Sniffles

Hitchens is definately an ENTP.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Fine if you call it a game. But continuous research of some of the people on the list can tell us the proper type of them.

My point is just that, given the nature of 'typing', no amount of research will ever yield anything more than speculation. To be sure- it could mean the difference between loose speculation and/or speculation that one can be absolutely confident about- but it's always speculation none-the-less.

I don’t mean to sound snarky- but I guess I don’t understand what the harm is in people practicing ‘typing’ with each other. I’ve noticed some people tend to get uptight about it when they see others ‘typing’ (i.e. Jaguar might be “some people”). But ‘typing’ people (celebrities, philosophers, whatever) is an effective way of getting to better understand MBTI types and functions. And I think philosophers are especially helpful to practice ‘typing’ because we have access to much more than their public persona.

[It's possible I should have started a separate thread for this. Sorry about the derailing.]
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

^ Well there's no point to all this 'typing' if it's wrong. It's a double-edged sword. It may help you type people but at the same time it may cause the opposite affect and teach you to mistype people. Many people on these forums are not exactly 'fully knowledgeable' when it comes to typing people and as long as their half-assed knowledge is going around it can confuse a lot of people. I too may also get a bit uptight when I see others 'typing'.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

deleuze not entp? he seems more Ne dom?
    zizek my guess is entp
    machiavelli entj
    kant i became convinced about intj, but intp would not surprise me at all
    jefferson i always heard intj, either way i like him
    keirsey types himself as intj i thought
    habermas makes more sense to me as intj

schopenhauer iv'e heard both intj and infj, don't know him that well but am interested
    hannah arendt is entp? feel pretty good about that?
    jung i'm still not sure about, the rigour seems intense but the feel i get is infj
    sartre is an intj? he was such a public intellectual. the rigour is similar to intj rigour. i wouldn't be surprised about intp tho or even entp.

hegel i can see as an intp or an infj. but intp is my leaning, i think.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

de Beauvoir INFJ
    I'm thinking Simone De Beauvoir is INFP. It's been a while since I read her work, but I remember thinking it was way too over-emotional for my own tastes.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    ^ Well there's no point to all this 'typing' if it's wrong. It's a double-edged sword. It may help you type people but at the same time it may cause the opposite affect and teach you to mistype people. Many people on these forums are not exactly 'fully knowledgeable' when it comes to typing people and as long as their half-assed knowledge is going around it can confuse a lot of people. I too may also get a bit uptight when I see others 'typing'.
    Well said.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Diogenes ESTP

He always struck me as ISTP.

Although I could see ESTP considering his hatred of abstract theory definitly pointed towards a hardcore S.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    ERTP

Matthew_Z: Newton's fourth letter is especially hard, seems almost lost to history. - The fact that he was so neurotic also clouds out his type.

The_Liquid_Laser: When you look at what Aristotle did he was more of a compiler/catalogizer of previous thought than a thinker in his own right. I know this sounds strange, but the fact of the matter is that most of what we know of earlier Greek thought today, we know because of Aristotle's commentary. - He essentially systematized and preserved earlier knowledge. - He also seems to have been very competitive; what we have of his writings we have because of attempts to reign in students from other academies. - One example would be his "Rhetoric" which seems to be a work written purely for gain/ esteem in the outer world.

(I take it for granted that there can be no doubt towards Aristotle being a T-dom NT.)

Jefferson's cognitive processes could conform to INTJ in theory, yet his actual personality, timid and drivin by principles rather than by will suggests INTP to me.

Newton: I'm ready to cease the INTP typing. (see above)

Peguy: I'm curious as to what you'd type Rousseau? - Do I need to argue for him being Fi-dom? - Or just the S part? - I think S because he does not follow his reflections very far along but seems to stop at "once we abolish sin/ the discontents of civilization everything will be in order all by itself."

Z Buck McFate: Socrates is perhaps the most well-researced claim in my entire list. I can understand why you think he was an F compared to Aristotle, but look at it this way: Aristotle was a dominant T, Socrates a dominant N. Superficially, the wild associations and springy nature of N (especially Ne) can seem like F, but would a feeler ever set about questioning people like this:

Marcus Aurelius: If he was an N he was not a very visionary one. Remember, rather than he had access to the best philosophical schooling of his day, all the way from childbirth. - And would a person who naturally looking along the big lines of things really need to constantly remind himself to look at the big picture?

Still, he might be INFJ, though well-read, well-bread ISFJ is more likely.

Freud: Freud did _not_ come up with anything all by himself. Freud syntetizized existing abstract theories and crafted a very hands-on system of psychology from them. Introducing circular reasoning, this reminds me of Aristotle

de Beauvoir had her self-esteem etc. desvastated by Sartre on a regular basis, that might account for all the F in there. The surest demarcation line though, is the fact that there is *no* Ne in her what so ever.

Nunki: I'll buy Hegel as INFJ for the reasons you stated. Good one

Ragingkatsuki: You contribute nothing to this thread and when people like Z Buck McFate try to engage you constructively you just whine. Pitifully.

the state i am in: I'd totally take Deleuze to be ENTP from his writings, though in real life he was very shy, fragile, conservative, risk-avoidant and so on. Still, he could be a very strange ENTP.

Zizek: I tend to agree but we've got to leave some of the cool ENPs to the ENFPs, right?

I used to think that Machiavelli was ENTJ, but he is all about perception and historical comparisons and associations. - When ENTJs deal with history in their writings they tend to compile and mimick. Machiavelli extrancts original thoughts and recommendations from the historical litterature, without holding himself party to any historical actor.

Kant's last letter is hard. I think INTP because there is very little ego in his writings; he seems to be interested in pure reason for its own sake, rather than setting about to reason in order to accomplish something.

Keirsey types himself as INTP in Please Understand Me II. I have no knowledge of him outside of his books.

I know many people who for some reason thing that Habermas is a J, which is a pretty certain he is not. His core value is that people who argue openly, free of retorical antics and on conditions designed to make the rational position shine through. In short, he thinks everyone ought to be an INTP

Schopenhauer: *could* be a T, though INJ for sure. Still, his melancholy and suffering suggests F, compare with Nietzsche who champions might and power instead.

I am open to a better suggesion on Arendt. - I only read the Human Condition. - What's your take?

Jung many people have noted how he laboured to write in another manner than the one that came naturally to his. Concessions to science.

The next most likely type for Sarte was ENTP. INTJ/ENTP are mirror images of each other, remember - Though his wild inconsistancies and perpetual certainty in tandem suggest INTJ to a degree that is quite beyond doubt to me.
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

@Blackwater, that is interesting about Aristotle. I want to look into him more now. Your description of him is different than my first impression.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ERTP

Why I think Kant is INTP:

Kant: "Man is not so completely an animal as to be indifferent as to everything that reasons says on its on and to use it merely as a tool to satisfy his needs."

Nietzsche: "“What is good? – All that heightens the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself in man."

Ayn Rand: "Love is the assertion of your own needs and values. It is for your own happiness that you need the person you love.”
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/