User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Sniffles

I would type Rousseau as INFP. I've read many of his works, and several biographies of the man, and Im currently working on the latest one Jean-Jacques Rousseau: Restless Genius by Leo Damrosch - which goes into considerable detail about his personality.

MBTI
    ERTP

then you know more about him than I do
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    A sort of preliminary concensus seems to have formed regarding the types of great thinkers and philosophers. - While I greatly appreciate the interest and concensus, I simutaneously wish to see if I might be able to shake up some of the established definitions a little. This list will primarily be controversial to those of you who don't believe that E's and/or S's can do philosophy and of course, to those of you who belive all philosophers to be INTP as well

Some of these claims are very well researched on my party, though these are primarily the ones of the Greek/Roman period. I am bothered by the persistant claim that Socrates was an Introvert, which has seemingly very little evidence to back it up.

Contradictions to this typing, as well as all the others are very welcome, especially if they are argued and not just corrected without any attempt to construct a case for the correction in question. - Happy reading

Heraclitus INxJ
    Parmenides INTP
    Empedocles ENTP
    Buddha INFJ
    Socrates ENTP
    Diogenes ESTP
    Plato INFJ
    Xenophon ISTJ
    Aristotle ENTJ
    Epicurus ISTP
    Cicero ENTJ
    Galen ENTJ
    Marcus Aurelius ISFJ
    Origen ENTP
    Tertullian INTJ
    Augustine INFP
    Milton INFP
    Aquinas INFJ
    Dante INFJ
    Plotinus INFJ
    Averroes ENTx
    Muhammad ENTJ
    St. Francis ISFP
    Leibniz INTP
    Descartes INTP
    Machiavelli ENTP
    Spinoza INTP
    Voltaire ENTP
    Da Vinci ENTP
    Calvin INTJ
    Erasmus xNxJ
    Bruno ENTP
    Locke INTx
    Hobbes ISTJ
    Diderot ENTP
    Tocqueville ENTP
    Hume ENTP
    Kant INTP
    Hegel INTP
    Franklin ENTP
    Jefferson INTP
    Rousseau ISFP
    Montesquieu xNTP
    Newton INTP
    Rousseau ISFP
    Goethe xNFJ
    Kierkegaard INFP
    Nietzsche INTJ
    Schopenhauer INFJ
    Wagner ENxJ
    Oscar Wilde ENTP
    Benard Shaw ENTP
    Marx INTP
    Heidegger INTJ
    Hannah Arendt ENTP
    Freud ENTJ
    Adler INTJ
    Jung INFJ (I know he identifies himself as INTP)
    Fromm ENFJ
    Horney INFP
    Sartre INTJ
    de Beauvoir INFJ
    Camus INFP
    Husserl INTP
    Briggs INFP
    Keirsey INTP
    Bertrand Russel ENTP
    H.J. Eysenck ENTJ
    I. Yalom INFJ
    Rand INTJ
    Dennett ENTP
    Foucault ENTP
    Derrida INTP
    Deleuze INTP
    Lacan ENTP
    Luc Ferry ENTP
    Richard Rorty INTJ
    Popper INTx
    Einstein INTP
    Habermas INTP
    Richard Dawkins ENTP
    Christopher Hitchens INTJ
    Zizek ENxP
    Steven Pinker ENTP
    Bluewing INTP
    Blackwater ENTP
    Justify the conclusion that Camus is an INFP.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

there is an overwhelming Ti bias here that needs a swift kick in the ass:

Newton, Jefferson: INTJ

Kant, definitely INTJ.

He's practically known as the guy who REMOVED reason in order to bring back faith and morality...there is Fi at work in the background. Nietzsche especially points out that Kant had "other motives" beyond simple reason.

I also question Dawkins's type. My guess is ENTJ. He's consistently produces books. He is constantly focused on his one mission of "rational atheism". Constrasting him to Dennett (who i can totally see the ENTP), Dawkins seems rather TJ. When on TV with friendlies he seems quite extraverted. on tv with "enemies" hes VERY reserved and concise with his words.

I also question Locke's typing as a INTX. In his early years he was very unquestioning and basically parotted the hobbesian status quo of conservatives, where the people were inherently evil and the state needed fuck shit up. He then later grew some balls. I think Locke might have been an S. S's can quite naturally be into politics, and its only natural that with the hobbesian views of that era he would need to "dabble" in other philosophy. I think Lock was possibly an ESTJ

MBTI
    ERTP

Bluewing:

Camus: Thinking it over again I don't know. I simply don't know. The Sisyphus-myth reads like an INFP trying to be philosophic IMO but his novels read like bad INFJ. Eigther way, he has fallen a lot in my esteem lately.

Babylon Candle:

Newton: I waive the typing. See above.

Jefferson: A will-less, timid analytic temper. INTJ?

Kant: "Man is not so completely an animal as to be indifferent as to everything that reasons says on its on and to use it merely as a tool to satisfy his needs." - This the words of a Te-user?

And don't use Nietzsches critique of Kant for anything except to read Nietzsche himself.

Dawkins: I would agree to an outside chance of ENTJ. But I still lean towards a melancholy ENTP. ENTPs can be over-formal at times you know. But the true give-away is the manner in which he pieces together arguments from a virtual torrent of abstract knowledge and then stands back, confident that the impression itself will do the work of convincing.

Locke: Possibly an S, yes. I can agree to hold that plausible. Though he seems essentially introverted to me, still. Ironically enough, an Extrovert might be more objective about his subject matter than the case was. What I am saying is that Locke sometimes looses himself in subjective arguments relevant only to himself. This suggests I to me, and if S, ISTJ.
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I would type Rousseau as INFP. I've read many of his works, and several biographies of the man, and Im currently working on the latest one Jean-Jacques Rousseau: Restless Genius by Leo Damrosch - which goes into considerable detail about his personality.
    I guess the Social Contract is FiNe trying to understand how this imperceptible Fe business actually works.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Kant: "Man is not so completely an animal as to be indifferent as to everything that reasons says on its own and to use it merely as a tool to satisfy his needs." - This the words of a Te-user?
    Kant was so idealistic (Fi) that he would say something like that, and then turn around and say something like this: I had to deny knowledge in order to make room for faith.

Kant's treatment of the concept of God and religion in his critical philosophy, however, does not consist merely in this negative result that we must block reason from taking us along the theoretical paths that rationalist metaphysics had claimed will lead to a proof of God's existence. He argues that once we have disciplined human reason to stay off that theoretical path, we are then in a position to make an affirmation of God on the basis of what he terms the practical, i.e., moral, use of reason. As he writes in the Preface to the second edition of the Critique of Pure Reason (1787), I had to deny knowledge in order to make room for faith. He thus proposes what has come to be known as his moral argument for God and the immortality of the soul. In connection with this argument he also develops the concept of moral faith. Key elements of Kant's moral argument are first presented in the Transcendental Doctrine of Method, which is the final part of the Critique of Pure Reason, and are then further developed in The Dialectic of Pure Practical Reason of the Critique of Practical Reason (1788) and in 8691 of the Critique of the Power of Judgment (1790). Elements of the notion of moral faith are found in the same texts, as well as in Religion within the Bounds of Mere Reason (1793).
    Te and Fi.

What about Wittgenstein?

An INJ for sure. T or F? Not sure.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

infj 100%

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP