User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: James Lipton

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    1) What's your source for this?
    I said I have no source, let's just say it is a strong feeling.

2) What's interesting here is how the numbers play out within the NF temperament. Are NFJs really much less likely than NFPs to go into acting?
    Good point. On the other hand, there is like three times as many NFPs as NFJs. Even if NFPs and NFJs are just as likely to become actors, there will be three times as many NFP actors ...

3) Even if most NF actors are P rather than J, that piece of data is irrelevant when considering a specific actor. (Unless you are arguing that hardly any NF actors are J... Which I would strongly advise against doing. )
    If something is unlikely, you just thing twice about it, that's all. That piece of data would perhaps be irrelevant to you, but I very strongly feel numbers and probabilities …

4) Lipton may be an actor but he's also a talk show host who excels at getting people to confide in him on camera and before a studio audience - is that more of an NFP job than an NFJ job? *cough Oprah cough*
    Good point.

By the way, I have earlier typed him as ENFJ in the thread, I was just not very certain about the J reading. I have become more certain though. I do think there is a greater probability he is J than P, and I always have.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I said I have no source, let's just say it is a strong feeling.
    Oh, I thought you could actually back up the 'Ps are more into acting than Js' part.

I reiterate:

5) No offense, but what credence should we lend your feelings? I do take the gut instincts of experienced typers seriously, but I have a feeling you don't yet know very many exemplars of each of the types IRL.
    Back to you:

Good point. On the other hand, there is like twice as many NFPs as NFJs. Even if NFPs and NFJs are just as likely to become actors, there will be twice as many NFP actors ...

If something is unlikely, you just thing twice about it, that's all.
    I reiterate:

3) Even if most NF actors are P rather than J, such data is irrelevant when considering a specific actor. (Unless you are arguing that there are hardly ANY NFJ actors... Which I would strongly advise against doing. )
    Back to you:

By the way, I have earlier typed him as ENFJ in the thread, I was just not very certain about the J reading. I have become more certain though, so I do think there is a greater probability he is J than P, I always have.
    My beef isn't that you expressed some doubt about the ENFJ typing. My beef is with armchair theorizing, which clogs up the typings threads, makes experienced typers groan and obstructs rigorous discussion.

MBTI
    INTJ

Typing is not an exact science. And we all have different methods. You don’t get how I think with numbers, but I guess I can’t blame you, because practically nobody does. Few people thinks and feels numbers as balanced (at least 95th percentile) as me.

You seem so obsessed with experience, one could almost mistake you for a sensor. Not only people who personally know someone of a certain type, can type other people as that type.

MBTI
    INTJ

Oh, look what I've done. Where is my F today?

Btw, (apropos the accent aigu problem) Splittet, your (ordinary) accent cuts my posts off.

MBTI
    INTJ

Oh, look what I've done. Where is my F today?
    You mean

My beef isn't that you expressed some doubt about the ENFJ typing. My beef is with armchair theorizing, which clogs up the typings threads, makes experienced typers groan and obstructs rigorous discussion.
    doesn't relate to me at all? Sorry if I mistakenly thought so.

Btw, (apropos the accent aigu problem) Splittet, your (ordinary) accent cuts my posts off.
    I'll fix it.

MBTI
    INTJ

You mean (quote) doesn't relate to me at all?
    It does relate to you, but if you were the first person ever to armchair theorize in a typing thread, or if this was your first time , or if you were not an INTJ I probably would have been able to be more patient. I am sorry for the first and the third of those reasons since they are not your fault. I really don't want to go harder on you than necessary, Splittet, but I do want to combat armchair theorizing in these threads. <insert bulldozer smiley>

MBTI
    INTJ

It does relate to you, but if you were the first person ever to armchair theorize in a typing thread, or if this was your first time , or if you were not an INTJ I probably would have been able to be more patient. I am sorry for the first and the third of those reasons since they are not your fault. I really don't want to go harder on you than necessary, Splittet, but I do want to combat armchair theorizing in these threads.
    I really wonder what you did wrong. You just told me I am an amateur, inferior to you, who should not state his opinion.

Enneagram
    1w2

The key to insulting Economica is to call her a sensor when she makes people back up what they say with facts, you know, those pesky details Ns avoid. :rolli:

I feel a thread coming on. Can anyone intuit what it will be about?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    The key to insulting Economica is to call her a sensor when she makes people back up what they say with facts, you know, those pesky details Ns avoid. :rolli:
    I never called her a sensor, I said one could ALMOST mistake her for one. She just seems a bit fanatical to me, you must have tons, and tons, and tons of experience for your opinion to be worth anything.

Enneagram
    1w2

I never called her a sensor, I said one could ALMOST mistake her for one.
    Yeah, like "I almost thought you were smart"
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3