• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gilmore Girls

Usehername

On a mission
Emily Gilmore: ESFJ (can't believe you thought she was anything other than SJ. I mean the Daughters of the Revolution? :shock:)

She comes from a way different generation though, one where no woman worked if she was married (especially The Wife to a hotshot businessman). It makes sense for any sort of J to recognize this organization as a respectable way to leverage power (clearly she's not a xxxP who wouldn't care so much about others' perception). She actually gives off IxTJ vibes to me.

Bowie

MBTI Type
ENTP
weird- when I searched Gilmore girls I didn't find it. Sorry. I guess that's a Search fail for me :D

I put Emily as an ENFJ because of her manipulation tactics - I feel they're pretty classic NF. Loreli actually seems to get some of it from her mother, as well. That's also why I wouldn't say she's any sort of xxTx, most of her decisions are based upon if someone's thinking of her or not :D

I'd have to actually agree with you on Lane, though. I think ENFP is a better choice for her. :)

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I am flabbergasted at Rory's ISFJ. I'd go with like INFJ or even INTP

Usehername

On a mission
I am flabbergasted at Rory's ISFJ. I'd go with like INFJ or even INTP

Where is there any evidence for Rory being an N (excluding the dialogue characteristic of the entire show, which every character, even DEAN, exemplifies)? All of her personality habits reinforce ISFJ characteristics; she's an introvert with Fe (always the town participating golden girl).

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Where is there any evidence for Rory being an N (excluding the dialogue characteristic of the entire show, which every character, even DEAN, exemplifies)? All of her personality habits reinforce ISFJ characteristics; she's an introvert with Fe (always the town participating golden girl).

The question is, when has Rory EVER shown Si?! She always mocks the traditional things her town does and always ends up going along only to humor someone. She only goes along with Emily's stupid events to keep the peace in the family. I think she entirely fits the NF temperament vibe and she is just so much more of a big picture person, I never see her focus on the details of anything. Plus her conversations with Lorelai are totally Ne/Ni style.

I'd definitely say INFJ, I can see primary Ni with a secondary Fe.

And I said INTP originally because she can be extremely insensitive compared to Lorelai (and to Lorelai, many times) and seems like she prefers the rational approach but gives in to the feeling one because everyone in her life is an F

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Rory is an INFJ... When the show started she was an INTP, but she later transformed into an INFJ. It is possible that the new writers turned her into an ISFJ... (they changed writers during the last two seasons): because that was when she began to annoy me and she changed into a completely different person, which really bugged me. But she was originally an INFJ. I was a rabid fan girl when the show first came out, which was in 2000... I was probably ten years old. Yup, there is a lot of character development.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I put Emily as an ENFJ because of her manipulation tactics - I feel they're pretty classic NF.

Oh really?

And this is coming from an ...ENTP?
Interesting.
<swirls moustache>

Rory is an INFJ... When the show started she was an INTP, but she later transformed into an INFJ. It is possible that the new writers turned her into an ISFJ... (they changed writers during the last two seasons): because that was when she began to annoy me and she changed into a completely different person, which really bugged me. But she was originally an INFJ. I was a rabid fan girl when the show first came out, which was in 2000... I was probably ten years old. Yup, there is a lot of character development.

Oooh, yeah.
The writers of the sixth? season screwed everything up. I absolutely hated Rory after she went off to college. It was like, "She's doing what? And she's dating who? ...Ew. <flicks off TV>." Can't believe I forgot about the writer change. They ruined our characters :(.

I do see your point^, paperoceans. She does appear to have many symptons of INFJness.

matilda

Rory ISFJ
Jess INFP
Dean ESTJ
Sookie ENFP
Paris ISTJ

Not sure on Dean's typing, but everyone else's, pretty sure.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What's with the I for Paris? I'd type her ENTJ in a heartbeat. She's ranting at everyone, president of everything, she's the ringleader at Chilton with her own little posse, her Te is showing all over the place as she has this need to succeed at everything and conquer just about anything in her path. There's nothing subtle about that woman, she's blunt to a T and pretty much scary and overwhelming to everyone.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The question is, when has Rory EVER shown Si?! She always mocks the traditional things her town does and always ends up going along only to humor someone. She only goes along with Emily's stupid events to keep the peace in the family. I think she entirely fits the NF temperament vibe and she is just so much more of a big picture person, I never see her focus on the details of anything. Plus her conversations with Lorelai are totally Ne/Ni style.

I'd definitely say INFJ, I can see primary Ni with a secondary Fe.

And I said INTP originally because she can be extremely insensitive compared to Lorelai (and to Lorelai, many times) and seems like she prefers the rational approach but gives in to the feeling one because everyone in her life is an F
My wife says that Rory is definitely logic oriented. And she looks like a Chart the Course type. I say ISTJ is possible. I'll have to check on S/N, but she looks like a lot of ISTJ's I know. Just like I said for Daria, they do rebel when things sre deemed corrupt or stupid, and they can look like Fe users because of Si and Fi.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Threads have been merged.

My guesses:

Rory- ISFJ or INFJ. She's mostly even tempered but still a bit sensitive. Rule follower, though not religiously like Paris. And she's like a very nice, very quiet, goody-two shoes type. She's always worried about people being nice and considerate to one another, which seems deliberately Fe.

Lorelai- ENFP or ENFJ. Ive also heard it suggested that she might be ESFP. Personally I'm leaning ENFP just because being scatterbrained + very mañana + verbally quick + really sensitive seems more like ENFP than ENFJ. Plus she can get all weird towards the objects of her affection, which seems very Fi. And, finally, she does that NFP thing where she keeps her feelings to herself (though badly) and then explodes later. Oh and she's not really too worried about offending others if her feelings come first.

Luke- ISTP or INTJ. I am iffy on the N because he's so handy-man trade-school-ish.
Emily- ESFJ. She barely ever gets her daughter's jokes or humor.
Richard- ISTJ. Quiet rule-follower that likes his quiet time.
Paris- I/ESTJ.
Dean- ISTP. He builds cars and has no ambitions. And he's got some anger control issues.
Jess- INFP. Annoying, though. Whiny.
Sookie- ESFJ. For sure.
Taylor- ESFJ. Gone wrong.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That blog acknowledges that Rory seems SJish. Again, my wife says definite Thinking, but still not sure whether she's going by the earlier series or later, or the whole thing.
ISTJ's like people being nice and considerate if they were taught people should be that way.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I found here an interesting case for Lorelai as an ESFP, though I'm still divided between ESFP and ENFP:

Eh, I don't buy their "case" for her being S. All they say is that (1) she likes to have fun, (2) she doesn't plan, and (3) she talks about pop culture references and other "down to Earth" subjects.

(1) and (2) do not sufficiently distinguish ENFP/ESFP, as both can have such tendencies. (3) is simply false. In the first place, talking in pop culture references is not an indicator of N vs S, especially since pretty much all of the characters do it in this show regardless of their personalities. Secondly, Lorelai likes to talk most about feelings and relationships, not about "down to Earth" topics. She is often bored out of her mind by the "play by play" sensor talk that she gets from her mother or from Sookie (e.g., when Sookie goes on and on about how she made a particular dish, or what happened on a particular date, or when Emily talks about how so and so's son is going to such and such a school). And the love of gossip that site mentioned is misunderstood; Lorelai doesn't like gossip qua gossip, she only likes it insofar as it affords her amusement at the expense of her neighbors and friends, because she likes to make fun of them and finds their absurdity amusing.

I think the "NF leanings" they attribute to her to soften the SFP claim betrays the fact that their argument is pretty weak.

Also, there is no way in hell that Jess is an INTP.

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well put, Orangey, and well taken. Lorelai must be an ENFP, then. I mean, she can't be J...that's the whole premise of the Lorelai/Rory dynamic. Rory is the responsible one, and Lorelai is finally getting her act together in life and love. Love her :wubbie:

But how can Jess be an INFP? He's sooo clumsy with his feelings, which only shoot, unwillingly, out of his mouth at the worst of all possible times. I always got the sense that he had no idea what he was feeling until somebody or something forced him to take stock. I wouldn't ascribe much of a fantasy life to him either. He seemed too harsh for the rainbowed daydreams typical of the NFP.

Brutally hot, but that's way besides the point :doh:

So, set me straight! INFP how?

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
I agree. I cant imagine Jess being an F at all. Someone tell me how he is anything but INTP.

Qre:us

Laura Lai (whatever spelling) is a poster child for ENFP if I've ever seen one.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree. I cant imagine Jess being an F at all. Someone tell me how he is anything but INTP.

ENTP. He does love an audience, even if it is for negative attention. And he has his way with women, he's pretty charming when he wants to be. And he does the whole unpredictable crazy idea shit.

bronson

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Lorelai Crazy, quippy ENFP
Rory Reserved and thoughtful INFJ

Luke Loyal and unemotional ISTJ
Jess Brooding INFP or antagonising INTP

Dean ISxP

Emily Tightly wound ESFJ
Richard Protective ISFJ
These two have to be Guardians, and hence the clash with spontaneous and unconventional Lorelai.

Paris Undoubtedly ENTJ
Logan Spontaneous and fun-loving ESFP who can't hack responsibility
Christopher Flighty ISFP ... I guess?
Lane ENFP?
Zack Chilled ESFP
Mrs. Kim Overbearing ESTJ

Suki Artistic ESFP
Jackson Protective ESFJ
Taylor Controlling ESFJ
Miss Patty ESFP
Babette ESFP

April Science nerd ENTP

Man this show has heaps of characters...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lorelai ESFP - She seems in the moment and connected to the concrete world. She expresses herself concretely.

Rory INTJ - I always thought she was a T because her focus and drive is in the world of ideas. Based on the female INFJs I know, she could also be that type. I don't think a person has to be detached from emotion or sensitivity to be a Rationalist.