• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Charles Darwin?

G

Glycerine

What type is he? I read the first 7 chapters of Origins of Species and wondered what type he was.

G

Glycerine

haha, no wonder why it went over my head half the time. TiNe tends to have the :huh: effect on me. INTP sounds good with strong 9w1 tendencies... he wrote 6 editions to accommodate his skeptics.

*throws a chocolate chip cookie at valuable money"

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
Does anyone think he could be ENTP? I was just reading an essay on him ("Captain FitzRoy's Protege" by Peter Nichols) that says before Darwin sailed on The Beagle, he was a frat boy who liked to party, was socially popular, and who dropped out of medical school (of course, I could just be stereoptyping here).

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
its likely that Wallace (the co discoverer of natural selection) was ENTP

Darwin was INTJ. evolutionary theory was HIGHLY intuitive and not really necessarily something "derived". He gathered so many fucking specimens until it just intuitively jumped out at him one day.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

Darwin was INTJ. evolutionary theory was HIGHLY intuitive and not really necessarily something "derived". He gathered so many fucking specimens until it just intuitively jumped out at him one day.

Agreed. Evolution was a widely-held principle at the time, but no one really knew how it worked; that is, no one understood the process of evolution. Using Ni, Darwin deduced that the variation of kinds were related to the surrounding environment, and using Te, structured it into the process we now know as Natural Selection.

NeTi - hmm, all these animals seem to have adapted to their environment. Maybe that means that all animals are adapted to their environment... so given Environment X, that means an animal that needed to do Y would probably look like this...

NiTe - hmm, it looks like environment is a deciding factor in how these animals took form. Perhaps that means that environment was the driving factor in their development? If that's the case, then it logically follows that all species came to their current form due to environmental pressures. But why is that? Is it because individuals with maladapted traits would quickly die before reproduction?

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4

"Einstein was INTJ. relativity theory was HIGHLY intuitive and not really necessarily something "derived". He gathered so much fucking astronomical data until it just intuitively jumped out at him one day."

Nope. That's INTP territory.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Einstein was INTJ. relativity theory was HIGHLY intuitive and not really necessarily something "derived". He gathered so much fucking astronomical data until it just intuitively jumped out at him one day."

Nope. That's INTP territory.

pfff hahah. you just proved my point. Darwin was out in the field collecting specimens and following his gut. He took 100's of pages to lay out an idea that can now be represented by a few sentences. He was teasing out the Ni. The book was actually supposed to be a "mere abstract". He was forced to hurry his publication because Alfred Wallace (who was even MORE intuitive...ENTP) was corresponding with Darwin about this new fangeled mechanism he (Wallace) had discovered.

there is soooo much Ti bias when ever famous intellectuals come up...the narcissism is hilarious and sad.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd go with a pretty definite INTJ for Darwin.

Writing style is a lot like Jung's (who typed himself as Ni/Te.)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i always heard he typed himself as Ni and Ti.

No, that would contradict his most basic theorem that the top two functions are always opposite directions from each other.

Ni-Ti in practice tends to be an INFJ with poorly developed secondary Fe, but Jung didn't identify himself this way.

G

Glycerine

well this is funny. My first thought was INTJ because I thought he had the "beating the dead horse" writing style (getting really deep on every single point and reiterating them from multiple perspectives) that Ni users tend to have. ;)

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
and the Ti bias continues....

look, if you want to know how a Ti person would have discovered evolution, read about Alfred Wallace (ENTP). Darwin: INTJ.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
Not having read much on Darwin's biography, I think Jung calls him an extraverted thinker. Seeing how Jung uses those terms he seems to consider Darwin an ENTP.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not having read much on Darwin's biography, I think Jung calls him an extraverted thinker. Seeing how Jung uses those terms he seems to consider Darwin an ENTP.

Alfred Wallace was the ENTP...he co discovered evolution. Darwin was sooooo different. Very J, yet very intuitive....INTJ is the best bet (and ive studied this subject a lot). Remember, it was basically known as "natural history" to study this stuff back then...not super Ti theoretical like the Theory of Relativity. We are talking about tons of stupid little notes (again "Natural history"), that then basically were ingested --> 500 page abstract to then "tease out" the theory of natural selection. Its Ni gone wild!

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
What makes everyone think Darwin was an introvert? I'd heard his ability to stay on track and attend classes was woeful. He jumped on a ship and explored the world meeting new races and seeing new habitats. He was driven by what was around him more than anything. He wasn't looking inwards for ideas.