User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Johnny Depp

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Johnny Depp

Some of us have already discussed his type in this thread, but I would like more closure than that thread provided, and I just found out that the wonderfully intimate Inside the Actor's Studio interview is up again on YouTube.

What type do you believe him to be and why?

(Thanks to the aforementioned thread, I now lean toward INFP.)

MBTI
    INFP

He's got to be one of the few INFPs in Hollywood. I suspect the respect he's earned is partly due to his introvertedness.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'm glad you reposted this, because I have an opinion on this, but I believe that the other thread had gotten somewhat long and unwieldy.

Ladypinkington and myself have both done our share of acting (and I've done directing too). We both believe that Johnny Depp is an INFP. If you look at Depp's characters you will see that he has an amazing ability to create fictional characters out of seemingly nothing. Even when he gives his inspiration for a particular role (such as Keith Richards for Jack Sparrow), he elaborates on the role much further, and if you look closely he seems to be incorporating personality elements from a few other people. But the elaborate imagination is what strikes me as firmly INFP. I get the impression that in his mind his characters have a fleshed out back story and he's also thought of how the character would interact in a variety of situations. INFP's are the dreamers and creators of fantasy worlds, and that is what you see from Johnny Depp's acting.

With an INFJ actor what you expect to see is someone who can actually get inside the head of another person and become that person. Sometimes when I see ladypinkington act it's almost like she's channeling the dead spirit of some person. It's like she can become another person and live out the life that person lived. I think INFJ actors have an advantage when acting biographical parts, but INFP actors have an advantage when creating a character from scratch. (This is why you find so many ENFP actors, because Ne, Fi is a strong combination for creating a new character and that is what most roles require.) If you are looking at a performance you'll see an INFJ is a bit more crisper on some of the physical details like gesture and voice inflection, but the INFP will have the psychology of the character fleshed out more deeply.

So when I look at Johnny Depp's characters the part that seems the most remarkable about them is that the psychology of the character is elaborately fleshed out, and that is why I think he is an INFP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

I have yet to hear from an INFP who doesn't believe JD to be INFP, so that's good.

The_Liquid_Laser, thanks for posting your experience of INFP/INFJ acting styles. I'd like to know whether you and ladypinkington are also basing your typing of him as INFP on any interviews you may have seen? (I'm a stickler for typing actors on the basis of interviews as a complement to analyzing their performances.)

Any male INFJs out there want to give their take on JD's type?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'd say INFJ.

And I'd say today's movie industry, in general, is ENTJ, believe it or not.

I know a lot of N snobs will say ESTP, but just because a storyline isn't innovative (let's face it, stories almost never are), doesn't mean there isn't innovation found elsewhere.

More often than not, movies innovate in finding new ways of showing things and by using and making technological innovations.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'd say INFJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    What type do you believe him to be and why?
    ---

Edit: I let Cindyrella off on that one, didn't I? I guess I'm more convinced of INFP than I let on. :blushing:

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

You do not need to know why. I just have good instincts!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    You do not need to know why. I just have good instincts!
    Thank you for providing me with such a succinct justification for my signature.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I have yet to hear from an INFP who doesn't believe JD to be INFP, so that's good.

The_Liquid_Laser, thanks for posting your experience of INFP/INFJ acting styles. I'd like to know whether you and ladypinkington are also basing your typing of him as INFP on any interviews you may have seen? (I'm a stickler for typing actors on the basis of interviews as a complement to analyzing their performances.)

Any male INFJs out there want to give their take on JD's type?

I looked at the first 30 minutes of interview, and he carries himself like an INFP. He's calm and subdued like most introverts appear, and like most other INFP's if he finds something annoying or offensive he tends to keep it to himself being more perceiving outwardly than judging. With INFJ's and INTJ's on the other hand I have noticed a pattern that they often appear to be extraverts at first, because they are full of energy. But when Ni is the primary function that energy comes from within rather than the outside world. JD doesn't carry himself with the energy that I expect from an INTJ or INFJ.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

INFP seem like a very good guess. To be honest, I can't see him as J. Flunking out of high school at the age of 15 certainly seem way more P than J. Acting and music is also dominated by Ps, which makes it even less probable. Also it seems like his acting career got of just by chance, following the flow.