as valuable in reading play and understanding how others might move as Se is in skills, reaction and spatial judgement. Se types own on guitar hero. ISFP doesn't like competition in games and just plays for meditative purposes.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
RPG's make my head hurt.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It was maybe that we weren't doing anything...productive I guess? Just exploring. I didn't like the open-endedness of it, it just seemed like we were doing nothing. And I don't like trying to think of things to do out of nowhere, I prefer to know everything I could possibly do and then choose the best option...and the dice rolling! I hate the element of chance, it takes away from skill. So any game where it's a major factor is irritaing. Speaking if skill, that was probably the biggest thing that bored me. The absolute lack of any skill required to get anywhere...because there was bascially nowhere to "get" as far as I could tell.

I'm pretty into strategy games and similar, where you have a goal and it's pretty obvious how to get there, although of course you can use different strategies to win. You're not just thrown into the game, have to figure out what to do and where to go with no guidelines.

I'd be somewhat open to trying again with a different crowd if it ever came up (as long as I could leave when I got bored). I considered that it may have been the DM(GM?) but the other guys seemed to have a lot of fun, even after I couldn't take it anymore and left.

Just nothing at all in the scenario that was fun to me, I guess. We could have been sitting around rolling a dice over and over again to decide who wins and it wouldn't be much different for me.

The point of the dice rolling for is role-playing (or roll-playing, rather). Since it is your character's skill, and not yours (also, factoring in the randomness). Although when it comes to PC and NPC interaction, I always factor in how they talk to others and what decisions they make beside the die roll (like if they make a good argument in character or sound very persuasive I'll give them a bonus behind the screen to their diplomacy roll or whatever). I roll most of the dice for them for skills and things they shouldn't know the result of.

I figured the Open-ended nature of these games would have a Perceiver drooling at the mouth, lol. The game involves lots of mental exercise as in using and devising strategies, physical, mental, and social. You just have to base these on your character's abilities and not your own. I guess that could feel like a jip when your skill isn't directly involved. Because when you're playing a Role-playing game you're just sort of playing through a conduit, and whatever happens on the other side isn't completely in your control. Although we use things like action points to allow players a bit more control over certain situations (also so they have a less likely chance of making embarrassing mistakes because of the way the dice rolled). The rest is up to how they optimize their character and how they role-play them.