User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Yes, and he appeared puzzled by her reaction because it apparently was not typical for her to cry like that. I can't see her as anything but a T woman either. The premise of the whole movie is romantic Feeling man meets jaded Thinking woman, IMO.
    Yes, definitely. I've just seen it and I think Tom is an iNFP (his need to have a 'definition' of their relationship seems a little more J, but my overall impression is iNFP), and Summer is an iNTP. I can see the ENTP in the way her character was originally written, but the way Zooey portrays her shifts her more toward the INTP area, imo.

The movie is certainly about the Fi-Ti clash, with the initial 'soulmate-y' feeling of two Ne users. Been there, not nice

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

As an INFP, I'd definitely say Tom is an INFP. That said, I couldn't stand him.

Alright, I'm a bit biased (I recently dealt with a "Tom" who refused to believe that I wasn't in love with him). This movie was completely subjective - that was the point - you could totally empathize with Tom's character and Summer was evil packed in to a skirt. Once Tom lifted his idealist glasses, though, he realized what he hadn't before: that Summer had told him from the start what she was looking for in a relationship, that he saw things that weren't there (flashbacks to the record store, furniture shop, etc), and that she *wasn't* evil packed in to a skirt (the metaphor at the end of the film being her holding his hand - meaning she still cared for him).

Also, at the beginning - "It's Amanda Heller all over again." It seems that he's been through this before. I do feel bad for the guy.

I'm not sure what Summer was because all we saw was his view of her. I guess INTP sounds about right.

beyondaurora

I just watched this movie (I really liked it!) and was absolutely amazed at how much I related to Tom. I have never encountered a character in film with whom I've felt such an affinity. It's uncanny.

Tom is DEFINITELY an NF. No doubt about it. And I'm almost certain he's INFP. It's how he "grew up believing that hed never truly be happy until the day he met the one", it's in the way he values so preciously when Summer "opens up" to him, and it's how his values compel him to quit the greeting card company.

Summer, on the other hand, is an enigma to me. And, perhaps, that is the clue to her type. Their relationship reminds me of a relationship I had with an INTP. I wanted so desperately to "draw out" the side of him that I "knew" he had. It drove me crazy. I also see some SP "cut and run" tendencies in Summer, but (as others have said) there is quite a bit of Ne banter that goes on between them, and there is nothing to point to the ST pairing.

There were times when I thought that Summer was just a hurt and guarded NF. But then I see Tom at the end of the movie, jaded at one point, but bouncing back with the same NF enthusiasm for love with perhaps a bit more life experience to aid him in his next relationship, and then I realize that's more what a hurt NF looks like.

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    I just watched this movie (I really liked it!) and was absolutely amazed at how much I related to Tom. I have never encountered a character in film with whom I've felt such an affinity. It's uncanny.

Tom is DEFINITELY an NF. No doubt about it. And I'm almost certain he's INFP. It's how he "grew up believing that hed never truly be happy until the day he met the one", it's in the way he values so preciously when Summer "opens up" to him, and it's how his values compel him to quit the greeting card company.

Summer, on the other hand, is an enigma to me. And, perhaps, that is the clue to her type. Their relationship reminds me of a relationship I had with an INTP. I wanted so desperately to "draw out" the side of him that I "knew" he had. It drove me crazy. I also see some SP "cut and run" tendencies in Summer.
    i don't think cut and run = sp. i think it = tp.
    just my two cents.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Always thought Tom was an INFP or eNFP...Don't see J in him.

Man...I'm necroing so many cool threads.

MBTI
    ENFP

Summer is an ENTP. She seems introverted if you go category by category but she is soooooooo much like the female ENTPs i know it is eerie.

I think tom is an INFP.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Then ENTPs are scary people to fall in love with, especially since I can relate to Tom so easily.

MBTI
    ENFP

Me too man. I fell in love with an ENTP and it was disastrous. I related to Tom so much because he was a fellow NFP. Its that Nt/NF death spiral. That seems to be exactly what the movies about.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

The whole time I was watching this movie with threads, I kept shrinking in my chair for how eerily similar Summer felt.... Leaving the theatre, all my friends took out their anger at her character on me, in a loving way of course.

My vote is eNTP.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    ...What if neither of them are Ns?

<suspense>
    tom=isfj (screams isfj, and that character would never ever be in love with the smiths. he's not e4, e5, e9-- he's e2)
    summer=intp? (istp wouldn't be out of the question characterwise but zooey seems very Ne to me)

i'm still amazed how people don't easily see Fe in action. all that outward enthusiasm and that awful stomach punch sinking feeling face. uggh, it hurts just thinking about it.

what's zooey's enneagram? i think e5 makes more sense for her (over e3 or e7), which is why i'm more likely to say intp than entp. but she does seem so flighty for a Ti dom. yet she doesn't seem like she has nearly the same outgoing energy as any entp i've ever met, which is much more energizing. i could maybe see 5w4 so/sx? kind of appearing lighter on the surface than she actually is (often an so/sx quality)? if she's entp what enneagram would make sense for her?