• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bright Star (John Keats movie)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can't say I recommend it....visually it was interesting, but I hate to admit that it was boring (and I usually love "boring" movies).

Anyhow, Keats onscreen managed to stay INFP (maybe why the movie was boring....the life of an INFP...terribly quiet.).

As for the other main characters:

Fanny Brawne - ExFP
Charles Brown - ENTP

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can't say I recommend it....visually it was interesting, but I hate to admit that it was boring (and I usually love "boring" movies).

Anyhow, Keats onscreen managed to stay INFP (maybe why the movie was boring....the life of an INFP...terribly quiet.).

As for the other main characters:

Fanny Brawne - ExFP
Charles Brown - ENTP

I enjoyed it; it was simple and had a strange quality to it.

Keats-Yeah, INFP
Fanny-Hm...ENFP, maybe
Brown-I could see ENTP

I pretty much agree with you.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a gorgeous film. But I love poetry, so that helped. It was quiet but I didn't find it the least boring. The romance was...romantic, but convincing. I felt like that was how their story might really have been.

I'd pretty much agree with the above but I'm pretty sure Fanny is a Sensor. I didn't see either Ni or Ne in her, personally.

Keats - INFP
Fanny - ESFP
Brown - ENTP
Fanny's mother - IxFJ?

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a gorgeous film. But I love poetry, so that helped. It was quiet but I didn't find it the least boring. The romance was...romantic, but convincing. I felt like that was how their story might really have been.

I'd pretty much agree with the above but I'm pretty sure Fanny is a Sensor. I didn't see either Ni or Ne in her, personally.

Keats - INFP
Fanny - ESFP
Brown - ENTP
Fanny's mother - IxFJ?

It was more of a hunch than a though-out answer. Yes, ESFP is probably correct.

As for her mother, I think ISFJ if the rest is correct. Her worry about Fanny marrying Keats because he's poor sounds like an Si thing. Of course, anybody would probably be worried, but her worry seems to be something that's part of her psychology to me rather than reasoning.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was more of a hunch than a though-out answer. Yes, ESFP is probably correct.

As for her mother, I think ISFJ if the rest is correct. Her worry about Fanny marrying Keats because he's poor sounds like an Si thing. Of course, anybody would probably be worried, but her worry seems to be something that's part of her psychology to me rather than reasoning.

I pretty much agree about the mother. I think ISFJ is most likely.

Although, the thing about him being poor etc, that was very much a concern of the time period 200 years ago. I think now, people either think about that less, or they think about it in a different way. I think she could also be an SJ-like INFJ... But perhaps ISFJ is more likely.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Although, the thing about him being poor etc, that was very much a concern of the time period 200 years ago. I think now, people either think about that less, or they think about it in a different way. I think she could also be an SJ-like INFJ... But perhaps ISFJ is more likely.

Well, of course it was a bigger concern back that, but it still sounds like an Si thing. I mean, if Fanny was ESFP, she would've had Se-Fi, and she didn't really care about Keyne's poorness. Her mother, in contrast, seemed to want the traditional, safe way for her by having her marry a financially-secure man.

I think poorness is still a concern today. I mean, when we say poor today, it usually means some poorer, middle-class situation. Keynes would've been somewhere along the lines of poor, working-class today. So, it would be something like eating every other day, no access to medication, and perhaps being driven out of your home soon; it's not every parent's dream for their child to end up like this.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well, of course it was a bigger concern back that, but it still sounds like an Si thing. I mean, if Fanny was ESFP, she would've had Se-Fi, and she didn't really care about Keyne's poorness. Her mother, in contrast, seemed to want the traditional, safe way for her by having her marry a financially-secure man.

I think poorness is still a concern today. I mean, when we say poor today, it usually means some poorer, middle-class situation. Keynes would've been somewhere along the lines of poor, working-class today. So, it would be something like eating every other day, no access to medication, and perhaps being driven out of your home soon; it's not every parent's dream for their child to end up like this.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Keats - INFP
Fanny - ESFP
Brown - ENTP
Fanny's mother - IxFJ?
It was beautiful to look at. Not as intellectually stimulating as it might have been. But not boring either. I've watched it several times and never found myself bored. The Scottish accent was distractingly bad. It occasionally descended into mawkish sentimentality, but hey, it's Keats so that's appropriate.
And really not enough poetry.

Check out how his eyes move... What's that all about?

Edit. Yes, I could see ESFP for her. Definitely INFP for him.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He looks super-nervous in that video...fortunately he was far, far better in the film!

I thought it was only seldom overly sentimental. A little occasionally, but generally it just had a very true feeling about it for me.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. I love Jane Campion.

A

Anew Leaf

I kind of thought that this movie was an exploration of why two type 4's shouldn't be together. :laugh: :mellow:

Keats - INFP
Fanny (I really hate this name) - ESFP
Brown (SO ANNOYING, I almost want to buy a book of his writing just so I can burn it and then dance with its ashes on his grave) - ENTP

I, of course, shed many tears and didn't have enough kleenex to prepare myself.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I kind of thought that this movie was an exploration of why two type 4's shouldn't be together. :laugh: :mellow:

Keats - INFP
Fanny (I really hate this name) - ESFP
Brown (SO ANNOYING, I almost want to buy a book of his writing just so I can burn it and then dance with its ashes on his grave) - ENTP

I, of course, shed many tears and didn't have enough kleenex to prepare myself.

Yeah, Brown was incredibly annoying.

Re the type 4 thing: do you think their relationship would not have gone well if Keats had lived? (not sure if that was what you meant so wanted to ask!)

I remember that the friend I went to see it with when it came out a few years ago thought Fanny was selfish. I was like "well, she kind of was...but she was only 18 or so...". I know 18-year-olds were probably forced to be more mature 200 years ago, but still... All the stuff about wanting to kill herself when he attempted to break it off, etc etc seemed rather teenage to me!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because they are both consumptive?

A

Anew Leaf

Yeah, Brown was incredibly annoying.

Re the type 4 thing: do you think their relationship would not have gone well if Keats had lived? (not sure if that was what you meant so wanted to ask!)

I remember that the friend I went to see it with when it came out a few years ago thought Fanny was selfish. I was like "well, she kind of was...but she was only 18 or so...". I know 18-year-olds were probably forced to be more mature 200 years ago, but still... All the stuff about wanting to kill herself when he attempted to break it off, etc etc seemed rather teenage to me!

Lol, because it's just tooooo much. It did make me wonder if part of the allure on both of their parts was the fact that it was forbidden/doomed. That sort of mentality heightens the senses and makes things extra dramatic.

Not to say that what they felt wasn't real... but it wasn't balanced. They both needed someone who would be a bit more pragmatic in regards to things.

Connections like this tend to burn bright, explode, and die. One cannot sustain that high a level of emotional attachment for a lifetime together. What happens when the reality of paying bills settles in? Or the reality of raising children?

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol, because it's just tooooo much. It did make me wonder if part of the allure on both of their parts was the fact that it was forbidden/doomed. That sort of mentality heightens the senses and makes things extra dramatic.

Not to say that what they felt wasn't real... but it wasn't balanced. They both needed someone who would be a bit more pragmatic in regards to things.

Connections like this tend to burn bright, explode, and die. One cannot sustain that high a level of emotional attachment for a lifetime together. What happens when the reality of paying bills settles in? Or the reality of raising children?

True, it was all highly idealistic. And the film was based on a respected biography of Keats, apparently, so it was probably fairly close to the reality as far as that can possibly go.

She seemed much more down-to-earth than him, though, so perhaps when she'd matured a bit they could have had a stable marriage. It feels sad that they couldn't find out :(

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is he even in print? The man is only known for being the friend of someone far more successful - I'd say that was punishment enough for an ENTP (if he was, I see more S in his portrayal). I found him entertaining. I do love a good villain. He was essential to plot development and creation of tension. And he helped rescue the movie from drowning in its own sentimentality.