User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Maximilien Robespierre

Maximilien Robespierre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was reading about the French Revolution recently, and I noticed something interesting. For some reason or other, I end up sympathizing with him rather than the people who stopped him, because most of what he said about things made sense to me. This leads me to suspect that he might be an NJ of some sort.

What type do you think he was?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

INTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    INTJ.
    Huh. Well, I was thinking he might be an ENxJ of some kind, but I can see that too. I kind of thought he might be too political, ethically aware, and persuasive for a ITJ, but if he was one, he must have been an unusually charismatic and perceptive one.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Definitely a NiTe type, Fe is completely out of the question (ever read Justification of the Use of Terror?). I'm somewhat interested in political leaders/tyrants, and I've read numerous pieces on him. All have described him as a bookish man, "strong, but silent." He was known as a timid and nervous child who lacked social skills and focused primarily on his studies.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I kind of thought he might be too political, ethically aware, and persuasive for a ITJ, but if he was one, he must have been an unusually charismatic and perceptive one.
    He wasn't very charismatic, IMO. He just laid down the law, and others were too afraid to oppose him.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

He was known as a timid and nervous child who lacked social skills and focused primarily on his studies.
    That could describe me, too.

I guess I just have trouble imagining a TJ as being timid and nervous. I always got the impression they were a lot more confident.

He wasn't very charismatic, IMO. He just laid down the law, and others were too afraid to oppose him.
    Well, that was after he had power, though. Didn't he have to be somewhat persuasive/charismatic, or at least subtle and aware of how people see/react to things, to get into power in the first place?

It's just that a lot of what he says seems irrationally idealistic and rooted in a sense of ethics rather than simply being pragmatic. Which had me considering EFJ and ETJ, but I guess not, if he didn't have social skills.

Hmm... well, maybe I don't know INTJs as well as I thought I did, if he could be one.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

That could describe me, too.
    ...Wellll

Anyway, yes, that could go for an INFJ too. But his Te is quite clear.

I guess I just have trouble imagining a TJ as being timid and nervous. I always got the impression they were a lot more confident.
    INTJs can be timid, especially when younger.

Well, that was after he had power, though. Didn't he have to be somewhat persuasive/charismatic to get into power in the first place?
    He wasn't completely without persuasion, but he wasn't Hitler. France was divided at the time, and his ideas made sense (initially). He appealed to the commoners who made up the majority.

It's just that a lot of what he says seems irrationally idealistic and rooted in a sense of ethics rather than simply being pragmatic.
    He was both. Ni is idealistic, Te is pragmatic. He led with his personal ideals, IOW Ni. And Ni is an irrational function.

This is a snippet of his speech at Louis XVI's execution:
    This is no trial; Louis is not a prisoner at the bar; you are not judges; you are you cannot but be statesmen, and the representatives of the nation. You have not to pass sentence for or against a single man, but you have to take a resolution on a question of the public safety, and to decide a question of national foresight.
    He is saying it is not a judgement of the King as right or wrong. But the king must be executed for the future health of the nation; it only made sense. It was a very logical deduction and easy to follow (Te): The king has been found to be one of the main causes of France's ills, let's get rid of him.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

He was both. Ni is idealistic, Te is pragmatic. He led with his personal ideals, IOW Ni. And Ni is an irrational function.

This is a snippet of his speech at Louis XVI's execution:

He is saying it is not a judgement of the King as right or wrong. But the king must be executed for the future health of the nation; it only made sense. It was a very logical deduction and easy to follow (Te): The king has been found to be one of the main causes of France's ills, let's get rid of him.
    Aha, that makes sense. And I guess the fact that he was concerned with the future health of the nation rather than his own personal gain... could still be within the range of an INTJs Fi.

I always wondered how someone could reconcile personal ideals with pragmatism... it really never made sense to me that an idealistic person could be pragmatic. Oh, well... I guess INTJs figure it out somehow.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Aha, that makes sense. And I guess the fact that he was concerned with the future health of the nation rather than his own personal gain... could still be within the range of an INTJs Fi.
    Exactly. Ni-Fi.

I always wondered how someone could reconcile personal ideals with pragmatism... it really never made sense to me that an idealistic person could be pragmatic. Oh, well... I guess INTJs figure it out somehow.
    All NJs do, to an extent. They're Ns but also Js...making dreams a reality.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

He is the first to use the term "terrorism." I just took an "Introduction to Terrorism" class, in which this quote was listed:

Robespierre:
    "If virtue be the spring of a popular government in times of peace, the spring of that government during a revolution is virtue combined with terror: virtue, without which terror is destructive; terror, without which virtue is impotent."
    One pissed of fellow he was! :horor: