• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Good Will Hunting

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've seen this flick more than 10 times.. and I'd go with the following

Will: INTP
Skylar: ENFJ
Sean: INFP.. I just don't see Ne dom with him, could even be INFJ "My wife is dead" finality when ever asked about re-marrying...
Chuck (Ben Afflek): ESTP
Morgan: ESFP
Billy: IJ
Lambeau: ENTJ
Tom (Lambeau's asst.) INFJ

Agreed, although I still think ISTP is a possibility for Will, and INTJ a possibility for Lambeau.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Agreed, although I still think ISTP is a possibility for Will, and INTJ a possibility for Lambeau.

I agree that ISTP is possibility, especially with that rote memorization scene in the Harvard bar.

I don't see Lambeau as INTJ at all though, he really comes across as an extrovert in the way he speaks in his class, the way he initiates, and the way he throws his power around to seduce.

KDude

Yeah, I think Will and Skylar is kind of a ISTP/ENFJ pairing. Or just ITP/ENFJ. God, I think I know an ENFJ like her actually. Maybe even Minnie Driver might be ENFJ.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I didn't really feel any connection with Will. He's kind of outward-directed to be classic INTP, he's much more focused on the environment. Just because someone is darned smart doesn't mean he has to be INTP. I think a lot of his energy would be directed away from the physical if he were an N, but he's VERY physical. I remember the question his stepdad asked him (the wrench, the belt, or whatever else, and he immediately picked the wrench as an FU move... not very INTP, but very practical in the ISTP kind of way). Out of the three enneagram directions, he's not a withdrawer like most INTPs but a "move against" persona, more like a type 8 would be.

Hux, I did scan Lambeau more as INTJ at first glance, but I think you do make a decent case for ENTJ. We just never really see him interacting aside from a formal setting with a lot of people at once, and that's something an INTJ can pull off. Still, you have raised some good thoughts here.

I do see Sean as INFP -- I think the closure things we see are internal Ji, just like if you trigger / offend the sensibilities of an INTP, you'll get a really sharp, dug-in Ti response that comes out as J. Same thing with Sean here. He's very free-form and fluid, aside from a few key moments when Will's goading finally triggers him and he digs in immediately. He also refuses to put closure on Will unnecessarily and fights for Will to have freedom to decide for himself what and when he will do whatever he will do; that's a pretty typical INFP nurturing move.

I really had no feelings about Skyler. I have no idea what type Minnie Driver is in real life either. She's one of those rarities for me, where I just get no sense of her whatsoever.

Honestly, the whole interview spiel delineating why he'll hold out for something better, seemed to be to be exactly like that "really sharp dug-in response" that is like an exacerbated J preference; TiNe to the core at least insofar as my understanding of it. Seems like he Ti'd to come up with his reasoning, and then let loose with Ne to hit them like a battering ram, kind of like the initial Harvard bar scene with the ski trip douche; he seemed more like an ISTx than Will to me. I think his childhood = Will not being able to be classified as "classic" anything, IMHO.

As for his rote memorizing, what if he is just a very bored, underwhelmed INTP that lacks the motivation to become a productive part of society, at least regarding his potential? Would a Sensor do those math proofs just for the hell of it? His childhood abuse would suggest that as at least a possibility. Also, isn't P-ness known for scrutiny of details? I used to be a champion speller as a child, and two things are certain: I am not a sensor, and my talent was based on a nearly eidetic memory and an affinity for reading quite a lot (including a good amount of meant for adults text) while withdrawing from the rest of the world around me, and definitely not an advanced understanding of etymology or the rules of the English language.

KDude

No, I left the last preference open, to imply that I am leaning towards him being ISTJ :p

I might agree he might be Si-Te in the Jungian sense, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing as ISTJ sometimes. All of the introverted percievers seem like IP temperment there. I think I qualify as one of them myself.

I probably should leave that point for another thread though.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I didn't really feel any connection with Will. He's kind of outward-directed to be classic INTP, he's much more focused on the environment. Just because someone is darned smart doesn't mean he has to be INTP. I think a lot of his energy would be directed away from the physical if he were an N, but he's VERY physical. I remember the question his stepdad asked him (the wrench, the belt, or whatever else, and he immediately picked the wrench as an FU move... not very INTP, but very practical in the ISTP kind of way). Out of the three enneagram directions, he's not a withdrawer like most INTPs but a "move against" persona, more like a type 8 would be.

Yeah, that was my impression. It's been ages since I've watched this movie so I'm not going to attempt to type the characters, but I do recall the character didn't resonate with me nearly as much as I expected he would, based on reviews and summaries of the movie I'd read beforehand. And a lot of it was what you said here: focused outward, focused on the physical, aggressive, etc.

(I knew most people would be saying INTP before I clicked on the thread though...that's how it goes with intelligent underachievers.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Will's talents could suggest Rational but his behavior suggests Artisan. I'm going with behavior traits.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also have to say, people who bust on INFP males for often being effeminate? That can easily be a bum rap. I think Sean is a credit to the type. I admired his toughness and strength, as well as his courage to go head to head and scrap with Will, while still retaining his clarity and directing it all to the ends of nurturing the boy. Will really bruised him up badly, as well as Lambeau, and yet he never stopped fighting, and he never was really trying to fight for himself, it was for them he fought.

I might agree he might be Si-Te in the Jungian sense, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing as ISTJ sometimes. All of the introverted percievers seem like IP temperment there. I think I qualify as one of them myself.

I probably should leave that point for another thread though.

Honestly, I just threw that in there as a counterpoint in an argument against Will's ISTP-ness. I haven't gone too far into ski trip's character at all, to be honest. I hope you don't believe I am running a modus ponens, where ISTx = douchebag?

KDude

Honestly, I just threw that in there as a counterpoint in an argument against Will's ISTP-ness. I haven't gone too far into ski trip's character at all, to be honest. I hope you don't believe I am running a modus ponens, where ISTx = douchebag?

Nah, it's cool. I'm mostly kidding around myself.