• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Adventures in Odyssey

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have a strong feeling this post will go unanswered, but did/does anyone listen to Adventures in Odyssey? It's a Christain radio program? I used to listen to it every night when I was little and now I still listen to it sometimes in the car. Some of the messages are ridiculous but it's entertaining. Anyone...?

Whit:INxx
Connie:ESFP
Eugene:ISTJ (this seems like the only logical option but it doesn't seem to fit)
Bernard (my favorite): xSTx
Tom Riley:
Jason:ExxP

Whoever else:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's been years since I've listened to it, so I do not remember much, but I'd say Whit was a low-key ENxx of some sort and Eugene easily could be ISTJ.

It's kind of hard to type people when they are just characters within a morality play of sorts.. so the characterization serves the story, rather than characters driving the story.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, I guess I could see Whit as maybe an ENTJ but just really considerate of other people and more mellow. He's an inventor. Is there a type that is allegedly the inventor?

Yeah, ENTP... that was my first instinct with him. He seems to be as benevolent as Doc Brown out of the "Back to the Future" movies, but less manic. I think, though, this could simply be because of the venue; conservative religious cartoons tend to be reined in a bit, and Whit has to sound stable and level-headed and present a believable message in each episode, which is why they didn't really let him "get crazy" like some ENTPs do.

He has decent Fe skills.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have listened to it many times, though not most of the really recent ones.

It's kind of hard to type people when they are just characters within a morality play of sorts.. so the characterization serves the story, rather than characters driving the story.

I would say, over the 22 years that AIO has been on the air, it's probably close to an even split between character-driven and plot-driven stories. There have been all sorts of adventures that featured the development of characters rather than a specific lesson, especially the main ones like Whit, Connie, and Eugene.

As far as their types, off the top of my head I would say Whit - ISFJ, Connie - ESFP, Tom ESFJ, Eugene ENTP. But I haven't really listened since I learned more about types, so I could be way off.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say, over the 22 years that AIO has been on the air, it's probably close to an even split between character-driven and plot-driven stories. There have been all sorts of adventures that featured the development of characters rather than a specific lesson, especially the main ones like Whit, Connie, and Eugene.

I will totally surrender on that point... my experience with Odyssey occurred in the early/mid-90's, when my kids were young and when one of my friends was working for a Christian radio station. :) Pretty far from comprehensive.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm fairly new to online forums....but how did someone write on my post? That stuff about Whit being an ENTP, I didn't write that. It's not that I don't think that is a valid point, I just don't want to take credit for someone else's thoughts. Can anyone edit anyone else's posts?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm fairly new to online forums....but how did someone write on my post? That stuff about Whit being an ENTP, I didn't write that. It's not that I don't think that is a valid point, I just don't want to take credit for someone else's thoughts. Can anyone edit anyone else's posts?

*Twilight Zone music plays*

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I almost posted a thread on Adventures in Odyssey last month! Glad to see it.
I've listened to just about all of old ones. The new ones aren't as good, IMHO.

John Avery Whittaker "Whit" - ENFJ or INFJ (listen to some character episodes like when he started Whit's End and met his dead wife)
Connie Kendall - ESFP (i felt like i should have had a crush on her, but she was simply too annoying)
Eugene Meltsner - ENTP (would like an argument for another type)
Bernard Walton - ESTP (of course)
Jason Whittaker - ES*P (balanced and smart, whatever he is)
Tom Riley - ISFJ (local farmer, longtime conservative)
Dr. Regis Blackgaard - INTJ (maybe E)
Edwin Blackgaard - ENFP (weird but cool)
Bart Rathbone - ESTP (basically a conman/sales man)
Rodney Rathbone - ESTP (like father like son)
Harlow Doyle - ENFP (prrrivate eye)
Aubrey Shepard - I*FP (a creative and introspective girl who loved books and poetry. she had a tendency to act impetuously, which often got her into trouble)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Ah gee, it's been so long since I listened that I couldn't venture a guess. I'm not that good at typing that way anyway. Always enjoyed listening to the show, though and love radio shows in general. Also love Jungle Jam and Friends.

Eugene is kinda cute.

Grace, I am not sure what happened with your post unless someone else shares your computer and forgot to log into their own account?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think a mod accidentally hit "edit" instead of "quote." The buttons are right next to each other on our screens. I've almost done this a couple of times myself but (as far as I know) always caught it before hitting save.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Odyssey! I loved Odyssey when I was a kid... I doubt Eugene is an ISTJ, seems a lot more INTP to me. Connie is definitely an ESFP. Does anyone remember the episode where she and Eugene go back to Bethlehem and witness the birth of Jesus and get caught up with zealouts - and that cool general? Connie cracked me up in that one.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think a mod accidentally hit "edit" instead of "quote." The buttons are right next to each other on our screens. I've almost done this a couple of times myself but (as far as I know) always caught it before hitting save.

Thanks for the clarification!

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Eugene being an INTP does make more sense than ISTJ, when I think about it. I guess he is more P than J. That's interesting that Regis Blackard is perhaps an INTJ. It seems like a lot of villains are typed as INTJ. I wonder if there's something to that...

Kurlyjew

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Eugene being an INTP does make more sense than ISTJ, when I think about it. I guess he is more P than J. That's interesting that Regis Blackard is perhaps an INTJ. It seems like a lot of villains are typed as INTJ. I wonder if there's something to that...

Actually, my sister is an INTJ and a devout Christian. While she can be snarky, arrogant, and totally manipulate events; she is also very loyal (although this is never an emotional decision), sticks to her commitments, and always has great ideas for bettering church/community politics, although she prefers not to get involved...or at least that's the air she gives. She also has a very strong moral code (yes, INTJs have moral codes. Who knew?;)) although that code is more of a structure built within her by her own convictions and motivations. She seldom follows anothers moral code, even if (or especially when?) they have authority. When she does "follow" their code, its begrudgingly, and probably only on the surface. All that to say all types have their down falls.. And I know you weren't saying "How can an INTJ not be a villain?" I was just giving you and others a glimpse of what a non-Greg House INTJ looks like, since they are so often portrayed as evil and uncaring in the media. But for the record, my sister would make an AWSOME super-villain :D

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Does anyone have any ideas for the early kid characters? I.e., Lucy, Donna, Jimmy, Robin, Jessie, Kurt, etc.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Does anyone have any ideas for the early kid characters? I.e., Lucy, Donna, Jimmy, Robin, Jessie, Kurt, etc.

Lucy - INFJ
Donna - ESFJ
Jimmy - waffled some on this but I think probably ISFP.
Robin - ESFP
Jessie - ISTP
Kurt - INTP (maybe)

And I'll add Erica Clark - ESFP (my favorite of the short-term kid characters.)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Omg I used to listen to this when I was a kid! :wub: thanks for the nostalgia trip.