• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Al Gore's type

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
What an interesting discussion this has turned out to be! I am quite pleased - after a day I thought nobody would care.

I have one question for all of you:

If I remember correctly, the following types have been attributed to Mr. Gore in this thread: ENTJ, ESTJ, INTJ, INTP, INFP, INFJ. This is interesting. The man was Vice President of the US, ran for presidency once, and is obviously one of the most famous persons in the world. All of you know him and have heard him speak (maybe more often than some of you would like to). So, why is it possible that a forum of MBTI afficionados comes to such contrasting views? I think there could be hardly more difference than that between ENTJ and INFJ, or ESTJ and INTP, if you think of it. What does that tell us about our everyday use of MBTI ? What does it mean for discussions in this forum where people say "may friend who is an INFJ....does this and this.." ?

Any thoughts ?

I have one. The Al Gore we saw who ran for President and lost seemed stiff, wooden, and so rational he was teased for being a robot. The Al Gore who emerged after that had a beard, was playful, and altogether was a changed man. Having a public face and a private face is probably more SJ than NT.

One thing I read - forgotten where - indicated his entire career up to that point had been an attempt to live up to his father's expectations and to do what his father would approve of. That brought me down firmly on the SJ side of the fence.

The Gore we're seeing now is more himself, but still seems to have slipped back into the manners and bearing he was reared to believe was expected of a public figure. I'm going to come down on the SJ side.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I would say either INTJ or ENTJ. He's so NTJ it's just not funny...

Clearcut Enneagram 1w9

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It feels like you underestimate the whole guy. And let's be honest, underestimation, might lead to a sensor reading …
How is underestimation Sensor like? I thought Sensing trusted in the establishment. What does that have to do with underestimation? This makes no sense to me. Are you suggesting that iNtuitives tend to overestimate? If that is the case, they will tend to reach false conclusions because of this. I'm not convinced of either assumption.

Gore strikes me as ?T?J. I'm not invested enough to nail down the Sensor vs. iNtuitive bit in his case. If I had to wager my best guess, I'd say XSTJ.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
How is underestimation Sensor like? I thought Sensing trusted in the establishment. What does that have to do with underestimation? This makes no sense to me..

Yes, you got it all wrong. What I say is, when we underestimate people, we more easily type them as S. It is because we see intuition as a good quality, as opposed to sensing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We've beaten this out before on INTPc in the past. (Of course, no one would accede the victory.)

I still see him as an ISTJ with a strong Te, who was forced to behave in ways that were not "him" for so long to live up to his renown father (also a senator). He was always extending himself into areas he was not suited for. (Losing the presidency was seriously the best thing that EVER happened to him, in terms of personal growth. And that has borne itself out.)

As a minor second option, I would allow an ENTJ with a weak N... but I don't think he extroverts well. It always felt like a costume, like the scared little geekboy trying to wear his father's clothes and be the smartest and most commanding person around.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
EDIT: Grr...post got eaten. Ah screw it. Short version is I think Gore is INTP.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, you got it all wrong. What I say is, when we underestimate people, we more easily type them as S. It is because we see intuition as a good quality, as opposed to sensing.
That assumption was not clear in your former post, which could have meant a variety of things.

I'm not in the camp that says Sensors are less, although I am likely influenced by hearing many such comments.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I'm sorry, but every INTP I've ever known is *clever*. As in effortless, spontaneous wit.

Al Gore isn't clever. He's deliberate and thoughtful.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
INTJ. Based on what I know about him he seems to have a very strong Ni-based inner drive expressed in a "cool," reasoned, policy wonk-like fashion ("Mr. Robot"). His father seemed to have pushed him to have an E-style public life that I don't think Al was ever comfortable with (and it showed in the 2000 election), the loss freed him up to express his dominant Ni drive on his own terms.