User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

I'm an ISTJ and I've always loved RPGs. I mostly play the console-styled ones, such as Final Fantasy and others. I also played Guild Wars for four years. (Still playing.)

I would love to play more on-paper or table-top strategy, but none of my friends would play those with me. That's why I never invested in them. (Although I did create a D&D styled game myself, using Lego characters for the movers and I drew up my own character sheets, cards, and other stuff. Rules, just with dice and ruler, etc.)

The primary attraction for me in an RPG is the story --- that is a must. But other than the story, I enjoy the problem solving aspects. I like it when you are handed a quest and there is more than one way to solve it, etc. Linear is nice, storyline-wise, but I really like games that are open-ended, like Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Heh....I even tried making an RPG out of a short book I wrote, once. RPGMaker XP. ; )

(Got halfway done with it, but once I realized that no one would play it, I quit. It was only fun for sixty hours of work or so. After that it was just.....work.)

Long live RPGs!

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I tried a pen-and-paper RPG game once and it was nearly physically painful, I was so bored. I was fairly open to it too, I thought it would be way more fun than it was! I don't understand the appeal at all now.

So...the heavy role-playing may be more N, I don't know. I just know it's not me.
    Just wondering, what was it that made you bored? I know group playing styles vary with P&P RPGs. There are many groups that I could play with and become bored based on the way they play (or what they play).

I enjoy GMing because I'm always expending energy to keep things going. Whenever I played I sometimes became bored or stared off because I wasn't always in action. Maybe you were on the wrong side of the screen?

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    I appreciate both. I love FPS, far more than MMOs (actually, I quite dislike them). Probably because all the mmos I've played are shallow and revolve around what gear you possess and your statistics strictly. There's a different kind of depth and customization involved with table-top rpgs, and they're fun to play with a group of friends being right there around you.
    I don't really care for FPS games (especially multiplayer ones) - some single player ones, with major RPG elements (Mass Effect is a good example), I do enjoy. I sort of hate to see what's happened with MMO's - I used to play MUDs before they got popular, and then played EQ for a long time in its early years, and I have to say that they really aren't the same as they used to be. They used to be *far* more similar to pen and paper RPG's than they are now, especially socially. Those games used to have great communities - perhaps it's just that I'm older, but a lot of that's just disappeared. Like you say, many have turned into a sort of rat-race treadmill of one-upsmanship. Can be fun in small doses when you play them with friends, but take just too much time to keep up with.

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    I only play rpgs... there's something about the elaborate storyline and beautiful sceneries; it just kinda sucks you in.
    Good RPG's are probably my favorites these days. I tend to particularly enjoy BioWare's RPG's - new one coming out the first week of November - looking forward to that one .

Quote Originally Posted by Argus2968 View Post
    I would love to play pen and paper RPG's, but alas, I don't know anyone (anyone who is bearable to be around) that plays them.
    Very, very true. I played a bit of D&D in the early 80's as a kid, and it was a good, fun, social game. Played a couple of times in college with friends, which was fun (although most of what I remember is ordering the 28-inch pizzas we'd eat while we played). But that was a rare event for us, so when asked to play by another guy in my dorm on a more regular basis, I said yes. Oh my... imagine the worst stereotypes of college D&D'ers... and then imagine them as an understatement when it comes to immature, creepy horniness. Sometimes truth is creepier than parody. That didn't last long - I wanted to have fun playing, and could have in different circumstances, but... not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus2968 View Post
    I like video game RPG's like Fable, WOW and Oblivion. But I didn't like Fall Out 3.
    I'm pretty picky - I didn't enjoy Fallout 3 at all. Didn't get all that far into it, but it was visually lackluster (to be kind), and couldn't get into the story (what little I could find). Just didn't hook me in like some other games have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Good RPG's are probably my favorites these days. I tend to particularly enjoy BioWare's RPG's - new one coming out the first week of November - looking forward to that one .
    Hmm, I checked them out on wikipedia and I haven't played any of their products. The last rpg that I played was Lost Odyssey--which was a year ago :/
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I play rpg games. I love em.
    I play strategy games. I'm very good at them.
    I sometimes play 3rd person action games such as devil may cry and the sort.

I don't play fps unless I'm with a number of friends at a lan network place.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    Just wondering, what was it that made you bored? I know group playing styles vary with P&P RPGs. There are many groups that I could play with and become bored based on the way they play (or what they play).

I enjoy GMing because I'm always expending energy to keep things going. Whenever I played I sometimes became bored or stared off because I wasn't always in action. Maybe you were on the wrong side of the screen?
    It was maybe that we weren't doing anything...productive I guess? Just exploring. I didn't like the open-endedness of it, it just seemed like we were doing nothing. And I don't like trying to think of things to do out of nowhere, I prefer to know everything I could possibly do and then choose the best option...and the dice rolling! I hate the element of chance, it takes away from skill. So any game where it's a major factor is irritaing. Speaking if skill, that was probably the biggest thing that bored me. The absolute lack of any skill required to get anywhere...because there was bascially nowhere to "get" as far as I could tell.

I'm pretty into strategy games and similar, where you have a goal and it's pretty obvious how to get there, although of course you can use different strategies to win. You're not just thrown into the game, have to figure out what to do and where to go with no guidelines.

I'd be somewhat open to trying again with a different crowd if it ever came up (as long as I could leave when I got bored). I considered that it may have been the DM(GM?) but the other guys seemed to have a lot of fun, even after I couldn't take it anymore and left.

Just nothing at all in the scenario that was fun to me, I guess. We could have been sitting around rolling a dice over and over again to decide who wins and it wouldn't be much different for me.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

ENTP here.

I hate, nay loathe, RPGs. You couldn't get me to play them even if you offered to pay my account and subsidize my entire life.

FPS games like Ghost Recon, on the other hand, rock. In multiplayer mode, awesome.

BUT, I hate the run-around-and-shoot-everything-that-moves games like Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty, etc.. I just don't get it.

Perhaps it's because I like the shooting aspect and the sneak-around-and-kill-bad-guys-without-getting-caught strategy of that type of game.

Turn-based strategy games like Perfect General, Civ IV are good, too.

From people I know. INTJ great at RPGs. NPs were quite good at FPS games (well old ones like quake TF), maybe Ne is as valuable in reading play and understanding how others might move as Se is in skills, reaction and spatial judgement. Se types own on guitar hero. ISFP doesn't like competition in games and just plays for meditative purposes.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

RPG's make my head hurt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    It was maybe that we weren't doing anything...productive I guess? Just exploring. I didn't like the open-endedness of it, it just seemed like we were doing nothing. And I don't like trying to think of things to do out of nowhere, I prefer to know everything I could possibly do and then choose the best option...and the dice rolling! I hate the element of chance, it takes away from skill. So any game where it's a major factor is irritaing. Speaking if skill, that was probably the biggest thing that bored me. The absolute lack of any skill required to get anywhere...because there was bascially nowhere to "get" as far as I could tell.

I'm pretty into strategy games and similar, where you have a goal and it's pretty obvious how to get there, although of course you can use different strategies to win. You're not just thrown into the game, have to figure out what to do and where to go with no guidelines.

I'd be somewhat open to trying again with a different crowd if it ever came up (as long as I could leave when I got bored). I considered that it may have been the DM(GM?) but the other guys seemed to have a lot of fun, even after I couldn't take it anymore and left.

Just nothing at all in the scenario that was fun to me, I guess. We could have been sitting around rolling a dice over and over again to decide who wins and it wouldn't be much different for me.
    The point of the dice rolling for is role-playing (or roll-playing, rather). Since it is your character's skill, and not yours (also, factoring in the randomness). Although when it comes to PC and NPC interaction, I always factor in how they talk to others and what decisions they make beside the die roll (like if they make a good argument in character or sound very persuasive I'll give them a bonus behind the screen to their diplomacy roll or whatever). I roll most of the dice for them for skills and things they shouldn't know the result of.

I figured the Open-ended nature of these games would have a Perceiver drooling at the mouth, lol. The game involves lots of mental exercise as in using and devising strategies, physical, mental, and social. You just have to base these on your character's abilities and not your own. I guess that could feel like a jip when your skill isn't directly involved. Because when you're playing a Role-playing game you're just sort of playing through a conduit, and whatever happens on the other side isn't completely in your control. Although we use things like action points to allow players a bit more control over certain situations (also so they have a less likely chance of making embarrassing mistakes because of the way the dice rolled). The rest is up to how they optimize their character and how they role-play them.