• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

500 Days of Summer

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
...it would probably point to her being an SFP if anything, since INFPs are also known as "head in the clouds," ...

...In any case, it's too minor and too specific a detail...

...I won't even address the birth order thing because I think it's BS. And even if it weren't, we don't know her birth order anyway so we couldn't even begin to apply it in a way that would be useful to this conversation...

My 2 cents.

I appreciate the opportunity to hear from a female INTP (I assume) since I don't know any irl. The male INTPs I know in real life don't seem to have anywhere near the same vibe I picked up from this character so I was reaching for a connection that matches my personal interactions.

Quote 1:
SFP if anything -- now who's being a bit narrow. I know several INFP females and by extrapolating their differences, I can see the Summer character fitting that type.

Quote 2:
Just because I am using a detail to make an observation doesn't mean I am being minor and specific in my observation. I am not. But time and space necessarily limit how may details are expressed to postulate a trend.

Quote 3:
I found a pretty good theory on the birth order subject that I find useful in filling in gaps of human behavior where cognitive functions fall short. You might check it out.

If you look at the Jungian cognitive functions as a system for understanding preferences for how the mind works, the parallel is looking at birth order as a system for understanding how behavior is affected by coping mechanisms developed in childhood. I think the enneagram and another system I've studied look at things more from the angle of an archetypal spiritual motivation.

i.e. the way we think, the way subconscious coping mechanisms modify our behavior, the underlying motivations of our spirit.

Since a literary character is not a real person, it can end up being a mish-mash (even an inconsistent mish-mash) of characteristics -- and the Summer character may be just that. But I think she is a plausible INFP.

I'd like to know a number of female INTPs to understand them (as a group) better than I do.

As an INTJ, I identified with the INFJ, Tom, in some ways. Esp. the Ni expression of his character. But I am no INFJ.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I appreciate the opportunity to hear from a female INTP (I assume) since I don't know any irl. The male INTPs I know in real life don't seem to have anywhere near the same vibe I picked up from this character so I was reaching for a connection that matches my personal interactions.

TBH, you probably wouldn't get the same vibe from me, either. I'm much more close to the typical INTP nerd than Summer seems to be.

Quote 1:
SFP if anything -- now who's being a bit narrow. I know several INFP females and by extrapolating their differences, I can see the Summer character fitting that type.

Don't misrepresent what I said. I never said she was an SFP because of her apparent focus on dressing nice. I said that if we were to fit that kind of a detail into a type stereotype, then it would be SFP, not NFP.

Quote 2:
Just because I am using a detail to make an observation doesn't mean I am being minor and specific in my observation. I am not. But time and space necessarily limit how may details are expressed to postulate a trend.

A trend? What trend? All you did was say that she was more socially graceful than you think INTPs would be, and that she had more "stylistic acuity" than you would expect INTPs to have. Therefore she is more like an INFP.

You didn't say why she was more INFP, all you said were that these two relatively unrelated, isolated details made her NOT an INTP.

Quote 3:
I found a pretty good theory on the birth order subject that I find useful in filling in gaps of human behavior where cognitive functions fall short. You might check it out.

If you look at the Jungian cognitive functions as a system for understanding preferences for how the mind works, the parallel is looking at birth order as a system for understanding how behavior is affected by coping mechanisms developed in childhood. I think the enneagram and another system I've studied look at things more from the angle of an archetypal spiritual motivation.

i.e. the way we think, the way subconscious coping mechanisms modify our behavior, the underlying motivations of our spirit.

Okay, but like I said, interesting though that may be, it is irrelevant to this conversation because of the fact that we don't know Summer's birth order. The most we could do is speculate about what order her characteristics seem to line up with most. And that tells us nothing about her type, which is the topic of this thread.

Since a literary character is not a real person, it can end up being a mish-mash (even an inconsistent mish-mash) of characteristics -- and the Summer character may be just that. But I think she is a plausible INFP.

I think the inconsistent mishmash is most likely the case with her character. As to her being INFP, I'd like to know why you think she's INFP before I consider that a plausible option. I mean, outside of the trend you posited with one detail. We need warrant! All you've got are some (arguably weak) grounds. Give us warrant!

As an INTJ, I identified with the INFJ, Tom, in some ways. Esp. the Ni expression of his character. But I am no INFJ.

There seems to be something of a consensus on Tom's type.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Just saw this movie and loved it! I'd agree with Summer being INTP and Tom being INFJ. Summer could be closer to xNTP, though.

As an aside, I thought Tom was adorable, and I could very much relate to Summer. I liked that Summer was complex and not just all perfect-girl all the time, too. Adored Tom's dance sequence.

LEVINA

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Just recently the movie showed up on the net so I could rewatch it. I've seen it before and I was going to post back then but I missed alot of the movie when I was in the theatre.

When I saw the movie, Summer is probably the closest fictional character that I saw myself in. However, it's probably only our ideas or state of minds, I agree with her on wanting adventure, unromantic, not wanting to be anybody's anybody, acts like a guy, ect.

I'd probably be calling out PENIS on a daily basis however.
I act like a drunk McKenzie (The dude who got drunk and threatened to light the place on fire) more on a regular basis. (And I rarely get that drunk!)

As for the "private world that only few get to see" I don't think I have a private world. (Or maybe I do, I'm just not aware of it because I don't encounter the "private world" on a regular basis so I have no realization of what I want to keep hidden) Sure I have a secret or two of something I regret but there's nothing I want to put in my personal home (I don't see the point) or keep hidden. Everybody I know knows the type of person I am. I would not mind talking about my dreams/ambitions/thoughts ect to anybody who's interested/asks. That's the biggest/main difference between me and Summer.

I do see her as a remsemblance to some INTP girls I know. So, yeah, I'm going to have to go with INTP aswell.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
...What if neither of them are Ns?

<suspense>

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Quote 3:

Where could I check this out?

I loved this movie. I see Summer as being more of an ENTP than an INTP. The INTPs I know seem way less Fe than Summer.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Though it's been said, she's probably an INTP.

Zooey Deschanel usually portrays INTP characters. Or at least some kind of NT.

totallypsycho

MBTI Type
ESxP
tom: infp
summer: intp

this would have been the best movie ever had summer contracted some kind of venereal disease at the end of the movie though. she deserved nothing less.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Tom: INFP
Summer: INTX

Def didn't like the movie though. Fell asleep three times trying to watch it. I was hoping someone would die or get pregnant. Too much talking going on. Not enough action for me. I honestly don't get what the big deal is with this film. What'd I miss?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this would have been the best movie ever had summer contracted some kind of venereal disease at the end of the movie though. she deserved nothing less.

lol i agree so much. i might be biased because i hate the actress, but summer was SO unlikable to me.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
Summer: INTX

Def didn't like the movie though. Fell asleep three times trying to watch it. I was hoping someone would die or get pregnant. Too much talking going on. Not enough action for me. I honestly don't get what the big deal is with this film. What'd I miss?

I hated this movie with a passion. My best friend, an ESFP, loved it. Another INTJ said she liked how realistic it was, but I was just bored. Also, I hated Summer. She was a huge hypocrite, and yes, I know that's the point.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I hated this movie with a passion. My best friend, an ESFP, loved it. Another INTJ said she liked how realistic it was, but I was just bored. Also, I hated Summer. She was a huge hypocrite, and yes, I know that's the point.
Hahaha. I didn't like Tom or Summer, which is another reason I was bored. I didn't care what happened to them.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hahaha. I didn't like Tom or Summer, which is another reason I was bored. I didn't care what happened to them.

I second that opinion.
I really didn't care about them at all.
I also didn't find it funny.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
I haven't seen the movie, but someone said Zooey Deschanel (actor who plays Summer) was INTP and I'm inclined to agree.
ive always felt a noteable familarity with her. the way she stares and her speech mannerisms especially. the characters ive seen her play seemed to have a funny IP element to them.
Tom= INFJ
Summer=INTP

I thought it was pretty good. Kinda thrown for a loop though when she sold out and pulls that 180.

:static: whoo! media support for the infj/intp duo.

*plans to watch it*

Zenihita

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I loved the movie, I thought it was very funny and conveyed a great idea.

Why is Tom a J?

Summer: INTP

Yes, Tom seems INFP not INFJ.
Remember when he asked Summer how her weekend was, and she said it was "gooood" and he assumed it meant she was having sex with some guy she met at the gym and was obviously not interested in him? Well that's what Fi+Ne does to you, no? Jumping to silly conclusions like that, because you have a "gut feeling". I'm guilty of that.

I would first assume Summer to be a feeler, but I'm not sure anymore. But maybe she could be an INFJ? She definitely uses Fe.

And how is Summer a hypocrite? Changing your mind doesn't make you one.

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
Summer was almost the only fictional character I know that pretty much resembles me.
I would say she's iNTP or ENTP, I wouldn't really call her reserved which is typically INTP. Or if she is reserved, then in an ENTP way, because ENTP can start the conversation easily (the episode in elevator) and it really won't be anything special for them, but they find it hard to share stuff about their private life and you have to earn it. And also she's sometimes a bit too random to be an INTP.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Summer was almost the only fictional character I know that pretty much resembles me.
I would say she's iNTP or ENTP, I wouldn't really call her reserved which is typically INTP. Or if she is reserved, then in an ENTP way, because ENTP can start the conversation easily (the episode in elevator) and it really won't be anything special for them, but they find it hard to share stuff about their private life and you have to earn it. And also she's sometimes a bit too random to be an INTP.

She reminded me of myself too ... more than any film character I've seen (ever?).

I'm more animated than she is though.