123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default Good Will Hunting

Matt Damon's character Will: INTP or INTJ?
    Robin William's character (the therapist): INFP
    The professor: ENTJ

What do you think?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I actually kind of think ISTP for Will, INFP or INFJ for the therapist, anndd...I don't remember anyone else. I haven't seen it in a while.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Woo, Robin Williams. I think the only reason I remember his name is because Harry Nilsson did part of the Popeye soundtrack.

Hot potato, though.

thinking of you

I always had Damon and Robin Williams as ENFPs.

Don't think the professor is ENTJ, they seem to have better assessment of situations and people than that.

ISTP might be a good fit for Will though. I just always saw NF in there. Right from the position he takes in social groups, to what he sees as important, which never seems to be doing technical things, or his intelligence. The fact he refuses to work for companies because he has ethical issues with what they do. ENTP is another option, though the unimposing relaxed to blitz style is very ENFP. I think Puppy called it "blaze and amaze". And the accessorising and trying everything on in the store. And the running away at the end for love (an ENTP has already told me how illogical this sort of move is). Even his way of first getting attention by solving the impossible for amusement, and walking off to leave them puzzled rather than trying to get recognition, has a lot of ENFP to it.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.
    Likes Tiny Dancer liked this post

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Hm, he could be a really unhealthy ENFP. I mean it's clear that his psychology isn't totally normal, so it's pretty hard to type him. He just seems so sullen and withdrawn, although I see what you mean about the strong adherence to his values and perceptions, as well as the passive attention seeking.

How about Skyler or whatever her name was? She seemed like an extrovert, but I had a hard time beyond that.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Hm, he could be a really unhealthy ENFP. I mean it's clear that his psychology isn't totally normal, so it's pretty hard to type him. He just seems so sullen and withdrawn, although I see what you mean about the strong adherence to his values and perceptions, as well as the passive attention seeking.

How about Skyler or whatever her name was? She seemed like an extrovert, but I had a hard time beyond that.
    Not sure about Skyler. Maybe ENFJ? She does good relationship managing, and seems to keep pretty work focused when Will is joking around.

On Will, I think he was majorly mixed up for most of the film. Just at the end he was okay. He had no clues where he was going, what he was doing, he had emotional walls up all over the place. At the end he still had no clues where he was going, but he found himself more.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Yeah, I was kind of thinking a very mature, laid-back ENFJ for Skyler although she could be a very balanced T.

MBTI
    INFJ

I was thinking some kind of F for Will, too. Sure, he's rebellious, insensitive, aggressive at times, and a smartass, as well (all things that people seem to associate with T). But that whole rant about why he didn't want to work in that company for ethical reasons seemed completely F to me. I just don't see a T having that kind of moral focus with logic taking a backseat to it.

So, yes, NF for Will. Not to mention the fact that his approach to math seemed more NF-like to me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    I always had Damon and Robin Williams as ENFPs.

Don't think the professor is ENTJ, they seem to have better assessment of situations and people than that.

ISTP might be a good fit for Will though. I just always saw NF in there. Right from the position he takes in social groups, to what he sees as important, which never seems to be doing technical things, or his intelligence. The fact he refuses to work for companies because he has ethical issues with what they do. ENTP is another option, though the unimposing relaxed to blitz style is very ENFP. I think Puppy called it "blaze and amaze". And the accessorising and trying everything on in the store. And the running away at the end for love (an ENTP has already told me how illogical this sort of move is). Even his way of first getting attention by solving the impossible for amusement, and walking off to leave them puzzled rather than trying to get recognition, has a lot of ENFP to it.
    Hm, I saw them both as introverts. Damon's character essentially gave himself a college education, which would require a lot of solitude in reading. Outside of his loyal buddies he didn't seem to seek out interaction. I read his passive attention seeking as an introvert move.

He doesn't come off as particularly feeling to me either. He didn't see the value in a romantic relationship until his therapist made some points with him. I saw it as like an NT getting schooled by an NF in human relationships

Williams' character seems Fi-dom over Ne-dom to me. He is just soooo value based and run by his feelings.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ISFJ

I agree with Noigmn on both of them being ENFPs.