• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Al Gore's type

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
But isn't being concerned about global warming a Feeling perspective? I mean, it seems to be based on a concern/compassion for human life. That isn't very impersonal. Also, since he doesn't care how it makes him look, that hints that it's Fi > Fe... so that still means INFP or ISTJ.

I would not attribute this strictly to Feeling. His pursuit of the global warming campaign does not tell us anything about how he either is personal or impersonal Thinkers tend to employ a Utilitarian approach to ethics because of their strong sense of fairness. Desirable is what benefits the most people as this will create an environment where the highest degree of autonomy can be attained. We are concerned with this because we know that this leads to objective good, for it has nothing to do with being concerned with the feelings of others. You can always assess the essence of 'good' bypass feelings. Thoughts and Intuitions, especially the former would be more than appropriate instruments to utilize. (I am using the two within the sphere of Jungian jargon)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was being serious. The man knows what he's doing. I don't think he's an N however because he tends to be very practically minded and more effective in terms of strategy. N/s tend to less organized and absent-minded. Not Gore

Actually NTs are the chieftain strategists. That is because they see the big picture clearly and are able to make impersonal decisions in regards ot what they see.Sensors are the tacticians. You can think of strategy as a large field tactics enterprise. The superior version thereof. Yes, Intuitors tend to be less organized than Sensors, but not significantly. That is primarily a matter of a J/P discrepancy. Gore does not seem to have a great deal of potential to become a skilled logistician in a way that we can expect a sensor to.

FreedomofSpeech

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NT
Actually NTs are the chieftain strategists. That is because they see the big picture clearly and are able to make impersonal decisions in regards ot what they see.Sensors are the tacticians. You can think of strategy as a large field tactics enterprise. The superior version thereof. Yes, Intuitors tend to be less organized than Sensors, but not significantly. That is primarily a matter of a J/P discrepancy. Gore does not seem to have a great deal of potential to become a skilled logistician in a way that we can expect a sensor to.

That's odd, because I think Obama or Hillary Clinton are more typically "N" types who lack Gore's Sensor Tactics. I mean, how many politicans are like Gore- who sets up his own channel and wins the Nobel Prize? It's much more of a strategic ESTJ mindset with his right hand woman (or man) being his INFJ voice.

Obama's got America in terms of Emotional control, and Hillary's got America in terms of Media control- but Gore's got the rest of the population. Only an ESTJ can accomplish that.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's odd, because I think Obama or Hillary Clinton are more typically "N" types who lack Gore's Sensor Tactics. I mean, how many politicans are like Gore- who sets up his own channel and wins the Nobel Prize? It's much more of a strategic ESTJ mindset with his right hand woman (or man) being his INFJ voice.

Obama's got America in terms of Emotional control, and Hillary's got America in terms of Media control- but Gore's got the rest of the population. Only an ESTJ can accomplish that.

Gore was not the implementor, he was the big picture strategist. His minions came up with the practical way to carry out his idea of a global warming campaign, not him. Don't know anything about Obama, but Hillary appears to be an INTJ. She is more Intuitive than Gore, as Introverted Intuition is her dominant function.

FreedomofSpeech

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NT
Gore was not the implementor, he was the big picture strategist. His minions came up with the practical way to carry out his idea of a global warming campaign, not him. Don't know anything about Obama, but Hillary appears to be an INTJ. She is more Intuitive than Gore, as Introverted Intuition is her dominant function.

Oh come on BW, Gore's been giving that global warming speech since he was an undergraduate. If he hired his right hand man to think up a filmic strategy to distribute to Hollywood, then how does that change his big picture status? He knew what he was doing all along, and he got his right hand man implement the strategy. It's ESTJ thinking at its best.

And ENTJ would've come up with her own strategy, whether it was popular or not, she would've wanted to implement it herself.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
He came up with the mere idea pertaining to the global warming campaign. That is still big picture thinking as what he came up with is the idea that it is desirable to do something about global warming on the theoretical level as this would be of high utility. Environmental concerns have been consistently present in the scopes of thought of scientists and philosophers throughout history. He did not carry through with the logistics of setting up a campaign or with plans on how this is to be done. That is all the work of his assistants. It is the latter that pertains most to the SJ thinking which Gore had none of.

FreedomofSpeech

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NT
He came up with the mere idea pertaining to the global warming campaign. That is still big picture thinking as what he came up with is the idea that it is desirable to do something about global warming on the theoretical level as this would be of high utility. He did not carry through with the logistics of setting up a campaign or with plans on how this is to be done. That is all the work of his assistants. It is the latter that pertains most to the SJ thinking which Gore had none of.

I can't imagine Gore having a lack of SJ thinking- in fact, I think he probably motivates others to become more SJ. It\s only natural if he has his minions do his work for him, I mean, what are personal assistants and secretaries for?

Come on BW, Gore is practically minded- he likes instant results, which makes him more respected. Hillary Clinton is more future-oriented, in which most of her plans will be implemented 5-10 years from now. For Gore, it's NOW, that is most important, and to me that is representative of an ESTJ type of thinking, and you know what? We can't function in society without them They get things done.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't imagine Gore having a lack of SJ thinking- in fact, I think he probably motivates others to become more SJ. It\s only natural if he has his minions do his work for him, I mean, what are personal assistants and secretaries for?

Come on BW, Gore is practically minded- he likes instant results, which makes him more respected. Hillary Clinton is more future-oriented, in which most of her plans will be implemented 5-10 years from now. For Gore, it's NOW, that is most important, and to me that is representative of an ESTJ type of thinking, and you know what? We can't function in society without them They get things done.

I do not see how Gore is present oriented as opposed to future oriented. Seems like he merely propounds plans and then follows through on the advice of his SJ assistants on how to carry them out because he himself does not know any better when it comes to activities like this.

FreedomofSpeech

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NT
I do not see how Gore is present oriented as opposed to future oriented. Seems like he merely propounds plans and then follows through on the advice of his SJ assistants on how to carry them out because he himself does not know any better when it comes to activities like this.

I don't think you give him enough credit. I think he trusts certain people-but he would never make decision overriding his own authority.

ESTJ.

He's more attached to the now- than the future. I would think if he were an ENTJ- he would think- OK, you have no experience, but I believe in you.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think you give him enough credit. I think he trusts certain people-but he would never make decision overriding his own authority..
On what grounds do you maintain that Gore is more easily persuaded by the mere status of authority as opposed to sound reasoning?

He's more attached to the now- than the future..
On what grounds?

I would think if he were an ENTJ- he would think- OK, you have no experience, but I believe in you.

Again, what reason do we have to think that he is a more experience, as well as a status oriented thinker than a reason-oriented, much like an SJ would be. You continue to claim that he has all of these SJ characteristics, yet provide no explanation for why you claim the notions that you do.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Unfortunately democracy does not give the best result.
The irony is evident.

In America "the best man man wins" ..
A ballot philosophy, eh?

The best man does not win in the election system.

Democracy made Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot.
Not the autocracy.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Unfortunately democracy does not give the best result.
The irony is evident.

In America "the best man man wins" ..
A ballot philosophy, eh?

The best man does not win in the election system.

Democracy made Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot.
Not the autocracy.

Democracy is a necessary evil because it provides the most reliable means to the end of avoiding totalitarianism.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/117/features-gore.html said:
One problem he had in politics, he says, was identifying an issue too early--"'predawn' is the term I use"--to be able to act on it. But "in the business world, particularly at a time when things are moving so swiftly, if you can see it early, you can make a business opportunity out of it." He pauses. "For whatever reason, the business world rewards a long-term perspective more than the political world does."

I feel Gore has a peculiar and brilliant combination of facts and long-term vision. Over and over we can see his respect for facts (see Letterman interview). He seems very much to be an empiricist. Some would say that is sensorish, but if you combine it with his future orientation, it becomes quite NT. I think the enormous respect of facts comes from Te. Facts + future, just taste it … I feel that is Te and Ni … So I am going with ENTJ …

http://cognitiveprocesses.com/extravertedthinking.html said:
Extraverted Thinking helps us organize our environment and ideas through charts, tables, graphs, flow charts, outlines, and so on. At its most sophisticated, this process is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively. Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone’s ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else’s thought process.

I feel Gore is more of a Te thinker than Ti thinkers. Perhaps one could say Te thinking tend to be empiricist, while Ti thinking tend to be rationalist?

He didn't seem intelligent or abstract.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore said:
In preparation for his college applications, Gore scored a 1355 on his SAT (625 in verbal and 730 in math). [9] Al Gore's IQ scores, from tests administered at St. Alban's School in 1961 and 1964 (his freshman and senior years) respectively, have been recorded as 133 and 134. [9]

It feels like you underestimate the whole guy. And let's be honest, underestimation, might lead to a sensor reading …

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have to agree with BlueWing. (Did I just say that? ;)) Everyone is focusing on the Global Warming issue, which he is most known for, but his most recent book is called "The Assault on Reason". The title alone should clear up any misconceptions that he is a feeler. Additionally the idea that he wants to defend "Reason" is more of a Ti concept. He isn't defending "Justice" or "Integrity", but simply "Reason". He wants people to develop Ti critical thinking skills. I can't think of a pursuit that would fit an INTP more.

Also his biggest fault has been his dry delivery, a fault most common among INTP's. ENTJ's are not dry. Being extraverted it is not hard for an ENTJ to appear passionate, or even warm and jovial if they choose. An ENTJ would have to worry more about appearing too angry or authoritarian. Even though Al Gore is obviously passionate about Global Warming you wouldn't know it based on his presentation. He relies on cold dry facts, and his presentation lacks passion. He is clearly INTP.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
his most recent book is called "The Assault on Reason". The title alone should clear up any misconceptions that he is a feeler. Additionally the idea that he wants to defend "Reason" is more of a Ti concept.

Your first point here is very good, after this, it is hard to type him as a feeler. But is he necessarily a Ti thinker? Again, I see him more as an extroverted thinker. He seems very empirically inclined … Again, just how concerned he is with facts, seems to be a main trait of his. And when he discussed his book on Letterman, I felt his main concern was, that people no longer respect facts, and that that is the attack on reason, that is what drives them to make bad decisions. I feel that is more Te than Ti …

Also his biggest fault has been his dry delivery, a fault most common among INTP's. ENTJ's are not dry. Being extraverted it is not hard for an ENTJ to appear passionate, or even warm and jovial if they choose.

I feel this argument is based on stereotypes. Both ENTJs and INTPs can appear dry and impassionate. Not that Al Gore appear as either to me. He can be very self-ironic. What I find characteristic about Al Gore though, is that I feel he has a very confident, powerful presence. I think he has a great voice. Is that presence more ENTJ-ish?

developer

MBTI Type
INTJ
What an interesting discussion this has turned out to be! I am quite pleased - after a day I thought nobody would care.

I have one question for all of you:

If I remember correctly, the following types have been attributed to Mr. Gore in this thread: ENTJ, ESTJ, INTJ, INTP, INFP, INFJ. This is interesting. The man was Vice President of the US, ran for presidency once, and is obviously one of the most famous persons in the world. All of you know him and have heard him speak (maybe more often than some of you would like to). So, why is it possible that a forum of MBTI afficionados comes to such contrasting views? I think there could be hardly more difference than that between ENTJ and INFJ, or ESTJ and INTP, if you think of it. What does that tell us about our everyday use of MBTI ? What does it mean for discussions in this forum where people say "may friend who is an INFJ....does this and this.." ?

Any thoughts ?

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The weak democracy of the Weimar failed to prevent Nazi rule. Subversion of a structurally flawed, particular implementation of a system does not invalidate the system.

Read history.
Read it yourself.

On topic: Al Gore is an ISTJ. Close thread.

creativeRhino

MBTI Type
INTJ
The trouble with democracy is that no matter who you vote for a politician gets elected. :steam:

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
I've always typed him as INTP regardless of what the "type" pages say. He is obviously very intelligent and quite a deliberate and dominant thinker. At the same time his delivery is so dry that I can only imagine him as INTP.

The three major INTP historical figures I know about were anything but dry.

"I cannot believe that God plays dice with the universe."
"When in the course of human events....."
"Fourscore and seven years ago...."

If dryness is the criterion, try INTJ.