• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

James Lipton

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Anyone have any theories on James Lipton from Inside the Actor's Studio?

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
How he constantly messes around about how he wants a tattoo seems a bit P to me though. Even though I feel he might have a J presence, it makes me wonder if I am being tricked …

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
How he constantly messes around about how he wants a tattoo seems a bit P to me though. Even though I feel he might have a J presence, it makes me wonder if I am being tricked ...

Splittet, Js can have tattoos. :yes: ;)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Splittet, Js can have tattoos. :yes: ;)

Yes, they can, but the guy is in acting, a field dominated by perceivers, and perceivers are also more likely than judgers to have and want tattoos (I don’t have any numbers, but let’s say I have a strong feeling). It all just makes me kind of doubt the assessment. But it’s just that, doubt … Personally I am just not sure what to think.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Anyone have any theories on James Lipton from Inside the Actor's Studio?
It was the mother of my daughter who brought my attention to James.
She said this is a curious chap. I had never heard of Jamie.

I knew of the Jillinger thing opposite the Russian Tea Shop. That is the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. I had some recordings made in the Carnegie Hall. This place existed in their attic.

In New York there were three schools of the Drama. One was the Method school, the other was the Jillinger school and the third establishment was the Studio.

I do not get it. There can exist only two philosophies in acting, not three. Either you go by the feel, or then you go by the repertoire.

I was against the repertoire. When I saw the Winslow Boy, I knew I had been in the wrong.

Marlon and James went about by the feel. They mumbled.

It was sexy yes. If it was great acting was another matter.

Marlon did not speak many words in the Godfather either.
What he spoke was a mumble.

Sexy? Marlon was already over fifty.
Not sexy. Just mumble.

Do not mumble.
When you enter the coffee shop or the diner and you order your cappucino with a croissant, speak out loud.

One thing about the tip.
If you mumble pay double.
If you are mean do not mumble. If you mumble do not be mean.
There is a limit to everything.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, they can, but the guy is in acting, a field dominated by perceivers, and perceivers are also more likely than judgers to have and want tattoos (I don't have any numbers, but let's say I have a strong feeling). It all just makes me kind of doubt the assessment. But it's just that, doubt … Personally I am just not sure what to think.

You're thinking too hard -- looking too much at a few pieces and over-magnifying them.

When you step back and look at the actual person holistically, the J reading is very clear simply in how he naturally controls/maintains his outer image. He's very J in simply how he carries and presents himself; it's the calm and compassion and goodwill inside of him that gives him any sense of relaxation... which is typical for those with internal perception (Ni or Si).

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
You're thinking too hard -- looking too much at a few pieces and over-magnifying them.

When you step back and look at the actual person holistically, the J reading is very clear simply in how he naturally controls/maintains his outer image. He's very J in simply how he carries and presents himself; it's the calm and compassion and goodwill inside of him that gives him any sense of relaxation... which is typical for those with internal perception (Ni or Si).

I hate what you are saying here, as if I am focusing on an irrelevant detail. To me the tattoo thing is just a constant reminder he’s maybe not J. I am saying he feels quite J (me stepping back and viewing him holistically), but I simply question my reading. How easily can I really type someone just by watching them in an interviewer position? I think maybe there is just something about his voice and presence that makes him feel he is J, even though he isn’t, maybe. He feels kind of focused, while Ps tends to feel more shattered. Maybe? I have difficulty putting it into words. Anyhow I can’t stop thinking it’s maybe I am misreading him. Would we have felt differently if he was younger? But yeah, I can see him as NJ, but not at all SJ.

Anyhow, I just saw YouTube - James Lipton gives advice for careers in Hollywood . That made me less uncertain about my reading. I defintely think he is extroverted, so I am going with ENFJ.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Splittet, I don't want to shut you up again, but your approach to typing really makes me go :BangHead:.

Yes, they can, but the guy is in acting, a field
dominated by perceivers,

1) What's your source for this?
2) What's interesting here is how the numbers play out within the NF temperament. Are NFJs really much less likely than NFPs to go into acting?
3) Even if most NF actors are P rather than J, such data is irrelevant when considering a specific actor. (Unless you are arguing that there are hardly any NFJ actors... Which I would strongly advise against doing. ;))
4) Lipton may be an actor but he's also a talk show host who excels at getting people to confide in him on camera and before a studio audience - is that much more of an NFP job than an NFJ job? *cough Oprah cough*

and perceivers are also more likely than judgers to have and want tattoos (I don't have any numbers, but let's say I have a strong feeling).

See 2 and especially 3.

5) No offense, but what credence should we lend your feelings? I do take the gut instincts of experienced typers seriously, but I have a feeling :whistling: you don't yet know very many exemplars of each of the types IRL.

... This barrage of criticism is nothing personal, Splittet. I'm just really protective of these typing threads. Armchair theorizers beware. :2ar15:

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
1) What's your source for this?

I said I have no source, let's just say it is a strong feeling.

2) What's interesting here is how the numbers play out within the NF temperament. Are NFJs really much less likely than NFPs to go into acting?

Good point. On the other hand, there is like three times as many NFPs as NFJs. Even if NFPs and NFJs are just as likely to become actors, there will be three times as many NFP actors ...

3) Even if most NF actors are P rather than J, that piece of data is irrelevant when considering a specific actor. (Unless you are arguing that hardly any NF actors are J... Which I would strongly advise against doing. ;))

If something is unlikely, you just thing twice about it, that's all. That piece of data would perhaps be irrelevant to you, but I very strongly feel numbers and probabilities …

4) Lipton may be an actor but he's also a talk show host who excels at getting people to confide in him on camera and before a studio audience - is that more of an NFP job than an NFJ job? *cough Oprah cough*

Good point.

By the way, I have earlier typed him as ENFJ in the thread, I was just not very certain about the J reading. I have become more certain though. I do think there is a greater probability he is J than P, and I always have.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I said I have no source, let's just say it is a strong feeling.

Oh, I thought you could actually back up the 'Ps are more into acting than Js' part. :rolleyes:

I reiterate:

5) No offense, but what credence should we lend your feelings? I do take the gut instincts of experienced typers seriously, but I have a feeling :whistling: you don't yet know very many exemplars of each of the types IRL.

Back to you:

Good point. On the other hand, there is like twice as many NFPs as NFJs. Even if NFPs and NFJs are just as likely to become actors, there will be twice as many NFP actors ...

If something is unlikely, you just thing twice about it, that's all.

I reiterate:

3) Even if most NF actors are P rather than J, such data is irrelevant when considering a specific actor. (Unless you are arguing that there are hardly ANY NFJ actors... Which I would strongly advise against doing. ;))

Back to you:

By the way, I have earlier typed him as ENFJ in the thread, I was just not very certain about the J reading. I have become more certain though, so I do think there is a greater probability he is J than P, I always have.

My beef isn't that you expressed some doubt about the ENFJ typing. My beef is with armchair theorizing, which clogs up the typings threads, makes experienced typers groan and obstructs rigorous discussion. :nono:

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Typing is not an exact science. And we all have different methods. You don’t get how I think with numbers, but I guess I can’t blame you, because practically nobody does. Few people thinks and feels numbers as balanced (at least 95th percentile) as me.

You seem so obsessed with experience, one could almost mistake you for a sensor. Not only people who personally know someone of a certain type, can type other people as that type.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh, look what I've done. :doh: Where is my F today? :cry:

You mean

My beef isn't that you expressed some doubt about the ENFJ typing. My beef is with armchair theorizing, which clogs up the typings threads, makes experienced typers groan and obstructs rigorous discussion. :nono:

doesn't relate to me at all? Sorry if I mistakenly thought so.

Btw, (apropos the accent aigu problem) Splittet, your (ordinary) accent cuts my posts off.

I'll fix it.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
You mean (quote) doesn't relate to me at all?

It does relate to you, but if you were the first person ever to armchair theorize in a typing thread, or if this was your first time :whistling:, or if you were not an INTJ :rolleyes: I probably would have been able to be more patient. I am sorry for the first and the third of those reasons since they are not your fault. I really don't want to go harder on you than necessary, Splittet, but I do want to combat armchair theorizing in these threads. <insert bulldozer smiley> ;)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
It does relate to you, but if you were the first person ever to armchair theorize in a typing thread, or if this was your first time :whistling:, or if you were not an INTJ ;) I probably would have been able to be more patient. I am sorry for the first and the third of those reasons since they are not your fault. I really don't want to go harder on you than necessary, Splittet, but I do want to combat armchair theorizing in these threads.

I really wonder what you did wrong. You just told me I am an amateur, inferior to you, who should not state his opinion.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
The key to insulting Economica is to call her a sensor when she makes people back up what they say with facts, you know, those pesky details Ns avoid. :rolli:

I feel a thread coming on. Can anyone intuit what it will be about?

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
The key to insulting Economica is to call her a sensor when she makes people back up what they say with facts, you know, those pesky details Ns avoid. :rolli:

I never called her a sensor, I said one could ALMOST mistake her for one. She just seems a bit fanatical to me, you must have tons, and tons, and tons of experience for your opinion to be worth anything.