• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Edison and Einstein

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
I think that Einstein was a Feeler.

He spent the last years of his life trying to come up with a comprehensive "theory of everything" because he was very upset by the idea that the world doesn't function in a perfectly precise way, which in his opinion would mean that there is a God or that God is totally different from what he thought. Would a thinker really become so obsessed with a vague idea of some kind of God? Plus, Einstein also wrote about pshycis very lovingly. "God doesn't throw dice." What kind of a thinker would become so poetic about science? That's delusional. For thinkers, it has to be hard logic, not furry, fuzzy, blurry emotions.

An Einstein quote: "The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty and Truth." What kind of thinker would really blurt out stuff life that, especially an INTP with virtually no sense of Fi? Einstein seems to be very idealistic, very Fi-driven. I say he's an INFP.

VagrantFarce

Trying to come up with a "theory of everything" is total, unadulterated Ti. Also, his idea of God is a really nice description of Ti:

"I believe in Spinoza's God, Who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

The idea that Thinkers don't believe in god, can't be poetic, don't express emotions...that really is silly. :)

VagrantFarce

enneagram 5 more than Ti. the desire to KNOW.

Not just "know", but to understand - to seek a "theory of everything" is to assume that everything (not just some things, but EVERYTHING) can be understood on a fundamentally logical level - a model of the universe that leaves no stone unturned. That's Dominant-Ti right there. :)

It's the central fallacy of the ITP - that it's only a matter of time before you're absorbed enough information that you'll be able to understand, in advance, the fundamental mechanics of everything. That way you won't have to bother stepping outside of your own shell, because why bother anymore? There's nothing new to find!

deleted
How is that related to Fi or being a feeler, Kaveri? Einstein is a classic INTP, Ti leading, seeking logical precision and a defined and understood world, not moral perfection like an INFP. He may have been a lower T with an amount of F too, but an INTP nonetheless. Introvert, because he was focused on his inner world of ideas, and not all that much on being around and being energized by people.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think that Einstein was a Feeler.

He spent the last years of his life trying to come up with a comprehensive "theory of everything" because he was very upset by the idea that the world doesn't function in a perfectly precise way, which in his opinion would mean that there is a God or that God is totally different from what he thought. Would a thinker really become so obsessed with a vague idea of some kind of God? Plus, Einstein also wrote about pshycis very lovingly. "God doesn't throw dice." What kind of a thinker would become so poetic about science? That's delusional. For thinkers, it has to be hard logic, not furry, fuzzy, blurry emotions.

An Einstein quote: "The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty and Truth." What kind of thinker would really blurt out stuff life that, especially an INTP with virtually no sense of Fi? Einstein seems to be very idealistic, very Fi-driven. I say he's an INFP.

when einstein says god doesn't throw dice he means that everything can be explained logically just because it has a poetic tone doesn't mean an F said it

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not just "know", but to understand - to seek a "theory of everything" is to assume that everything (not just some things, but EVERYTHING) can be understood on a fundamentally logical level - a model of the universe that leaves no stone unturned. That's Dominant-Ti right there. :)

It's the central fallacy of the ITP - that it's only a matter of time before you're absorbed enough information that you'll be able to understand, in advance, the fundamental mechanics of everything. That way you won't have to bother stepping outside of your own shell, because why bother anymore? There's nothing new to find!

again, this is e5. e5 are information junkies. the method that the truth comes to light is one thing, but a grand theory of everything does not preclude other types. it only represents e5, which, un-coincidentally, are often Ti types. but also Ni.

one of my best friends is an intp 5w4. i am an infj 5w4. we are equally cosmological. theory is merely a representative model, a compression of information, and Ti types believe that bc Ti fits story-telling, linear progression, weaving together compositional elements in logical ways, it is the only true way of modeling the universe. our representations, as Ni users, are more expansive. we recognize the universe and the truth of the universe in a different, embodied, whole of the past and bringing infinite context to the near future, kind of way. we see it, and then we communicate it thru action and gestures. the imagination is not secondary to Ti in theory-making. codifiying into form is difficult for everyone, bc it is by necessity leaving something out.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Hee, I admit that I was provocating. I don't really think that Einstein is an INFP, I just wanted to read arguments for why he's a T. It was fun to combine that with some silly stereotypes about MBTI.

One thing that I wonder about is that I relate to nearly everything that Einstein has said about God. In my opinion, too, God can be seen in the precise laws of nature. And I don't think that God necessarily cares about humans and their prayers... not sure about that, though.

Anyway, the point is, I think about God and science and their relationship in a very similar way with Einstein, and I'm not a T. I'm not a 5, either. I'm either a 9w1 or a 4w5 (although I'm not sure if I believe in enneagram in the first place... or MBTI, for that matter xD).

Things like this make me doubt typing. How could my "temperament" predict what I think about God? That's just a silly thought.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Edison was ExTJ because he was a controlling dickhead. Einstein was IxTP because he was a deep thinker.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Einstein: ENTP 5w4 So/Sp
not sure about Edison