• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NBC's "Friends" Characters

knowledge827

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Monica: ESTJ 1w2 > 3w2 > 6w7 so/sp
Rachel: ESFP 6w7 > 3w2 (sw 4w3) > 9w1 sx/so
Chandler: ENTP 6w7 > 9w8 > 3w2 so/sx (possibly so/sp)
Joey: ESFP 7w8 > 9w8 > 2w3 sx/so
Phoebe: xNFP 4w3 > 6w7 > 9w1 sp/sx
Ross: ISTJ 6w5 > 9w1 > 3w4 sp/so

- - - Updated - - -

Agree with every single one. Ross made me wanna rip my hair out. :cry:

Ross was a bit obsessive and neurotic at times, but I still think he's awesome. Phoebe, on the other hand, makes me want to bash my skull against a wall.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Monica is obviously an SJ. ESFJ or ESTJ
I don't know about Ross, maybe ISTJ
Chandler - ENTP
Phoebe - ENFP
Joey - ESFP
My least favourate was actually Rachel, who must be an xSFP

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am still into the first season.

When I saw Phoebe I screamed INFP. I came looking for a friends thread to confirm it and here we have most people typing her as an ENFP. She seems too removed from what's going on around her to be an extrovert. She is not stimulated by her environment. She contributes after having thought it out in her head. I thought she's a classic introvert. I could be wrong.

Chandler is sooo freaking hard to type. Could he be an ISTP? I DON'T THINK HE IS AN ENTP. I don't see that Ne naturally and easily and happily connecting things in him.

That Cosmo Kramer dude from Seinfeld seems like an ENTP. Compare him to chandler and you'd notice a difference.

When ENTPs uses Ne it makes them happy. Chandler doesn't do much Ne and he definitely doesn't seem happy doing it.

Rachel - ESTP - compare her to Joey, no Fi, tert-Fe
Monica - ESFJ
Phoebe - ENFP - a prototypical ENFP, IMO
Joey - ESFP
Chandler - eNTP
Ross - ISFJ, he's actually the hardest to type for me

Okay why didn't I think of ESTP for Rachel? Dammit. I was quite sure on ISFJ. But I am in the first season. She comes from a pampered wealthy background and has never done anything for herself when the show initially started. I think I can agree with that. ESTP 6w7 so/sx maybe.

But why why why why why do you see Monica as an ESFJ? I thought she is a classic ESTJ. Not much Fe in her. She has that matter of fact, honest, in your face, I can't lie much thingy often seen in ESTJ e6 women. ESFJ women are more buttery and manipulative thanks to Fe. ESTJ would be more straightforward, direct thanks to Te. Monika has Te I think.

I am betting ESTJ over ESFJ for her. I like her.

He strikes me more as whiny & passive than bossy & arrogant. IxFJs can ve VERY stubborn, especially INFJs.

On the show, he seems to turn people off right away because of those qualities, but the people who know him well (the other friends...) like him because he's actually caring & romantic, has some random/interesting knowledge (okay, he's a nerd :D), and he's somewhat imaginative.

I think that sounds very IxFJ. I still lean towards ISFJ.

Agree with this. Haven't noticed people being turned off by him yet. Still in the first season. But he is a hard pill to swallow which is why I agree with -

Rachel: ESFJ, lots of Fe
Monica: ESTJ with ISFJ moments
Phoebe: ENFP
Chandler: ENTP
Joey: ESFP
Ross: THEWORST

this.

Of course they do exist - who would else do a lab work ? :D

medicine is full of ISxJ scientists, in labs... doing so many detail work :(

i watched friends too long ago... but my guess:

ross : isfj
rachel estp
monica esfj
phoebe esfp
joey esfp
chandler : entp

Again ENTP for chandler and ESFJ for monica. Arghhhh!!!

I should probably start watching Friends, because people keep comparing me to Monica, and I want to know if that's a compliment or not. :laugh:

I think she is a E6 which would have a significant difference to a e1. Hmm maybe she is a 2w1. I actually don't know. Maybe she is a e1.

She's be an great partner I think. Also she looks really nice.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That Cosmo Kramer dude from Seinfeld seems like an ENTP. Compare him to chandler and you'd notice a difference.

When ENTPs uses Ne it makes them happy. Chandler doesn't do much Ne and he definitely doesn't seem happy doing it.

I remember [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] saying Chandler struck her as a super phobic ESFJ 6. I still really like [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION]'s typings too tho.

Also this thread is really difficult for me to read through one time around without getting confused about people constantly typing me as ENTP. :cry:

When it comes to most relatable characters, I've always felt like a mix between Rachel and Phoebe. But now that I think about it, I could easily see some Joey in me too. :thinking: And even a dash of Chandler (minus the name thing). I just know Monica and Ross are definitely not on the list.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean Kramer is super exaggerated, over-the-top Ne. I definitely agree that chandler's an e6 so that'd make him a little more hesitant and stable in comparison. he's one of the more difficult ones to pinpoint though. I'm solid on everyone else's type though besides him and Ross who I really have no idea for. some kinda IxxJ I guess.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean Kramer is super exaggerated, over-the-top Ne. I definitely agree that chandler's an e6 so that'd make him a little more hesitant and stable in comparison. he's one of the more difficult ones to pinpoint though. I'm solid on everyone else's type though besides him and Ross who I really have no idea for. some kinda IxxJ I guess.

Yeah kramer is exaggerated Ne. I can think of king shultz fron django unchained as an entp with mild Ne.

I think we could all agree that no matter what we type chandler as they'll always be doubts.

U don't see rachael as an estp? Even i thought she is an obvious isfj until that option was pointed out.

High five on monica's estj typing.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah kramer is exaggerated Ne. I can think of king shultz fron django unchained as an entp with mild Ne.

I think we could all agree that no matter what we type chandler as they'll always be doubts.

U don't see rachael as an estp? Even i thought she is an obvious isfj until that option was pointed out.

High five on monica's esth typing.

I can see why people see Rachel as an SP but I think her Fe is way too strong for it to be tertiary. nor do I see strong Se in her, she was just raised to be a spoiled rich girl which is why she's not more organized or in control.

Starry

I remember [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] saying Chandler struck her as a super phobic ESFJ 6.

The Friends characters scare me and haunt my nightmares with their two-dimensional qualities so...keep that in mind when considering my typings haha.

Raccoon

Monica: ESTJ
Chandler: INTP
Ross: ISFJ
Rachel: ESFJ
Joey: ESFP
Phoebe: I don't even know.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Been watching this lately and its a awesome show so Id thoguht I give it a shot at typing them :D.

Monica: ESTJ 1w9 3w2 6w7 So/Sp
Chandler: ENTP 6w7 9w1 2w3 So/Sp
Ross: ISTJ 6w5 9w1 3w4 Sp/So
Rachel: ESFP 6w7 3w2 9w8 So/Sx
Joey: ESFP 7w8 3w2 9w8 So/Sx
Phoebe: INFP 7w6 4w5 9w1 Sx/So

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Rachel - ENFP
Ross - INTJ
Monica - ESTJ
Phoebe - INFP
Chandler - ENTP
Joey - ESFP

Few extra points. Chandler and Ross's friendship, the longest of the show, is v understandable with a knowledge of MBTI pairings. ENTP/INTJ, classic pairing. Altho their contrasting extraversion and introversion, perceiving and judging traits make them better suited to romance than easy friendship. As is shown by Chandler NEVER wanting to live with Ross again, annoyed as he became with Ross' introversion and orderliness. Chandler much prefers to live with another impulsive Extrovert with perceiver traits, such as Joey. (I am not intimating that Chandler and Ross should have hooked up, however).

Ross and Rachel - a great romantic pairing, MBTI-wise. Altho INTJ is slightly better suited to ENTP than ENFP. The difficulties of a thinker with a feeler cropped up a few times. Ross taking things literally, acting logically, not realising he was neglecting Rachel's feeling-based intent.

Who never had much romantic chemistry, but seemed quite alike and chummy? Rachel and Chandler. They are only different on one trait, after all.

Lastly, see here for a beautiful example of an INTJ and INFP interaction:

Phoebe's flexible, open Extraverted Intuition combined with an "it just feels right" Introverted Feeling completely flummoxing Ross's patient, reasoned Extraverted Thinking argument and his cast iron, unshakeable Introverted Intuition surety.