First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Airporte View Post
    Though it's been said, she's probably an INTP.

Zooey Deschanel usually portrays INTP characters. Or at least some kind of NT.
    I haven't seen this movie, but I've seen her in others and she does usually seem IxTP. In that "Yes Man" movie she seemed more of an ISTP - definitely Se over Ne in that movie.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Summer: INFP
    Tom: INFJ

As an INTP male, I definitely empathized far more with Summer's character -- what's with the unilateral hatred towards her? Tom was egocentric, superficial, and irrationally moody throughout the entire movie. Moreover, he was completely inattentive to what Summer wanted; in my view, her troubled past fosters a detached attitude in her which she'd like to overcome by confiding in Tom. That's one reason why I'd err on the INFP side of INxP as a classification for her; the other is her crying whilst watching The Graduate (in particular, the stereotypical scene in which the guy stops the girl from marrying the wrong person, right in the nick of time). Tom's behavior seems to be more straightforwardly INFJ, though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I just watched it. I saw Tom as pretty textbook INFP, except for the office emotional outburst (an INFP would more likely boil internally), but that's just movie drama. I could definitely relate to him, except I don't get attached as quickly to people I date and I get over them faster (never really been in love though).

I can see Summer as INTP, borderline ENTP, because she is not that reserved. I didn't like her much either; if she wasn't Zooey Deschanel with a cute wardrobe, she wouldn't be very charming. I think she got off on a technicality when it came to jilting him; she basically said one thing, but her actions said another and it all amounts to playing with his feelings. Not cool in my INFP book.

I got a real Ne-aux on Ne-aux vibe in their relationship when it was going well. Even though the movie was a rather light romantic comedy and the characters weren't developed deeply, it reminded me a bit of brief relationships I've had with INTPs.

I also wish the end was him getting a job at an architecture firm and not meeting a new girl. That would've been soooo much better.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

MBTI
    INFP

When I watched it, I was quite certain:
    Summer= somewhat traumatized ENFJ or possibly INFJ
    Tom= INFP/INTP fictional hybrid. Or a dramatized INFP, with the stuff we feel like doing (but don't do) actually being acted out

I knew an ENFJ just like Summer. She was about the same way, not believing in love and all that, and wanting lots of relationship-type things without the actual follow-through.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by phinny5608 View Post
    Tom= INFP/INTP fictional hybrid. Or a dramatized INFP, with the stuff we feel like doing (but don't do) actually being acted out
    Where do you see the Ti in him? He seems clearly a Feeling man to me. I agree with the bolded part for some instances - but I don't see an INTP acting out the way he did at times either.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Where do you see the Ti in him? He seems clearly a Feeling man to me. I agree with the bolded part for some instances - but I don't see an INTP acting out the way he did at times either.
    I would otherwise completely agree, except that I knew an INTP who (very contrary to stereotype) was oddly prone to expressing his emotions in outbursts or at least poetry. The outbursts and poetry still smacked of the NT or at least T qualities nevertheless, with its deliberate and calculated nature.

The other reason I throw some INTP in there is that he was a lover of architecture, which requires putting the pieces together to make a coherent whole. This is something INTPs do quite well (one of their names is "the architect").

But of course, he was a hopeless romantic in an NF sense, so he had to be predominantly based on some kind of NF. I think this most likely an INFP, but I'm biased obviously.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Begoner View Post
    the other is her crying whilst watching The Graduate (in particular, the stereotypical scene in which the guy stops the girl from marrying the wrong person, right in the nick of time).

How does crying while watching a movie mean you're an INFP?? I cry during sad/melancholy movies ALL THE TIME, because fiction forces an identification with the characters. And if I felt trapped in a relationship I didn't want to be in and saw that movie, I would have cried then too.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    How does crying while watching a movie mean you're an INFP?? I cry during sad/melancholy movies ALL THE TIME, because fiction forces an identification with the characters. And if I felt trapped in a relationship I didn't want to be in and saw that movie, I would have cried then too.
    It's indicative of a more pronounced F; since I was oscillating between INTP and INFP as Summer's type, INFP seemed the more logical choice. That's not to say Ts can't cry during movies, but it's a much more common occurrence among Fs.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Begoner View Post
    It's indicative of a more pronounced F; since I was oscillating between INTP and INFP as Summer's type, INFP seemed the more logical choice. That's not to say Ts can't cry during movies, but it's a much more common occurrence among Fs.
    If I see a movie that ''touches my heart'', even though others consider it completely boring and/or terrible, I can cry and think it's genial. Usually this happen, when I'm watching documentaries. I think they're usually so interesting and nice, while the others think they're just boring and unentertaining.

Also
    INTPs dislike making the first move and tend to mirror the emotional content of the other person.
    That's absolutely not her.
    Oh yeah?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    Yes, and he appeared puzzled by her reaction because it apparently was not typical for her to cry like that. I can't see her as anything but a T woman either. The premise of the whole movie is romantic Feeling man meets jaded Thinking woman, IMO.