• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Erasmus

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I wonder why Erasmus hasn't been typed. I think he would represent a welcome NF break in that world of NT philosophers.

Desiderius Erasmus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know him well. Him and his buddy Thomas More were pet subjects of mine for a few years...

I'd say More was a fine candidate for a very healthy ENTP (a role model for the likes of us!), which, given that he and Erasmus got on famously, gives a clue perhaps...

Reading Moriae Encomium can be enlightening, but it's hard to say how much of the attitude espoused is down to the fashion of the intellectual elite of the time, and how much was really him. I might hazard him as an INTJ...? I get the feeling he might've come across quite a bit like Captain Picard...

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
i agree with the thomas moore entp-thing. like socrates he put his ass on the line for something he believed in.

with erasmus its just... i get this NF feeling which i cant explain...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
i agree with the thomas moore entp-thing. like socrates he put his ass on the line for something he believed in.

with erasmus its just... i get this NF feeling which i cant explain...

I know what you mean, I was in two minds about that... thinking about how he sorta mocks the stoic approach of 'wise men' in ME, but as I say, that could partly be because subversion and paradox were all the rage at the time.

I can't imagine him being ENFJ, cos More's wife didn't like him and a lot of people didn't like him face to face, so he can't have had brilliant Fe. ENFP - nah, he was too staid, too bookish for that. INFP - well, possibly... but again I can't imagine INFP's having people react to them the way they did to Erasmus - some foreign ambassadors wrote that he was 'disgusting' - I can't see that word being used of an INFP. And INFJ... he seemed too interested in influencing the world around him to be INFJ.

Which is why I fell onto the NT side, though I agree it's not ideal...

I can't figure whether his keenness on spreading his ideas and influencing people/society were due to extraversion or J-ness...

He could even be an S, y'know... thinking about it... in fact I wouldn't put it past him to have been possibly ISTJ... not a stereotypical one, but like ISTJ's often go when they decide to not be stereotypical... lol

Reason I say that is because I realised that I instinctively though 'not INFJ' because he was distinctly un-dreamy, quite a big fan of the real world and evidence and facts and stuff...