User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Al Gore's type

MBTI
    INTP

Unfortunately democracy does not give the best result.
    The irony is evident.

In America "the best man man wins" ..
    A ballot philosophy, eh?

The best man does not win in the election system.

Democracy made Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot.
    Not the autocracy.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Unfortunately democracy does not give the best result.
    The irony is evident.

In America "the best man man wins" ..
    A ballot philosophy, eh?

The best man does not win in the election system.

Democracy made Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot.
    Not the autocracy.
    Democracy is a necessary evil because it provides the most reliable means to the end of avoiding totalitarianism.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Democracy is a necessary evil because it provides the most reliable means to the end of avoiding totalitarianism.
    Read history.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/117/features-gore.html
    One problem he had in politics, he says, was identifying an issue too early--"'predawn' is the term I use"--to be able to act on it. But "in the business world, particularly at a time when things are moving so swiftly, if you can see it early, you can make a business opportunity out of it." He pauses. "For whatever reason, the business world rewards a long-term perspective more than the political world does."
    I feel Gore has a peculiar and brilliant combination of facts and long-term vision. Over and over we can see his respect for facts (see Letterman interview). He seems very much to be an empiricist. Some would say that is sensorish, but if you combine it with his future orientation, it becomes quite NT. I think the enormous respect of facts comes from Te. Facts + future, just taste it … I feel that is Te and Ni … So I am going with ENTJ …

Quote Originally Posted by http://cognitiveprocesses.com/extravertedthinking.html
    Extraverted Thinking helps us organize our environment and ideas through charts, tables, graphs, flow charts, outlines, and so on. At its most sophisticated, this process is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively. Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone’s ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else’s thought process.
    I feel Gore is more of a Te thinker than Ti thinkers. Perhaps one could say Te thinking tend to be empiricist, while Ti thinking tend to be rationalist?

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    He didn't seem intelligent or abstract.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore
    In preparation for his college applications, Gore scored a 1355 on his SAT (625 in verbal and 730 in math). [9] Al Gore's IQ scores, from tests administered at St. Alban's School in 1961 and 1964 (his freshman and senior years) respectively, have been recorded as 133 and 134. [9]
    It feels like you underestimate the whole guy. And let's be honest, underestimation, might lead to a sensor reading …

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I have to agree with BlueWing. (Did I just say that? ) Everyone is focusing on the Global Warming issue, which he is most known for, but his most recent book is called "The Assault on Reason". The title alone should clear up any misconceptions that he is a feeler. Additionally the idea that he wants to defend "Reason" is more of a Ti concept. He isn't defending "Justice" or "Integrity", but simply "Reason". He wants people to develop Ti critical thinking skills. I can't think of a pursuit that would fit an INTP more.

Also his biggest fault has been his dry delivery, a fault most common among INTP's. ENTJ's are not dry. Being extraverted it is not hard for an ENTJ to appear passionate, or even warm and jovial if they choose. An ENTJ would have to worry more about appearing too angry or authoritarian. Even though Al Gore is obviously passionate about Global Warming you wouldn't know it based on his presentation. He relies on cold dry facts, and his presentation lacks passion. He is clearly INTP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    his most recent book is called "The Assault on Reason". The title alone should clear up any misconceptions that he is a feeler. Additionally the idea that he wants to defend "Reason" is more of a Ti concept.
    Your first point here is very good, after this, it is hard to type him as a feeler. But is he necessarily a Ti thinker? Again, I see him more as an extroverted thinker. He seems very empirically inclined … Again, just how concerned he is with facts, seems to be a main trait of his. And when he discussed his book on Letterman, I felt his main concern was, that people no longer respect facts, and that that is the attack on reason, that is what drives them to make bad decisions. I feel that is more Te than Ti …

Also his biggest fault has been his dry delivery, a fault most common among INTP's. ENTJ's are not dry. Being extraverted it is not hard for an ENTJ to appear passionate, or even warm and jovial if they choose.
    I feel this argument is based on stereotypes. Both ENTJs and INTPs can appear dry and impassionate. Not that Al Gore appear as either to me. He can be very self-ironic. What I find characteristic about Al Gore though, is that I feel he has a very confident, powerful presence. I think he has a great voice. Is that presence more ENTJ-ish?

MBTI
    INTJ

What an interesting discussion this has turned out to be! I am quite pleased - after a day I thought nobody would care.

I have one question for all of you:

If I remember correctly, the following types have been attributed to Mr. Gore in this thread: ENTJ, ESTJ, INTJ, INTP, INFP, INFJ. This is interesting. The man was Vice President of the US, ran for presidency once, and is obviously one of the most famous persons in the world. All of you know him and have heard him speak (maybe more often than some of you would like to). So, why is it possible that a forum of MBTI afficionados comes to such contrasting views? I think there could be hardly more difference than that between ENTJ and INFJ, or ESTJ and INTP, if you think of it. What does that tell us about our everyday use of MBTI ? What does it mean for discussions in this forum where people say "may friend who is an INFJ....does this and this.." ?

Any thoughts ?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

The weak democracy of the Weimar failed to prevent Nazi rule. Subversion of a structurally flawed, particular implementation of a system does not invalidate the system.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Read history.
    Read it yourself.

On topic: Al Gore is an ISTJ. Close thread.

MBTI
    INTJ

The trouble with democracy is that no matter who you vote for a politician gets elected. :steam:

MBTI
    INTP

I've always typed him as INTP regardless of what the "type" pages say. He is obviously very intelligent and quite a deliberate and dominant thinker. At the same time his delivery is so dry that I can only imagine him as INTP.
    The three major INTP historical figures I know about were anything but dry.

"I cannot believe that God plays dice with the universe."
    "When in the course of human events....."
    "Fourscore and seven years ago...."

If dryness is the criterion, try INTJ.