• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

500 Days of Summer

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Though it's been said, she's probably an INTP.

Zooey Deschanel usually portrays INTP characters. Or at least some kind of NT.

I haven't seen this movie, but I've seen her in others and she does usually seem IxTP. In that "Yes Man" movie she seemed more of an ISTP - definitely Se over Ne in that movie.

Begoner

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Summer: INFP
Tom: INFJ

As an INTP male, I definitely empathized far more with Summer's character -- what's with the unilateral hatred towards her? Tom was egocentric, superficial, and irrationally moody throughout the entire movie. Moreover, he was completely inattentive to what Summer wanted; in my view, her troubled past fosters a detached attitude in her which she'd like to overcome by confiding in Tom. That's one reason why I'd err on the INFP side of INxP as a classification for her; the other is her crying whilst watching The Graduate (in particular, the stereotypical scene in which the guy stops the girl from marrying the wrong person, right in the nick of time). Tom's behavior seems to be more straightforwardly INFJ, though.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just watched it. I saw Tom as pretty textbook INFP, except for the office emotional outburst (an INFP would more likely boil internally), but that's just movie drama. I could definitely relate to him, except I don't get attached as quickly to people I date and I get over them faster (never really been in love though).

I can see Summer as INTP, borderline ENTP, because she is not that reserved. I didn't like her much either; if she wasn't Zooey Deschanel with a cute wardrobe, she wouldn't be very charming. I think she got off on a technicality when it came to jilting him; she basically said one thing, but her actions said another and it all amounts to playing with his feelings. Not cool in my INFP book.

I got a real Ne-aux on Ne-aux vibe in their relationship when it was going well. Even though the movie was a rather light romantic comedy and the characters weren't developed deeply, it reminded me a bit of brief relationships I've had with INTPs.

I also wish the end was him getting a job at an architecture firm and not meeting a new girl. That would've been soooo much better.

phinny5608

MBTI Type
INFP
When I watched it, I was quite certain:
Summer= somewhat traumatized ENFJ or possibly INFJ
Tom= INFP/INTP fictional hybrid. Or a dramatized INFP, with the stuff we feel like doing (but don't do) actually being acted out

I knew an ENFJ just like Summer. She was about the same way, not believing in love and all that, and wanting lots of relationship-type things without the actual follow-through.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tom= INFP/INTP fictional hybrid. Or a dramatized INFP, with the stuff we feel like doing (but don't do) actually being acted out

Where do you see the Ti in him? He seems clearly a Feeling man to me. I agree with the bolded part for some instances - but I don't see an INTP acting out the way he did at times either.

phinny5608

MBTI Type
INFP
Where do you see the Ti in him? He seems clearly a Feeling man to me. I agree with the bolded part for some instances - but I don't see an INTP acting out the way he did at times either.

I would otherwise completely agree, except that I knew an INTP who (very contrary to stereotype) was oddly prone to expressing his emotions in outbursts or at least poetry. The outbursts and poetry still smacked of the NT or at least T qualities nevertheless, with its deliberate and calculated nature.

The other reason I throw some INTP in there is that he was a lover of architecture, which requires putting the pieces together to make a coherent whole. This is something INTPs do quite well (one of their names is "the architect").

But of course, he was a hopeless romantic in an NF sense, so he had to be predominantly based on some kind of NF. I think this most likely an INFP, but I'm biased obviously. :)

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
the other is her crying whilst watching The Graduate (in particular, the stereotypical scene in which the guy stops the girl from marrying the wrong person, right in the nick of time).

How does crying while watching a movie mean you're an INFP?? I cry during sad/melancholy movies ALL THE TIME, because fiction forces an identification with the characters. And if I felt trapped in a relationship I didn't want to be in and saw that movie, I would have cried then too.

Begoner

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
How does crying while watching a movie mean you're an INFP?? I cry during sad/melancholy movies ALL THE TIME, because fiction forces an identification with the characters. And if I felt trapped in a relationship I didn't want to be in and saw that movie, I would have cried then too.

It's indicative of a more pronounced F; since I was oscillating between INTP and INFP as Summer's type, INFP seemed the more logical choice. That's not to say Ts can't cry during movies, but it's a much more common occurrence among Fs.

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
It's indicative of a more pronounced F; since I was oscillating between INTP and INFP as Summer's type, INFP seemed the more logical choice. That's not to say Ts can't cry during movies, but it's a much more common occurrence among Fs.
If I see a movie that ''touches my heart'', even though others consider it completely boring and/or terrible, I can cry and think it's genial. Usually this happen, when I'm watching documentaries. I think they're usually so interesting and nice, while the others think they're just boring and unentertaining.

Also
INTPs dislike making the first move and tend to mirror the emotional content of the other person.
That's absolutely not her.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, and he appeared puzzled by her reaction because it apparently was not typical for her to cry like that. I can't see her as anything but a T woman either. The premise of the whole movie is romantic Feeling man meets jaded Thinking woman, IMO.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Yes, and he appeared puzzled by her reaction because it apparently was not typical for her to cry like that. I can't see her as anything but a T woman either. The premise of the whole movie is romantic Feeling man meets jaded Thinking woman, IMO.

Yes, definitely. I've just seen it and I think Tom is an iNFP (his need to have a 'definition' of their relationship seems a little more J, but my overall impression is iNFP), and Summer is an iNTP. I can see the ENTP in the way her character was originally written, but the way Zooey portrays her shifts her more toward the INTP area, imo.

The movie is certainly about the Fi-Ti clash, with the initial 'soulmate-y' feeling of two Ne users. Been there, not nice :tongue10:

lua

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
As an INFP, I'd definitely say Tom is an INFP. That said, I couldn't stand him.

Alright, I'm a bit biased (I recently dealt with a "Tom" who refused to believe that I wasn't in love with him). This movie was completely subjective - that was the point - you could totally empathize with Tom's character and Summer was evil packed in to a skirt. Once Tom lifted his idealist glasses, though, he realized what he hadn't before: that Summer had told him from the start what she was looking for in a relationship, that he saw things that weren't there (flashbacks to the record store, furniture shop, etc), and that she *wasn't* evil packed in to a skirt (the metaphor at the end of the film being her holding his hand - meaning she still cared for him).

Also, at the beginning - "It's Amanda Heller all over again." It seems that he's been through this before. :( I do feel bad for the guy.

I'm not sure what Summer was because all we saw was his view of her. I guess INTP sounds about right.

B

beyondaurora

I just watched this movie (I really liked it!) and was absolutely amazed at how much I related to Tom. I have never encountered a character in film with whom I've felt such an affinity. It's uncanny.

Tom is DEFINITELY an NF. No doubt about it. And I'm almost certain he's INFP. It's how he "grew up believing that he’d never truly be happy until the day he met the one", it's in the way he values so preciously when Summer "opens up" to him, and it's how his values compel him to quit the greeting card company.

Summer, on the other hand, is an enigma to me. And, perhaps, that is the clue to her type. Their relationship reminds me of a relationship I had with an INTP. I wanted so desperately to "draw out" the side of him that I "knew" he had. It drove me crazy. I also see some SP "cut and run" tendencies in Summer, but (as others have said) there is quite a bit of Ne banter that goes on between them, and there is nothing to point to the ST pairing.

There were times when I thought that Summer was just a hurt and guarded NF. But then I see Tom at the end of the movie, jaded at one point, but bouncing back with the same NF enthusiasm for love with perhaps a bit more life experience to aid him in his next relationship, and then I realize that's more what a hurt NF looks like.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
I just watched this movie (I really liked it!) and was absolutely amazed at how much I related to Tom. I have never encountered a character in film with whom I've felt such an affinity. It's uncanny.

Tom is DEFINITELY an NF. No doubt about it. And I'm almost certain he's INFP. It's how he "grew up believing that he’d never truly be happy until the day he met the one", it's in the way he values so preciously when Summer "opens up" to him, and it's how his values compel him to quit the greeting card company.

Summer, on the other hand, is an enigma to me. And, perhaps, that is the clue to her type. Their relationship reminds me of a relationship I had with an INTP. I wanted so desperately to "draw out" the side of him that I "knew" he had. It drove me crazy. I also see some SP "cut and run" tendencies in Summer.

i don't think cut and run = sp. i think it = tp.
just my two cents.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Always thought Tom was an INFP or eNFP...Don't see J in him.

Man...I'm necroing so many cool threads.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
Summer is an ENTP. She seems introverted if you go category by category but she is soooooooo much like the female ENTPs i know it is eerie.

I think tom is an INFP.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Then ENTPs are scary people to fall in love with, especially since I can relate to Tom so easily.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
Me too man. I fell in love with an ENTP and it was disastrous. I related to Tom so much because he was a fellow NFP. Its that Nt/NF death spiral. That seems to be exactly what the movies about.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
The whole time I was watching this movie with threads, I kept shrinking in my chair for how eerily similar Summer felt.... Leaving the theatre, all my friends took out their anger at her character on me, in a loving way of course.

My vote is eNTP.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...What if neither of them are Ns?

<suspense>

tom=isfj (screams isfj, and that character would never ever be in love with the smiths. he's not e4, e5, e9-- he's e2)
summer=intp? (istp wouldn't be out of the question characterwise but zooey seems very Ne to me)

i'm still amazed how people don't easily see Fe in action. all that outward enthusiasm and that awful stomach punch sinking feeling face. uggh, it hurts just thinking about it.

what's zooey's enneagram? i think e5 makes more sense for her (over e3 or e7), which is why i'm more likely to say intp than entp. but she does seem so flighty for a Ti dom. yet she doesn't seem like she has nearly the same outgoing energy as any entp i've ever met, which is much more energizing. i could maybe see 5w4 so/sx? kind of appearing lighter on the surface than she actually is (often an so/sx quality)? if she's entp what enneagram would make sense for her?